West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Ben Cousins offered a job by WCE

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Ben Cousins offered a job by WCE

Postby Pinion King on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Cousins has been offered a job by the WCE.

West Coast, where Cousins played 238 of his 270 AFL matches including the 2006 premiership, will give the fallen star a part-time employment opportunity in their Community and Game Development department.

“The West Coast Eagles is pleased with the news that former captain Ben Cousins has been released from prison today,” the statement read. “This has been a particularly hard time for Ben and his family and we look forward to him beginning the next phase of his life. He has been offered part-time employment by the club, working with our Community and Game Development department, which we believe will have mutual benefits for both parties.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west- ... b88710941z

Brave for a club who is focused on image.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Ben Cousins offered a job by WCE

Postby HH on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Whilst the only person who can turn Ben Cousins’ life around is Ben Cousins himself, I say good on the club for giving him a role that he hopefully can find meaning from and obtain a good support network.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 pm

There is about a 90% chance this will end badly.

But it is the right thing to do and I'm glad the club has done it.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 am

I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/west-coa ... b88711033z
Cousins had accepted the job offer and would begin working part-time in the club’s community and game development department as soon as possible.

Mr Nisbett said the exact details of the role Cousins would play at the club were still being ironed out, but he said he would not be directly involved with the playing group.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 am

Good move by the club. I don't believe the club can tarnish the brand by giving Ben a chance to find his feet at this point in time. It will be a hard road ahead but baby steps now and fingers crossed that there will be giant strides in the future.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbird on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 am

Despite what he has cost the club through his past actions - and the pain he has caused supporters, more than ten years have gone by and I welcome him back to the club in a formal capacity. I genuinely hope this is a turning point in his life - for his kids to have a role model and a father in their lives.

Good luck Cuz.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am

Do the doubters and naysayers truly think that a former captain with drug addiction problems can bring down the club from a part time role working in Community and Game Development????!!??

No need to worry about the club’s reputation, the powers that be will look after that. And they are rightly putting his welfare ahead of any possible “taint” to the club’s reputation by showing compassion to a former stalwart of this club.

And make no mistake, Ben Cousins is solely responsible in my view for where he is now and what he has squandered away. But his life and his welfare are still invaluable and good on the club for doing its bit here.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am

I think it is great news. Hopefully the club though understands addiction and that a relapse is likely. If the club truly wants to help Cuz then when that relapse occurs they need to stay strong and on side with him and his family.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am

It's the right thing to do - the club did fail to really understand the issue back then, and should try to at least assist Cousins to be a normal citizen. Ultimately, this is the same as the club showing forbearance when it comes to the utterings of Daniel Chick (which must be hard after his sabotage in the 2015 GF lead up).

That said, this role would have to come with a bunch of very strong caveats - no breaches of VROs, no associations with certain people, and obviously no evidence of drug or alcohol issues (I'd imagine it would, and should come with regular testing). This is a chance that comes well after most people's last chances have long come and gone, he'd need to prove that he deserves it now.

Cousins could have had the world at his feet and right royally fucked it up, and the responsibility lies with him, not anyone else. But people who perhaps could have intervened didn't, and this is some amends toward that. For the last few years, the question has been when will the story not be "Cousins in trouble", but possibly "Cousins found dead" - so you can hope that some peripheral involvement in the one area of his life that has been successful might help that not come to pass.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mead on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Mr Q wrote:It's the right thing to do - the club did fail to really understand the issue back then, and should try to at least assist Cousins to be a normal citizen. Ultimately, this is the same as the club showing forbearance when it comes to the utterings of Daniel Chick (which must be hard after his sabotage in the 2015 GF lead up).

That said, this role would have to come with a bunch of very strong caveats - no breaches of VROs, no associations with certain people, and obviously no evidence of drug or alcohol issues (I'd imagine it would, and should come with regular testing). This is a chance that comes well after most people's last chances have long come and gone, he'd need to prove that he deserves it now.

Cousins could have had the world at his feet and right royally fucked it up, and the responsibility lies with him, not anyone else. But people who perhaps could have intervened didn't, and this is some amends toward that. For the last few years, the question has been when will the story not be "Cousins in trouble", but possibly "Cousins found dead" - so you can hope that some peripheral involvement in the one area of his life that has been successful might help that not come to pass.

Completely agree with all that.

With the benefit of (unrealistic) hindsight, but there's no doubt the club could have done a much much better job of preventing things from spiralling out of control from about 2000-2005, they didn't and the rest is history. If they think there's anything they can usefully do now, they should do it.

That said, I just hope everyone realises its not really a question of 'last chance' or things like that. According to his lawyer, Cousins was regularly using 2 grams of meth a day. If that is accurate, that is long term, permanent or semi-permanent brain damage territory, and the idea that you use at that level and suddenly magically stop one day is ridiculous. Most people who get to that level of use will struggle with it for the rest of their life.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Mead wrote:
That said, I just hope everyone realises its not really a question of 'last chance' or things like that. According to his lawyer, Cousins was regularly using 2 grams of meth a day. If that is accurate, that is long term, permanent or semi-permanent brain damage territory, and the idea that you use at that level and suddenly magically stop one day is ridiculous. Most people who get to that level of use will struggle with it for the rest of their life.

Indeed. I think the fact that most people who have thought about his situation have also contemplated him dying an untimely death. Everyone (including the club) realises his long term health and his life are at stake. I think we've all progressed from the standing ovation "we applaud all u have overcome" fiasco.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am

The guy was a high functioning addict. it was amazing that he had the discipline to hold off his addiction during the AFL season.

History shows he has been a serious long term user, i highly doubt he will ever get of the gear. A real shame.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Short leash, and ZERO tolerance for any of his bullshit.

... at least I HOPE that's the policy.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-12/y ... en-cousins

I didn't think he was going to have access to players?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles