(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Postby CouchPotato on Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 am

Streaker wrote:
Bigbird wrote:
Streaker wrote:Out : Butler
IN : Venables

Time Venables was exposed to the higher level, think we can cover Butler without losing much down back.

B : Wellingham - Barrass - Yeo
HB : Hurn - McGovern - Sheppard

Would that have an impact on being able to free up Yeo to play through the middle? Or potentially Hurn/Shep pushing up the ground. I can't see Butler being dropped, despite not setting the world on fire. Hill had an average game.

I'm all for continuing with Duggan, very promising player. Despite putting on some KGs in the off season though he still seems undersize and get's pushed off the ball too easily. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped down the track for another youngster to get a crack.

I think any changes this week will be on balance.

Very minimal impact if any. Butler is only used as an outlet kick under extreme circumstances. He doesn't win his own ball, doesn't take any contested marks and only 9 disposals for the game. Mitchell is dropping back in defence for the majority of the game as is Masten. Mutimer could use his pace down back and Nelson will probably take his position after the bye. I just think it's important to get game time into Venables now rather than leaving him in the WAFL and waiting for an injury.

Not sure why you'd take out our small defender when we're playing a team with 3 dangerous small forwards - Fantasia, Green and Mcdonald-T.

I do like the idea of bringing in Venables - but should be in Mutimer's spot as a small forward
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Streaker on Tue May 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Looking at the latest injury list Cripps and Nelson are in the mix for selection. According to this http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/i ... -selection both could be right to go which would mean Butler and Mutimer could miss.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Streaker wrote:Looking at the latest injury list Cripps and Nelson are in the mix for selection. According to this http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/i ... -selection both could be right to go which would mean Butler and Mutimer could miss.

I can live with Nelson for Butler. Would like to keep Mutimer to give him a good run but Cripps (if really 100%) is currently our best defensive small forward and has to fit in somehow.
Afl.com talk about Petrie being a maybe. I cannot see what he offers over what McInnes did in the last match. Or Vardy for that matter. Or Giles if we drop one of them.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Tue May 16, 2017 4:01 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Streaker wrote:Looking at the latest injury list Cripps and Nelson are in the mix for selection. According to this http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/i ... -selection both could be right to go which would mean Butler and Mutimer could miss.

I can live with Nelson for Butler. Would like to keep Mutimer to give him a good run but Cripps (if really 100%) is currently our best defensive small forward and has to fit in somehow.
Afl.com talk about Petrie being a maybe. I cannot see what he offers over what McInnes did in the last match. Or Vardy for that matter. Or Giles if we drop one of them.

Finally we are starting to have some legit selection options, which is a welcome change. Pressure on guys in the team to perform, rather than just "oh fuck ... another one has gone down! who we got left that's healthy to chuck into the team??"
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am

Venables on the weekend. Looking good.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video ... al-display

Nelson and Cripps offer us more in speed.

I'd like to see Mutimer keep his spot but he will make way for Cripps. Nelson v Butler is interesting, Butler offers us some experience and a cool head, Nelson offers us aggression and some good run.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 am

Pinion King wrote:Venables on the weekend. Looking good.

I'd like to see Mutimer keep his spot but he will make way for Cripps. Nelson v Butler is interesting, Butler offers us some experience and a cool head, Nelson offers us aggression and some good run.

I wouldn't mind seeing venebles playing as a HFF soon.

We jsut have to be tough and hard in the middle and make sure the scum dont get their running game on otherwise we will be killed in transition.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Venables on the weekend. Looking good.

I wouldn't mind seeing venebles playing as a HFF soon.

We jsut have to be tough and hard in the middle and make sure the scum dont get their running game on otherwise we will be killed in transition.

We need to start getting more players rotating through the midfield so we're not so one dimensional.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Wed May 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Sorry for the delay getting this critical part of EFH up and going this time around....
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Thu May 18, 2017 12:48 pm

So any chance at all that Daniel Venables gets a game?

I'm holding out hope based on the fact the Eagles made a point of releasing highlights of Mutimer in the WAFL the few days before he made his debut... and now they've done the same thing with Venables. A debut back in Melbourne in front of his parents... could be ideal.

The kid is a ready made AFL player... only lack of fitness could be keeping him out. Can't wait to see him debut.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Thu May 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Total Package wrote:So any chance at all that Daniel Venables gets a game?

I'm holding out hope based on the fact the Eagles made a point of releasing highlights of Mutimer in the WAFL the few days before he made his debut... and now they've done the same thing with Venables. A debut back in Melbourne in front of his parents... could be ideal.

The kid is a ready made AFL player... only lack of fitness could be keeping him out. Can't wait to see him debut.

I agree. He looks like getting an opportunity this year. I'm not sure his fitness is quite there yet, but barring injuries, I expect that he will debut soon. Looks a ripper.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby WCE06 on Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm loving the injection of youth this year, all of the young kids we've tried out so far are starting to grow in stature. Bodes well especially when you factor in Venables, Watson and Rioli who haven't even had games yet. As for the game against Essendon this is a real danger game for us especially as we cop GWS the week after. The next two weeks are crucial for us in terms of top four. Sweep this fortnight headed into the bye and we are in the box seat.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Cripps, Petrie, Nelson all added to the bench, no one dropped yet.

INTERCHANGE FROM*
8 Jack Redden
12 Sharrod Wellingham
15 Jamie Cripps
21 Drew Petrie
30 Jackson Nelson
33 Josh Hill
38 Kurt Mutimer
*Three to be omitted
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Pinion King wrote:Cripps, Petrie, Nelson all added to the bench, no one dropped yet.

INTERCHANGE FROM*
8 Jack Redden
12 Sharrod Wellingham
15 Jamie Cripps
21 Drew Petrie
30 Jackson Nelson
33 Josh Hill
38 Kurt Mutimer
*Three to be omitted

With both Vardy and McInnes in the starting lineup why even name Petrie? Surely there is no way we would play all three?
Nelson is the natural for Butler but also a starter.
That leaves Redden, Wellingham, Cripps, Hill and Mutimer. I would suggest either Hill or Mutimer will miss out with Hill being my preference.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 am

MrWoollie wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Cripps, Petrie, Nelson all added to the bench, no one dropped yet.

INTERCHANGE FROM*
8 Jack Redden
12 Sharrod Wellingham
15 Jamie Cripps
21 Drew Petrie
30 Jackson Nelson
33 Josh Hill
38 Kurt Mutimer
*Three to be omitted

With both Vardy and McInnes in the starting lineup why even name Petrie? Surely there is no way we would play all three?
Nelson is the natural for Butler but also a starter.
That leaves Redden, Wellingham, Cripps, Hill and Mutimer. I would suggest either Hill or Mutimer will miss out with Hill being my preference.

Butler is named in the starting 22 so he will play.

Mutimer will miss for Cripps
Petrie will not play (Vardy and McInnes are in the starting 22)
Nelson will come in for Wellingham
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby The Boat on Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am

WCE06 wrote: The next two weeks are crucial for us in terms of top four. Sweep this fortnight headed into the bye and we are in the box seat.

100%, this is a huuuge fortnight. Lets hope we can get out of second gear at some stage and play somewhere near our best.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles