Next Game

Round 15 Docklands
Sat, 01 Jul 2017 • 11:45 WST
West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Game Focus

RANT: one thing i hate.................

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:41 am

Total Package wrote:Yup said this before and will say this again. It is no easier or harder to buy your first home now than it was almost 20 years ago when I bought my first home. The difference is Generation Now want everything and they want it now.. and they refuse to work for it or give up anything in their lives to make it happen.

A direct result of what happens when you bring kids believing they are entitled to everything and shelter them from disappointment and failure.

I take slight umbridge to this, went straight from high school, to uni, worked part time, then did vac work after 3rd year up north. then straight into grad work, worked in a very backward 3rd world country for a few months working 28 days straight, 12-14hr days for a measley 10 days off (which ended up only being 7 days as travel time came out of R&R). I didnt blow my money and within 4 years saved up a 20% deposit to purchase a home that was 0.5-0.6M.

Now i'm nearing 30 and massively burned out, the mon-fri (sometimes sat) becomes a grind. A part of me wished i took a year or two off and went travelling...now its too late.

I do feel sorry for the grads that get promised the world at uni, then struggle to find grad work because there is an oversupply of young grads.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:I do feel sorry for the grads that get promised the world at uni, then struggle to find grad work because there is an oversupply of young grads.

The problem isn't necessarily an oversupply of grads, per sae.
The problem is IMHO fourfold (although they all intertwine):

1) As a general rule (and thanks to history and ongoing pernicious influence of unions) Australia pays uneducated bozos more than experienced professionals.
2) Any drongo from a 3rd world shit-hole, who's dad can afford to buy them a degree, gets a free ride into Australia on a 457 visa and then never leaves. Its unbelievable but even NOW the list of approved professions is ludicrous.
3) Graduates tend to come at a steady rate, so many thousand each year. But the economy doesn't grow at a steady rate.
4) Tertiary education is the biggest rort in Australia, especially now with so much being delivered online. Its money for old jam, and the universities just can't grab enough. So they have no interest in managing the flow of graduates.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Total Package on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Total Package wrote:Yup said this before and will say this again. It is no easier or harder to buy your first home now than it was almost 20 years ago when I bought my first home. The difference is Generation Now want everything and they want it now.. and they refuse to work for it or give up anything in their lives to make it happen.

A direct result of what happens when you bring kids believing they are entitled to everything and shelter them from disappointment and failure.

I take slight umbridge to this, went straight from high school, to uni, worked part time, then did vac work after 3rd year up north. then straight into grad work, worked in a very backward 3rd world country for a few months working 28 days straight, 12-14hr days for a measley 10 days off (which ended up only being 7 days as travel time came out of R&R). I didnt blow my money and within 4 years saved up a 20% deposit to purchase a home that was 0.5-0.6M.

Now i'm nearing 30 and massively burned out, the mon-fri (sometimes sat) becomes a grind. A part of me wished i took a year or two off and went travelling...now its too late.

I do feel sorry for the grads that get promised the world at uni, then struggle to find grad work because there is an oversupply of young grads.

So you regret buying the house and would preferred to have travelled?

You effectively did what most people have to do to get ahead in life I guess and what I did. I started my full time employment the Monday after finishing school on the Friday and had no break whatsoever. I went through the same thing around my late 20s where I kind of wish I had travelled in my late teens and ended up wanting a career change... I'm 45 now and my first trip overseas was on my 40th birthday and can't say I regret it at all now. Every time I go overseas its a new experience and I think in a way I appreciate it more now than I would have before. Also I can afford to have decent trips which I probably wouldn't have had done if I had gone straight from school. Staying at backpackers is not really for me.

The only downside is my partner did all her travelling when she was 19/20 so alot of the places I want to go she has been to before and isn't so keen... but then again she is also financially stable now.. and appreciates being 36 and enjoying travelling a bit more than she did in her younger years. I guess it depends on the kind of person you are... I'm not a huge party animal or drinker... so the whole contiki backpacking thing never appealed.

As for the uni grads... you are not wrong. What the hell do Uni's tell them these days about the real world out there. I see so many of them especially in computer science where I am... that come in thinking they know it all and are upset if they aren't promoted within 6 months of stepping foot into the place. Keep having to remind them that I spent my first 12 months opening up and sorting mail and typing up letters for people before anyone would let me near a computer... had to prove myself first.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:51 am

Total Package wrote:I take slight umbridge to this, went straight from high school, to uni, worked part time, then did vac work after 3rd year up north.

You effectively did what most people have to do to get ahead in life I guess and what I did. I started my full time employment the Monday after finishing school on the Friday and had no break whatsoever. I went through the same thing around my late 20s where I kind of wish I had travelled in my late teens and ended up wanting a career change... I'm 45 now and my first trip overseas was on my 40th birthday and can't say I regret it at all now. Every time I go overseas its a new experience and I think in a way I appreciate it more now than I would have before. Also I can afford to have decent trips which I probably wouldn't have had done if I had gone straight from school. Staying at backpackers is not really for me.

The only downside is my partner did all her travelling when she was 19/20 so alot of the places I want to go she has been to before and isn't so keen... but then again she is also financially stable now.. and appreciates being 36 and enjoying travelling a bit more than she did in her younger years. I guess it depends on the kind of person you are... I'm not a huge party animal or drinker... so the whole contiki backpacking thing never appealed.

As for the uni grads... you are not wrong. What the hell do Uni's tell them these days about the real world out there. I see so many of them especially in computer science where I am... that come in thinking they know it all and are upset if they aren't promoted within 6 months of stepping foot into the place. Keep having to remind them that I spent my first 12 months opening up and sorting mail and typing up letters for people before anyone would let me near a computer... had to prove myself first.

Not really regret, more i would have done things slightly differently if i had my time over. My first ever holiday was 3 years ago for our honeymoon, then a second smaller one a year later for our anniversary. Planning another small holiday next year for our 4 year anniversary.

Regarding the travelling thing, my wife was similar to yours, did her travelling in her early 20's saw most of europe, UK, Asia...but staying in sub standard accomodation.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 am

Total Package wrote:As for the uni grads... you are not wrong. What the hell do Uni's tell them these days about the real world out there. I see so many of them especially in computer science where I am... that come in thinking they know it all and are upset if they aren't promoted within 6 months of stepping foot into the place. Keep having to remind them that I spent my first 12 months opening up and sorting mail and typing up letters for people before anyone would let me near a computer... had to prove myself first.

Man...they do my friggin head. We have one at the moment. Overloaded last year on her CA studies, failed, asked for extra study leave to prepare for her sup exams, used her full allotment of sick leave, her full allotment plus more of her holiday leave and now has got the sh.ts on that we wont grant her leave without pay (we will let her go onto negative on her holiday allotment by over a week) for a Hawaii surfing safari with her mates. My thoughts are that if you dont want a job, quit.
I had to do the hard yards to get to where I have got and you cant get there without doing the yards. Kids dont get it.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Total Package wrote:I take slight umbridge to this, went straight from high school, to uni, worked part time, then did vac work after 3rd year up north.

Not really regret, more i would have done things slightly differently if i had my time over. My first ever holiday was 3 years ago for our honeymoon, then a second smaller one a year later for our anniversary. Planning another small holiday next year for our 4 year anniversary.

Regarding the travelling thing, my wife was similar to yours, did her travelling in her early 20's saw most of europe, UK, Asia...but staying in sub standard accomodation.

Mate, you're only 30. If you want to travel, plan it and make it happen. Rent your house out for 6 or 12 months.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

farmer joe wrote:
Total Package wrote:As for the uni grads... you are not wrong. What the hell do Uni's tell them these days about the real world out there. I see so many of them especially in computer science where I am... that come in thinking they know it all and are upset if they aren't promoted within 6 months of stepping foot into the place. Keep having to remind them that I spent my first 12 months opening up and sorting mail and typing up letters for people before anyone would let me near a computer... had to prove myself first.

Man...they do my friggin head. We have one at the moment. Overloaded last year on her CA studies, failed, asked for extra study leave to prepare for her sup exams, used her full allotment of sick leave, her full allotment plus more of her holiday leave and now has got the sh.ts on that we wont grant her leave without pay (we will let her go onto negative on her holiday allotment by over a week) for a Hawaii surfing safari with her mates. My thoughts are that if you dont want a job, quit.
I had to do the hard yards to get to where I have got and you cant get there without doing the yards. Kids dont get it.

At least with Australian universities there is a reasonable chance that your grad can read and write, has at least average intelligence, and some basic grounding in their field of study.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Total Package on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 pm

farmer joe wrote:

Yeah I had a couple of developers that were young and were similar... no work ethic and regularly off on sick leave. I've been in a managerial/team lead role for about 12 years now and I've really noticed the difference in the people I interview and the young people I get in now based on 12 years ago.

Also being computer science you get a lot of very smart people but with that can come arrogance and egos as well. The come out of Uni with their degrees.. think they should be working on all the new cutting edge stuff instead of starting out fixing other people's code... and then want to move on from a place after 3 months because their career is "not progressing". :roll: Little do they know that the first thing I do when I get a new resume in.... is to check if they are only hopping around and staying at jobs for less than 12 months.... I throw those resumes straight into the bin without even looking at their qualifications and work.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Not really regret, more i would have done things slightly differently if i had my time over. My first ever holiday was 3 years ago for our honeymoon, then a second smaller one a year later for our anniversary. Planning another small holiday next year for our 4 year anniversary.

Mate, you're only 30. If you want to travel, plan it and make it happen. Rent your house out for 6 or 12 months.

too late now, got an 8 month old keeping me up at night :lol:
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Drivers who know they have to turn off at a specific exit, but wait until the last minute to change lanes.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:At least with Australian universities there is a reasonable chance that your grad can read and write, has at least average intelligence, and some basic grounding in their field of study.

That line is straight out of the Julia Gillard book of thoughts? Australian degree's have been sold down the loo in the chase for dollars from overseas students who are only here to obtain permanent residency.The population ponzi must continue at all costs...
My eldest is finishing his degree this semester.....read? write? average intelligence? grounding in his field of study?? I can honestly say there is no hope for the kids that fail as they must be truly hopeless.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby wce1293 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Not really regret, more i would have done things slightly differently if i had my time over. My first ever holiday was 3 years ago for our honeymoon, then a second smaller one a year later for our anniversary. Planning another small holiday next year for our 4 year anniversary.

too late now, got an 8 month old keeping me up at night :lol:

You CAN travel with kids you know. Don't let it stop you if it's what you really want to do.
Having said that, we didn't really travel much until our kids were older but that was because we couldn't afford it (private schools - our choice). Now they're grown up we can do the big luxurious trips. My only regret is that I had more energy when I was younger, now I see a big hill and wish I could get a taxi. I just walked the Cinque Terre trail in Italy and HATED every second of it but I did it because my husband really wanted to do it and now I'm glad I did. Being older (and having netball knees) does stop you doing things you wouldn't have hesitated to do in your younger days.
wce1293
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Rupert F***ing Murdoch.

2 years ago the international AFL subscription was £69. For this you got all matches live and on catch-up (basically the TV broadcast from 7 or Fox) without ads, when you wanted it.
Last year the same service was £79.
This year they have handed it to Fox. We get the same live and catch-up service but now we get ads, lots of ads, right up to game start. I live overseas. I don't need to see continuous ads for Bunnings and Woolworths.
And...
for the privilege of now getting ads I now have to pay £125, an additional 60%. F*** you Murdoch you greedy c***.

Edit - and it's 0900 over here so this is a sober rant. It would be worse if it wasn't.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:At least with Australian universities there is a reasonable chance that your grad can read and write, has at least average intelligence, and some basic grounding in their field of study.

That line is straight out of the Julia Gillard book of thoughts? Australian degree's have been sold down the loo in the chase for dollars from overseas students who are only here to obtain permanent residency.The population ponzi must continue at all costs...
My eldest is finishing his degree this semester.....read? write? average intelligence? grounding in his field of study?? I can honestly say there is no hope for the kids that fail as they must be truly hopeless.

Wait till you have worked overseas. 4 year bachelors in Accounting, 2 year Masters in Taxation, and their equivalent of a CPA.
Has trouble understanding their own written language, almost no comprehension of technical terms even when translated, doesn't know what an Accounts Payable account is for, can't do a basic accrual journal, knows literally nothing about their own tax system, and has never heard of IFRS.
Worse is when those of the same calibre are sent to audit you.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 pm

So, our department was selected for the Corporate Box at Subi...

Muppets vs scum

Decided to have my scrotum waxed instead.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems