Game Focus

Next Season: 2017

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Next Season: 2017

Postby Pinion King on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:04 pm

It seems eerily similar to 2015.

- MacKenzie went down, it was Brown's chance to shine. He went down.
- Nic Nat goes down, Lycett's turn to shine. He went down.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 am

Mead wrote:Dreadful to be going into rd 1 with your first and second choice ruckman both unavailable for at least the first half of the season.

Especially when your 3rd choice is a spud, your 4th choice is raw and injury prone, and your 5th choice is a broken down old hack who hasn't rucked in a decade.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mead wrote:Dreadful to be going into rd 1 with your first and second choice ruckman both unavailable for at least the first half of the season.

Especially when your 3rd choice is a spud, your 4th choice is raw and injury prone, and your 5th choice is a broken down old hack who hasn't rucked in a decade.

pls get over it.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:36 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

pls get over it.

+1
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:23 am

Abbreviations are for other groups on the internet, not on this site. Please use correct English.

We should make the top eight. Win round one and I will be very optimistic.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm

DALBY wrote:Abbreviations are for other groups on the internet, not on this site. Please use correct English.

OK
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby ruckroving on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:21 pm

64 VENABLES, Daniel 20 8 12 5 1 0 0 2 0

Yesterday in the reserves. He must have got through OK. Let's hope he's available for AFL before too long.
ruckroving
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

From all reports Watson performed very well. 27 disposals, of which 17 were kicks.

I read that the Eagles prefer to use Vardy/Petrie rather than Giles.

I think Hutchings and Redden are fighting for the same spot.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:From all reports Watson performed very well. 27 disposals, of which 17 were kicks.

I read that the Eagles prefer to use Vardy/Petrie rather than Giles.

I think Hutchings and Redden are fighting for the same spot.

Watson was very good. He will play AFL this year if he remains consistent. Fitness needs to improve as his numbers dropped off later in the game. Excellent young player
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 am

Fantastic article by Hagdorn

http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/eagle ... v1rxl.html

The gov must go FORWARD at some stage

Been harping on this for years !!!
Who can The PRIDDA man can

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Would love to see it, but whenever we have tried him up forward it has really impacted our defense- both with intercept marks and attacking forays from half-back (was it the collingwood game last year?)

If we were going to do that, you'd see Barrass, Mckenzie and Schofield in defense and Mcgovern up forward. Looking at those 3 talls on the backline though, you would think that we'd lose a lot of run and penetration off the half-back line. I think the loss there is greater than the 'gain' we might get from him as a forward.

Having said that, definitely worth a try - throw someone like Jetta on half back for some extra run and easy posessions, Mcgovern forward and see what we get. The 3 talls should be able to patrol the back 50 for any high balls, leaving Hurn, Jetta and Wellingham to be more attacking

Given we haven't seen it in the pre-season comp, I'm not hopeful.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Total Package on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am

Nothing earth shattering from Hagdorn there that most haven't been saying for ages which is we need McGovern in the Adam Hunter type role. The problem has been that we keep losing key backmen and McGovern keeps having to go back there to plug the gaps. Now that Barrass is coming through it should free us up.

Whilst it's ok to say Kennedy, Darling, LeCras etc. have failed on the big stage it's because of our midfielders have been getting smashed. They are leading forwards and need good delivery. I wouldn't call any of them contested markers in the way McGovern is... so that alone is one reason.

Also I saw Barrass went forward in the last 10 mins of the East Perth game on the weekend... and kicked a few goals. Much in the same way McGovern could go forward I could see Barrass do the same.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Total Package wrote:Whilst it's ok to say Kennedy, Darling, LeCras etc. have failed on the big stage it's because of our midfielders have been getting smashed. They are leading forwards and need good delivery. I wouldn't call any of them contested markers in the way McGovern is... so that alone is one reason.

Also I saw Barrass went forward in the last 10 mins of the East Perth game on the weekend... and kicked a few goals. Much in the same way McGovern could go forward I could see Barrass do the same.

They key for Darling, LeCras and Kennedy is how do they find goals when the delivery is sub-optimal? Hopefully an opportunist goal sneak like Rioli may be the long term remedy, but the coach also has to consider that, if those three cannot be effective when the delivery is poor, who can? Who can create opportunities out of very little? If JK/JD/ML can't, we need to move one aside and replace him with one who can.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Total Package wrote:Whilst it's ok to say Kennedy, Darling, LeCras etc. have failed on the big stage it's because of our midfielders have been getting smashed. They are leading forwards and need good delivery. I wouldn't call any of them contested markers in the way McGovern is... so that alone is one reason.

They key for Darling, LeCras and Kennedy is how do they find goals when the delivery is sub-optimal? Hopefully an opportunist goal sneak like Rioli may be the long term remedy, but the coach also has to consider that, if those three cannot be effective when the delivery is poor, who can? Who can create opportunities out of very little? If JK/JD/ML can't, we need to move one aside and replace him with one who can.

Yes I agree... we are a small forward short. These guys only need to make a contest for the small forwards... hoping Rioli is an answer.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby penrith eagle on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am

Kevin Bartlett can go suck a dick

Sue the prick West Coast
Who can The PRIDDA man can

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles