Matt Quinn • 23 Jul 2016
Round 17 Preview: Carlton v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 16 Jul 2016
Round 16 Preview: West Coast v North Melbourne
Matt Quinn • 09 Jul 2016

RANT: one thing i hate.................

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:36 am

DALBY wrote:Stuck in a hard spot.

My better half rang this morning and told my our 7 year old daughter was getting bullied by 11 year old boys about her bike etc. Part of me wants to go to the parents of these boys but I know the school will not allow it. I could go up to these boys myself and have a chat, but that will probably make things worse. Our son who is 10 tomorrow is too nice, but I might just ask him to go up to these boys and say stop picking on my sister. I'm not sure what else to do. My better half will speak to the principal this afternoon about it, but I I know it will fall on deaf ears, as these days the school can not do anything about it. Thoughts people? I know bullying is a part of life when you are young, but I just want to deter it a little. Has anyone else gone through this? What was the outcome? Please help?

Meet with the Principal (which you're doing). Ensure that, after the meeting that there is an outcome...what action will they take? What do you need to do? etc. Before concluding the meeting arrange a follow up meeting to discuss progress and results of action taken. Document every meeting, discussion/conversation including times/dates, those involved and agreed outcomes. Forward this to the Principal by email.

Make sure that you document every time your daughter complains of being bullied and what words or force were used. (dates/times)

In the meantime scrutinise the school's website and read their bullying policy, business plan, values and strategic plan. Those documents should outline their bullying policy and what they stand for. Take note of things such as 'harmony', 'mutual respect', 'responsibility' etc and use those to advocate for your child. Ensure the school complies with their values...unfortunately many don't or they have a skewed view of compliance.

Bullying can devastate kids and, if not stopped, the bullies flourish and it gets worse. It is likely that these kids are bullying other kids too.

Good luck
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (The Silk Solution) Rioli & Paddy (Irish) Brophy
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:46 am

Fat Side wrote:

My better half rang this morning and told my our 7 year old daughter was getting bullied by 11 year old boys about her bike etc. Part of me wants to go to the parents of these boys but I know the school will not allow it. I could go up to these boys myself and have a chat, but that will probably make things worse. Our son who is 10 tomorrow is too nice, but I might just ask him to go up to these boys and say stop picking on my sister. I'm not sure what else to do. My better half will speak to the principal this afternoon about it, but I I know it will fall on deaf ears, as these days the school can not do anything about it. Thoughts people? I know bullying is a part of life when you are young, but I just want to deter it a little. Has anyone else gone through this? What was the outcome? Please help?

Meet with the Principal (which you're doing). Ensure that, after the meeting that there is an outcome...what action will they take? What do you need to do? etc. Before concluding the meeting arrange a follow up meeting to discuss progress and results of action taken. Document every meeting, discussion/conversation including times/dates, those involved and agreed outcomes. Forward this to the Principal by email.

Make sure that you document every time your daughter complains of being bullied and what words or force were used. (dates/times)

In the meantime scrutinise the school's website and read their bullying policy, business plan, values and strategic plan. Those documents should outline their bullying policy and what they stand for. Take note of things such as 'harmony', 'mutual respect', 'responsibility' etc and use those to advocate for your child. Ensure the school complies with their values...unfortunately many don't or they have a skewed view of compliance.

Bullying can devastate kids and, if not stopped, the bullies flourish and it gets worse. It is likely that these kids are bullying other kids too.

Good luck

Cheers for the input. Will do.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Anchovies

Pizza joint snuck em into my "works" the other night. Why do they even exist?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby hendo1963 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:30 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Anchovies

A pizza is not a pizza without them.
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby wce1293 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Start by letting the school handle it and take action if nothing is done. Years ago my son was verbally abused and grabbed by another parent for bullying her daughter (according to the daughter). He was distraught when I picked him up so I went straight to the teacher. She involved the principal immediately. The abusive parent was called in and spoken to. The teacher monitored their behavior for a few days and it turns out all along the girl had been and still was bullying my son. He didn't say anything because he didn't want her to get into trouble. When spoken to by the teacher and principal, she admitted it and said it was because she liked him. I privately let the other parent know what I thought of her, in no uncertain terms. I was lucky our school handled it beautifully.
wce1293
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:00 am

The School was really good, It hasn't happened since and better yet I haven't got involved at all. I explained ed the situation to her older brother and he said if it happened again, just come and tell him. So proud of him. These boys are well known for causing trouble so it wasn't anything new. My daughter will have the confidence to stand up for herself when she's older. Still a little young just yet.

Thanks for the input wce1293. Much appreciated.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:46 am

the inefficiencies of cento-link. First time we've ever had to use them since we were uni students (for maternity leave), fuck what a nightmare of a process. I honestly think they make it this hard so people just give up. Fuck that we work hard, pay taxes, about time we get something back for nothing.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 am

Car Salesmen. Trying to buy a new car as we expand the family, and it is impossible to get a straight answer from them. Have had so many comments like 'this is our best offer, there is no profit left on this for us' and then (after a counter offer from a competitor) they somehow manage to find another few thousand to drop off. Amazing.

Blatant lies about stock availability (trying to get rid off old / lower quality stock) and amazing add-on fees at the last minute.

We've been at multiple dealers and come to an agreement, then there's a final contract offer with a lower quality car, at the same price, or there's all sorts of new fees included. Why on earth would we accept the lower quality car after finally agreeing a deal? Do they think we wouldn't notice? Seriously...

I get that they are trying to get the best deal for them, as everyone is in life, but blatant lies and bullshit really pisses me off. Don't treat people like idiots. Buying a car is easily the worst retail experience going around at the moment.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby DALBY on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:25 am

CouchPotato wrote:Car Salesmen. Trying to buy a new car as we expand the family, and it is impossible to get a straight answer from them. Have had so many comments like 'this is our best offer, there is no profit left on this for us' and then (after a counter offer from a competitor) they somehow manage to find another few thousand to drop off. Amazing.

Blatant lies about stock availability (trying to get rid off old / lower quality stock) and amazing add-on fees at the last minute.

We've been at multiple dealers and come to an agreement, then there's a final contract offer with a lower quality car, at the same price, or there's all sorts of new fees included. Why on earth would we accept the lower quality car after finally agreeing a deal? Do they think we wouldn't notice? Seriously...

I get that they are trying to get the best deal for them, as everyone is in life, but blatant lies and bullshit really pisses me off. Don't treat people like idiots. Buying a car is easily the worst retail experience going around at the moment.

Where was this? It wasn't John Hughes Volkswagon Victoria Park was it? Used car salesman are worse, they talk crap and most people listen funnily enough.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:56 am

DALBY wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:Car Salesmen. Trying to buy a new car as we expand the family, and it is impossible to get a straight answer from them. Have had so many comments like 'this is our best offer, there is no profit left on this for us' and then (after a counter offer from a competitor) they somehow manage to find another few thousand to drop off. Amazing.

Where was this? It wasn't John Hughes Volkswagon Victoria Park was it? Used car salesman are worse, they talk crap and most people listen funnily enough.

Cant stand car salesmen, although in this day and age most people would have put in the research into the type of car they want. All I'll be doing is going for test drives and make sure there is enough boot space to fit the bloody bugaboo
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:49 pm

DALBY wrote:

LOL John Hughes is the WORST. They've lost out getting over $60k of my money on 2 occasions because of their lazy arrogant salesmen.

The most recent time I basically walked in off the street to test drive the new Lancer... having already owned one and been happy with it... so hardly needed to be sold on the idea... and had the money on me to buy it in cash. Walked into Skipper Mitsubishi after work towards the end of their day and trying to get someone to help me was like trying to pluck teeth. They were all standing around chatting or pretending to be busy. Then finally I manage to get someone's attention.... asked him if I could test drive it and he could not have been less enthusiastic. Instead he tried to sell me an EVO... which was a little too cheap for my liking. When I asked him why it was cheap all he could come up was "We've got a sale on" yet when I took a closer look at the car it had more dents and scratches than a Steven Baker opponent.. missing badges etc. I asked him what that was all about and he says "Oh yeah... we can fix that for you". Get farked.

So pretty much had to demand a test drive of the new car... which they did. Got back to the dealership after the test drive... got out of the car and said "Thanks mate.. I've got the cash on me now... but I think I'll go to Southside Mitsubishi instead" to which he responded with "What the f#@??" :lol:

Then I go to Skipper Mitsubishi on that weekend.... again get a salesman about as enthusiastic as someone walking to the gallows... and whilst I am trying to haggle on the price he says to me "I hate my job... I'm going to quit.... so don't really care... yeah I'll do you a good deal on this". I thought yeah yeah... sure you are... but by that stage already made up my mind to buy it... so signed up to what was a fairly good deal.

Go back on the Monday with my old man to show him the car I'd bought.... and asked where this salesman was and got told that he had in fact quit that Saturday afternoon :lol: :lol:

I then proceeded to tell the Skipper Mitsubishi website that they missed out on $38,000 cash.. because their salesman was too lazy to help me. They wanted to know which Salesman but I pretty much left it at that... as they were all as bad as each other.

Not many people I reckon I would rather spend less quality time with a salesman.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm

I know the General Manager very well at John Hughes Volkswagon Vic Park.They sell only new cars. I agree car salespeople are the worst. I find this with every salesperson however, no matter what they are selling.
Last edited by DALBY on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:49 pm

I love buying cars, but then again I expect them to be pricks. Always remember you have the power to simply walk out.

My strategy. Consider the posted price their "ambit claim" its not worth the paper its written on. I always ask the dealer what his best price is which they almost never want to do. Usually they will counter with "make me an offer" which you should NEVER do. Just shuffle your feet, look at the missus and start making noises that you want to go away and think about it. If you can get the salesman to make an offer you can be pretty confident you are in the ballpark. Don't for the love of god accept. Even if its better than you had hoped - leave the yard. Get something to eat whatever on the premise that you are considering other options.

If you want the car come back but remain non committal. Start at the price he/she stated earlier, but ask if they will accept slightly less, then ask for all the fruit ie "theoretically if we went in at that price.. would you throw in roof racks, tow ball, bonnet protectors, free servicing through the warranty, floormats" you name it. You can generally squeeze most of that crap into the deal, but its NOT over even when you have accepted the deal.

The next ruse will be the salesman taking his "offer" to the dealer principal which of course he will refuse. This is the time to man up. They will come back with a counter offer that's close enough that you will be thinking its not worth "risking the deal". Say it was originally a $62 car you have haggled down to $55k with a few knick knacks thrown in. They might come back and say $57k and its a deal. They will pressure you "we are so close" what's $2k. Never forget $2K is a lot of money for you and its peanuts for them - let those pricks move. They will because the salesman has known exactly what he can offer all along.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:55 pm

WCE06 wrote:

I love buying cars, but then again I expect them to be pricks. Always remember you have the power to simply walk out.

My strategy. Consider the posted price their "ambit claim" its not worth the paper its written on. I always ask the dealer what his best price is which they almost never want to do. Usually they will counter with "make me an offer" which you should NEVER do. Just shuffle your feet, look at the missus and start making noises that you want to go away and think about it. If you can get the salesman to make an offer you can be pretty confident you are in the ballpark. Don't for the love of god accept. Even if its better than you had hoped - leave the yard. Get something to eat whatever on the premise that you are considering other options.

If you want the car come back but remain non committal. Start at the price he/she stated earlier, but ask if they will accept slightly less, then ask for all the fruit ie "theoretically if we went in at that price.. would you throw in roof racks, tow ball, bonnet protectors, free servicing through the warranty, floormats" you name it. You can generally squeeze most of that crap into the deal, but its NOT over even when you have accepted the deal.

The next ruse will be the salesman taking his "offer" to the dealer principal which of course he will refuse. This is the time to man up. They will come back with a counter offer that's close enough that you will be thinking its not worth "risking the deal". Say it was originally a $62 car you have haggled down to $55k with a few knick knacks thrown in. They might come back and say $57k and its a deal. They will pressure you "we are so close" what's $2k. Never forget $2K is a lot of money for you and its peanuts for them - let those pricks move. They will because the salesman has known exactly what he can offer all along.

Who pays $55k for a car? too much money.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (The Silk Solution) Rioli & Paddy (Irish) Brophy
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Eliot Mess on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:02 pm

hendo1963 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Anchovies

A pizza is not a pizza without them.

Me love them. But like vegemite, they need to be applied in the appropriate amount.
I love fish sauce too, which is made from anchovies. It dates back to Ancient Rome and even further.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems