Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 21 Subiaco Oval
Sat, 12 Aug 2017 • 17:40 WST
West Coast Carlton
15.10 (100) 12.11 (83)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 22 Sydney Showgrounds
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 • 14:35 WST
West Coast v Greater Western Sydney
Game Focus



RANT: one thing i hate.................

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Fat Side wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:WTF?
40kph is a speed-limit just like any other. It's no harder to comply with than any other.
And unlike many, it actually exists for a bloody good reason.

Kids need protecting, because they're kids.
If we stop doing that, then we might as well give up on society altogether.

It's like wearing PPE.
You don't wear a hardhat or steelcaps because you need them to do the job. You wear them for the 1 in a million chance that some idiot drops something on you.


Why try to minimise the damage though when you can eliminate it by just removing access to that road all by applying a lock to a gate (or just simply not unlocking the gate) Traffic could continue on at a normal speed for a 4 lane major road and kids wouldn't be going near the traffic.


Lock the gate? How do the kids get out of school? or do we keep them imprisoned?


As I have said in prior posts that there is a much better access point and much more utilised point around the other side of the school.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:11 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:WTF?
40kph is a speed-limit just like any other. It's no harder to comply with than any other.
And unlike many, it actually exists for a bloody good reason.

Kids need protecting, because they're kids.
If we stop doing that, then we might as well give up on society altogether.

It's like wearing PPE.
You don't wear a hardhat or steelcaps because you need them to do the job. You wear them for the 1 in a million chance that some idiot drops something on you.

Kids need protecting? Yes, from many, many things. But part of school life is to be taught that if you step in front of a moving car it hurts.


Have you been hitting the sauce Joe?

I would hope (and even pray) that no more families have to "be taught" the consequences of a car hitting a child.

Honestly, I am at a real loss to comprehend the attitudes on display here.
I'd like to think we're all the kind of decent blokes that would have a real hard time living with the consequences if we struck and killed a child.
User avatar
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Doing The Eagle Rock

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:WTF?
40kph is a speed-limit just like any other. It's no harder to comply with than any other.
And unlike many, it actually exists for a bloody good reason.

Kids need protecting, because they're kids.
If we stop doing that, then we might as well give up on society altogether.

It's like wearing PPE.
You don't wear a hardhat or steelcaps because you need them to do the job. You wear them for the 1 in a million chance that some idiot drops something on you.

Kids need protecting? Yes, from many, many things. But part of school life is to be taught that if you step in front of a moving car it hurts.


Have you been hitting the sauce Joe?

I would hope (and even pray) that no more families have to "be taught" the consequences of a car hitting a child.

Honestly, I am at a real loss to comprehend the attitudes on display here.
I'd like to think we're all the kind of decent blokes that would have a real hard time living with the consequences if we struck and killed a child.


He's clearly not advocating for kids to get hit and hurt by moving cars. But they need to be made aware that they need to steer clear of the roads because the cars are going to hurt them more than they will the car.

Why put the focus on slowing down cars when there is (like in my circumstance) a way to prevent the incident ever arising (removing an access point on a major road when there is a much more serviceable access point else where)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Streaker on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm

farmer joe wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:complain about all the people who speed in schoolzones.

Schoolzones are high on my kist of pet hates. The ultimate in nanny state rules.
Why cant we teach kids that it is THEIR responsibility to watch out for cars. If you walk in front of a car, you will get hit and that may cause serious injury....the way to stop said injury is not to walk in front of cars.



Like everything there is a learning cycle or concept that children must learn to survive in life. One of these cycles or concepts is a thing called Spatial Awareness.
Spatial awareness is usually defined to include a person, so that for a child to have spatial awareness, that child will understand his/her location and the location of objects in relation to his/her body. In understanding these relationships, children come to learn concepts such as direction, distance and location. This concept isn't fully developed in children until the age of 12 or Grade 6. So basically the average child doesn't have the spatial awareness to judge the distance between themselves and a car travelling at any speed. The 40kmh zone is designed to ensure that if a child misjudges the distance then they are at less risk of severe injury than at 70kmh. So whose responsibility is it again? You don't teach a kid to ride a bike on a freeway.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:19 am

This is so silly. Any time you've got a lot of people + a lot of cars that are parking & exiting a limited space it makes complete sense for the speed limit to be reduced. It's not even just about kids, it's also about protecting adults and protecting property.
"Why shouldn't I be able to do 60km/h through the His Majesty's Car Park in the city? It's a long way up to the vacant spaces on level 9 and my time is precious!"
Seriously ... some perspective, people. Car drivers are not more important than other people.

School zones are small and the most minor of inconveniences. If you're freaking out that much about them, then leave 21 seconds earlier and you'll arrive when you expect to.

If we're talking driving peeves, mine are
1. People who leave 2 car lengths in front of themselves when pulling up at a red light. Thanks guys, me and 3 other cars could have made it into that turning lane if it wasn't for some of you, but thanks to your unnecessary spacing we can't get to it.
2. Slow drivers in the right lane, especially on the freeway. I wish we could enforce minimum speed limits in such situations and fine offenders for being inconsiderate douches.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby farmer joe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:04 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:He's clearly not advocating for kids to get hit and hurt by moving cars. But they need to be made aware that they need to steer clear of the roads because the cars are going to hurt them more than they will the car.

Why put the focus on slowing down cars when there is (like in my circumstance) a way to prevent the incident ever arising (removing an access point on a major road when there is a much more serviceable access point else where)

Thanks mate. I couldn't of said it better.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Fat Side on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:This is so silly. Any time you've got a lot of people + a lot of cars that are parking & exiting a limited space it makes complete sense for the speed limit to be reduced. It's not even just about kids, it's also about protecting adults and protecting property.
"Why shouldn't I be able to do 60km/h through the His Majesty's Car Park in the city? It's a long way up to the vacant spaces on level 9 and my time is precious!"
Seriously ... some perspective, people. Car drivers are not more important than other people.

School zones are small and the most minor of inconveniences. If you're freaking out that much about them, then leave 21 seconds earlier and you'll arrive when you expect to.

If we're talking driving peeves, mine are
1. People who leave 2 car lengths in front of themselves when pulling up at a red light. Thanks guys, me and 3 other cars could have made it into that turning lane if it wasn't for some of you, but thanks to your unnecessary spacing we can't get to it.
2. Slow drivers in the right lane, especially on the freeway. I wish we could enforce minimum speed limits in such situations and fine offenders for being inconsiderate douches.


We do have minimum speed limits on the Freeway. No less than 80kmh. I thoroughly agree with your comments about those hogging the right hand lane on the freeway. They claim that a person wanting to pass them would be committing an offence. It doesn't occur to them that they're committing an offence by blocking the RHL.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby FXD on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 pm

farmer joe wrote:Kids need protecting? Yes, from many, many things. But part of school life is to be taught that if you step in front of a moving car it hurts.
My issue with the nanny state that is WA. Why are police not policing the law that says you have to have a complying bike helmet on when riding a bike? Every offence ignored or over looking by police is one step closer to making corruption acceptable. If you are not going to police the law, change the bloody law.


Kids already know not to step in front of a moving car. Now for the odd times they fuck that up and get hit, is it better for all involved if the car is doing 40kmph or 60kmph? It's still going to hurt either way.
Image
http://wceguernseys.tk
User avatar
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:42 pm
Location: The Pagoda

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby FXD on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Why put the focus on slowing down cars when there is (like in my circumstance) a way to prevent the incident ever arising (removing an access point on a major road when there is a much more serviceable access point else where)


I don't understand your argument at all. You are talking about one specific road and we are talking about school zones in general. You can never remove the incident from arising when the incident is kids walking along the road near a school. Kids will always be on roads near schools.
Image
http://wceguernseys.tk
User avatar
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:42 pm
Location: The Pagoda

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby west coast ego on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Wow. Just wow.

School zones AT A STRETCH are 1.km long. That costs you 90 seconds IF the normal limit is 80km/h.

Such a terrible inconvenience.
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
User avatar
west coast ego
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 am

west coast ego wrote:Wow. Just wow.

School zones AT A STRETCH are 1.km long. That costs you 90 seconds IF the normal limit is 80km/h.

Such a terrible inconvenience.


Thank you for acknowledging that.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby DALBY on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 am

Human beings in general, they are so selfish and greedy, Caucasians especially.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 am

anxiety/stress thats 100% work related.

finish last night at 7pm, cant get work out of my head, in bed at 11.30pm but still awake at 1.30am. must have fallen asleep some time after that but my 9 month old wakes up at 3am. i couldnt get back to sleep as i started thinking about work again so Fuck it, may as well come to work...so here i am.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Fat Side on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 am

I am on the board of a school and the issues of parking and vehicle use when dropping off and collecting children are a constant frustration. Despite the school being encircled by roads and more pickup/drop-off areas being constructed, parents continue to double park, park in no parking areas (parks, driveways, footpaths) and all of this compromises the safety of students.

The 40kmh zone is more to do with the heavy traffic congestion outside schools at peak times than child safety more specifically. Even if the 40kmh speed zone remained traffic would still be affected and slowed by congestion around the school especially during afternoon pickup.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm

farmer joe wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:He's clearly not advocating for kids to get hit and hurt by moving cars. But they need to be made aware that they need to steer clear of the roads because the cars are going to hurt them more than they will the car.

Why put the focus on slowing down cars when there is (like in my circumstance) a way to prevent the incident ever arising (removing an access point on a major road when there is a much more serviceable access point else where)

Thanks mate. I couldn't of said it better.

Said what?
That makes even less sense than what was said before.

Unless you close the road completely, (and don't laugh, it has happened) you can never remove the risk completely. The lower speed limit simply mitigates the risk. End of story.
User avatar
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Doing The Eagle Rock

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron