(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 5 - West Coast V Hawthorn

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 am

Fat Side wrote:
Total Package wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:Its simple they must win

If they lose again at the MCG......well :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I fully expect we will probably lose... because as far as I can see from Round 3 until now we suddenly didn't get quicker in the midfield and the MCG just badly exposes that.

The loss to Richmond had little to do with lack of pace and more to do with lack of desire to maintain intensity. Subiaco is bigger than the MCG so if the MCG exposes a lack of pace, it would be exacerbated at Subiaco.

More pace will not win a game unless we're prepared to put sufficient pressure on opposition ball carriers for the full four quarters.

I expect us to win this game.

yep i think its purely mental, richmond wanted a win a hell of alot more than the eagles.

I still feel this team is just coasting, whatever false desire they had pre-season seems gone. Either this or the competition is extremely even.

Sad to say but a loss on sunday and i will be losing some faith in these players. Next weeks game certainly isnt a soda, i expect those muppets to lift as they always do for their bi-annual premiership game.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am

The loss to Richmond was also kicking accuracy related - cant kick 8 goals 14 and win many matches these days

The Sydney game was the same, with us kicking 13.13 and really but for a really great shot by Shuey in the last quarter, that could have been a very different outcome.

This Hawthorn team will give us opportunities unlike any other in the past through their turnovers. We need to punish them regularly to win this game.

Pressure around the ball needs to be a given, but I agree that the Eagles drop off the pressure all to regularly in games. How many times did we work for ages to kick a goal, only for Sydney to get an immediate response?
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:54 am

Mead wrote:Have to admit there's a part of me that thinks the $2.75 Hawthorn is paying for the win is extraordinarily value.

We are playing a side which will be stung into action and more importantly which still has way too many players who know exactly how to pick us apart at the G.

Not that I like commenting on odds, but they've just lost two games by 86 points each. That's why.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Total Package wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:Its simple they must win

If they lose again at the MCG......well :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I fully expect we will probably lose... because as far as I can see from Round 3 until now we suddenly didn't get quicker in the midfield and the MCG just badly exposes that.

The loss to Richmond had little to do with lack of pace and more to do with lack of desire to maintain intensity. Subiaco is bigger than the MCG so if the MCG exposes a lack of pace, it would be exacerbated at Subiaco.

More pace will not win a game unless we're prepared to put sufficient pressure on opposition ball carriers for the full four quarters.

I expect us to win this game.

Different shaped ground. At Subiaco we find lots of open space on the wings and play to that strength because we draft long distance runners. When we do that at the MCG we get chopped up as at the MCG you need to play through the middle and that's where we struggle for pace.

Having said that... the games we lose at Subiaco it's no surprise are against teams with pace, skill and quick ball movement by hand. Look at what the Bulldogs did in the final. Hell look at what St Kilda did to us for 3 quarters only a few weeks back.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Will be interesting to see the final line-up. Usually see the 18 players named on the field maintain their spot and 3 removed from the bench but can't help but feel it is too tall, especially seeing as we lacked any sort of run last time at the G and we would be going in with virtually a swap of Schofield for Mitchell.

Interesting that we've kept all the talls from last weeks game - I think we are too tall.

I am hoping we are dropping Vardy for Sheed and then playing Darling / McGovern as the backup Ruck. Vardy is just not dangerous enough forward or in the ruck - at least Darling and Mcgovern will be great when they rest forward.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Which emergencies travelled? Sheed and Karpany are absent for EP. Hutchings is playing.

I suspect a late change to reduce the number of talls. Vickery was left out so we may be keeping our options open.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Fat Side wrote:Which emergencies travelled? Sheed and Karpany are absent for EP. Hutchings is playing.

I suspect a late change to reduce the number of talls. Vickery was left out so we may be keeping our options open.

I read somewhere that both Sheed and karpany flew over.

I think we have to make a change - going in too tall is insane when Hawthorn's most dangerous path to attack is rioli and Puopolo. Sheed for Vardy is my vote
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby farmer joe on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

CouchPotato wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Which emergencies travelled? Sheed and Karpany are absent for EP. Hutchings is playing.

I think we have to make a change - going in too tall is insane when Hawthorn's most dangerous path to attack is rioli and Puopolo. Sheed for Vardy is my vote

My thoughts are it will be Giles for Sheed. No need for a lumbering big man today and need Vardy up and going to be successful this year.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the went in too tall, trying to "expose" their lack of height.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 am

farmer joe wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:

My thoughts are it will be Giles for Sheed. No need for a lumbering big man today and need Vardy up and going to be successful this year.

Giles' ruckwaork was critical in the last quarter against Sydney. Unless he is injured he will play. Vardy isn't having an impact up forward so he is the obvious out should they elect to go with a smaller side.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:59 am

lazzas wrote:Speaking of moving people could Darling be a mid?

Yes, though probably not a full time mid, however I have thought for some time he should be started mid at the centre bounces more often so that he; A) might learn the trade, B) have and influence with his competitive nature, skill and big body, C) get some touch as sometimes he gets locked down as a forward and could do with a second role in the team. Some people will say; 'oh no he is a forward and should be played as a forward' but I think the best teams are always the ones that invest in making the team flexible and unpredictable.
Last edited by Fair Bump Play On on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
lazzas wrote:Speaking of moving people could Darling be a mid?

Yes, though probably not a full time mid, however I have thought for some time he should be started mid at the centre bounces more often so that he; A) might learn the trade, B) have and influence with his competitive nature, skill and big body, C) get some touch as sometimes he gets locked down as a forward and could do will a second role in the team. Some people will say; 'oh no he is a forward and should be played as a forward' but I think the best teams are always the ones that invest in making the team flexible and unpredictable.

Darling would need to trim down and up his aerobic capacity to play as a mid. I also don't think he has the intelligence for the midfield.

Darling 191cm , 95kg
Pendlebury - 191cm , 91kg
Bontempelli - 193cm , 92kg
Cripps - 195cm , 93kg
Fyfe - 190cm , 91kg
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I agree and that's why I say I don't think he would make a full time mid. However all positions on the field run a lot these days so I don't think short bursts in the centre would add much burden to his current workload. I also think he is plenty smart enough or at least natural footballer to learn a new role in the center and would probably benefit from the challenge.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbird on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm

I remember posting some years back on Darling in the middle. I had a conversation with a coach who had also made a comment about Darling's intelligence and likelihood to have a brain fade, which was a major reason against him getting serious time in the middle. He certainly has the physical attributes to do well in there though.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Giles out for Sheed

Vardy and someone to carry the ruck - I would prefer Giles stay in and drop Vardy, but we shall see
CouchPotato
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles