Advanced  

Latest Result

Qualifying Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus



Trade Targets 2017

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 am

farmer joe wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Both players realise they would be competing for spots at the eagles and prefer to walk straight into a team at Freo (like hill, kersten, mccarthy).

You nailed it.


This is actually why I have a huge amount of respect for Redden. He came to a team with a depth of inside mids, knowing he would have to fight for his role. It probably didn't work out as he has expected just yet, but jeez that shows some willingness to improve.

Some blokes are just happy to get paid to play AFL football... others want genuine success at the level.
CouchPotato
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 am

CouchPotato wrote:
farmer joe wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Both players realise they would be competing for spots at the eagles and prefer to walk straight into a team at Freo (like hill, kersten, mccarthy).

You nailed it.


This is actually why I have a huge amount of respect for Redden. He came to a team with a depth of inside mids, knowing he would have to fight for his role. It probably didn't work out as he has expected just yet, but jeez that shows some willingness to improve.

Some blokes are just happy to get paid to play AFL football... others want genuine success at the level.


Mate, i guarantee you Redden will more than step up in Priddis' role next year. By round 16 next year we will say that moving priddis on was in hindsight the right call.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Mead on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Mate, i guarantee you Redden will more than step up in Priddis' role next year. By round 16 next year we will say that moving priddis on was in hindsight the right call.


I think there is a lot of truth to that- Redden and Sheed have looked far better this year whenever either or both of Mitchell and Priddis have been kept out of the midfield.

Slowish inside extractors are about the least versatile
players on a list- there's not much they can do if they're not getting a regular gig in the centre square.
User avatar
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:51 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Mead wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Mate, i guarantee you Redden will more than step up in Priddis' role next year. By round 16 next year we will say that moving priddis on was in hindsight the right call.


I think there is a lot of truth to that- Redden and Sheed have looked far better this year whenever either or both of Mitchell and Priddis have been kept out of the midfield.

Slowish inside extractors are about the least versatile
players on a list- there's not much they can do if they're not getting a regular gig in the centre square.


Agreed - the game has moved beyond the real slow 'tank' inside midfielder.

Watson (Ess), Thompson (Adelaide), Priddis are all of that body type, and all used to be highly valued in their teams and are all now retired.
CouchPotato
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby jourgo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

CouchPotato wrote:Agreed - the game has moved beyond the real slow 'tank' inside midfielder.

Watson (Ess), Thompson (Adelaide), Priddis are all of that body type, and all used to be highly valued in their teams and are all now retired.


I don't think that's true at all. There is absolutely a place for bottom of the pack extractors. The three examples you've given are all at the end of their careers. If they were all mid-20s they'd still be highly valued.

Just my opinion.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
User avatar
jourgo
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: Sunshine Studios

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Fat Side wrote:
MrWoollie wrote:What is it with players wanting to come back to WA of late? They all seem to want to go to and end up at the Muppets. McCarthy, Hill, Bennel, Hamling spring to mind.
Now they are talking Wilson (GWS) and Matera (GC). Both in the Muppet Mix.

We don't ever seem to be in the running anymore.

What I cannot understand is:
1. Why are we so unattractive to ex WA players?, and
2. Why would anyone want to play for that shit-stain club anyway?


We did trade for Kennedy, Wellingham, Cripps, Yeo and Jetta. Redden also chose to come here. I'm not sure what the issue is.

I was really looking at the recent and now years. Kennedy (if I remember) was somewhat reluctant to leave but was the 'steak knives' for Judd and was back in 2007. Wellingham was 2012, Cripps was 2012, Yeo 2013, Jetta was a player swap and either club was good enough to get him home over an 'I want to go specifically to...' type deal. Redden is the only one recently that wanted us specifically.

Bennel - Muppets or nothing, McCarthy (can see why he said Muppets with our forwards), Wilson and Matera aren't even mentioned as interested in us (Muppets or nothing). Add Mitch McGovern to the list, came down to stay with Adelaide or go to the Muppets. We were just dismissed again.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/will-alex-fasolo-land-at-west-coast-or-freo-bc-5574629595001
It all depends on the price. Bidding war - no thanks. Third rounder - give him a crack.

We have to remember that recruiting mid career (age 25ish) players is a limited sum game.
1. You are only getting a player for 1/2 a career, so need to do it twice as often as drafting at 18.
2. You are buying at the peak of the market.
3. Except in desperate to move situations you need inducements, usually money or long contract.
4. You will have the player for 'the declining years' of his career.
5. Salary cap. Long contracts that include the declining years can be costly. Virtually all players are paid the most in the peak and post-peak years and less in the developing/pre-peak years, despite output in the pre-peak years at least matching that in the declining years.

The last thing you want is a list full of mid tier, declining, 27-30 year olds on good coin and years to run on the 5 year deal they were recruited on.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 am

MrWoollie wrote:
Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/will-alex-fasolo-land-at-west-coast-or-freo-bc-5574629595001
It all depends on the price. Bidding war - no thanks. Third rounder - give him a crack.

We have to remember that recruiting mid career (age 25ish) players is a limited sum game.
1. You are only getting a player for 1/2 a career, so need to do it twice as often as drafting at 18.
2. You are buying at the peak of the market.
3. Except in desperate to move situations you need inducements, usually money or long contract.
4. You will have the player for 'the declining years' of his career.
5. Salary cap. Long contracts that include the declining years can be costly. Virtually all players are paid the most in the peak and post-peak years and less in the developing/pre-peak years, despite output in the pre-peak years at least matching that in the declining years.

The last thing you want is a list full of mid tier, declining, 27-30 year olds on good coin and years to run on the 5 year deal they were recruited on.


I generally agree with you but given FA there is every chance you will need to draft twice anyway. that 17 yo kid may want to exercise his FA right and leave after 8 years (is there a chance it may be reduced to 6?)

Fasolo for the right price would be a great addition, but i don't think that type of player should be high on West Coasts recruiting priorities.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 am

Sounds like Kelly is staying with Giants.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
MrWoollie wrote:
Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/will-alex-fasolo-land-at-west-coast-or-freo-bc-5574629595001
It all depends on the price. Bidding war - no thanks. Third rounder - give him a crack.

We have to remember that recruiting mid career (age 25ish) players is a limited sum game.
1. You are only getting a player for 1/2 a career, so need to do it twice as often as drafting at 18.
2. You are buying at the peak of the market.
3. Except in desperate to move situations you need inducements, usually money or long contract.
4. You will have the player for 'the declining years' of his career.
5. Salary cap. Long contracts that include the declining years can be costly. Virtually all players are paid the most in the peak and post-peak years and less in the developing/pre-peak years, despite output in the pre-peak years at least matching that in the declining years.

The last thing you want is a list full of mid tier, declining, 27-30 year olds on good coin and years to run on the 5 year deal they were recruited on.


I generally agree with you but given FA there is every chance you will need to draft twice anyway. that 17 yo kid may want to exercise his FA right and leave after 8 years (is there a chance it may be reduced to 6?)

Fasolo for the right price would be a great addition, but i don't think that type of player should be high on West Coasts recruiting priorities.


Fasolo is a better proposition than Brandon Matera. At 25 and 100 games you would get Fasolo as he heads into his peak years. Like everything else it will all depend on the price. Is he out of contract?
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby farmer joe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Fat Side wrote:Fasolo is a better proposition than Brandon Matera. At 25 and 100 games you would get Fasolo as he heads into his peak years. Like everything else it will all depend on the price. Is he out of contract?

I agree Fasolo > Matera but I think we should skip both.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Fasolo is a better proposition than Brandon Matera. At 25 and 100 games you would get Fasolo as he heads into his peak years. Like everything else it will all depend on the price. Is he out of contract?

I agree Fasolo > Matera but I think we should skip both.


Fasolo seems high risk given his issues but I'd be happy if we paid next to nothing, see if he can reinvent himself. The woods will make it too hard.

Matera should have come home to us years ago, now there is a question mark over him ever living up to early promise, again if he is very cheep.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 am

Some talk that we are interested in Brendon Ah Chee. He is out of contract and wants a trade.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:58 am

Pinion King wrote:Some talk that we are interested in Brendon Ah Chee. He is out of contract and wants a trade.


If we are then we are crazy. He has been a fringe player at Port for years. Not what we need
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fat Side, MrWoollie and 2 guests

cron