Next Game

Round 23 Subiaco Oval
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 • 0:00 WST
West Coast v Adelaide
Game Focus

RANT: one thing i hate.................

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:15 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:At least with Australian universities there is a reasonable chance that your grad can read and write, has at least average intelligence, and some basic grounding in their field of study.

That line is straight out of the Julia Gillard book of thoughts? Australian degree's have been sold down the loo in the chase for dollars from overseas students who are only here to obtain permanent residency.The population ponzi must continue at all costs...
My eldest is finishing his degree this semester.....read? write? average intelligence? grounding in his field of study?? I can honestly say there is no hope for the kids that fail as they must be truly hopeless.

Wait till you have worked overseas. 4 year bachelors in Accounting, 2 year Masters in Taxation, and their equivalent of a CPA.
Has trouble understanding their own written language, almost no comprehension of technical terms even when translated, doesn't know what an Accounts Payable account is for, can't do a basic accrual journal, knows literally nothing about their own tax system, and has never heard of IFRS.
Worse is when those of the same calibre are sent to audit you.

The uni system is a farce, I loathed group assignments, when i was paired with an international student who were barely around to collaborate with. They end up doing zero and they students who actually pay for their degree rather than their parents do all the hard work. It doesnt matter, if they fail the same unit a number of times, they just hand over a wad of $$$ to pass.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 am

Drivers on the Graham Farmer Freeway. Plod along in the right hand lane, all the way through the tunnel, then the last 500m want to do the old 3 lane cut over to head into west perth or the kwinana freeway.

Similar story heading home, plod along in the right or middle lanes then the last 500m hit the breaks and do a 3 lane cut over to get onto Great Eastern Hwy.

Soccer mums in their prados or sahara landcruisers that look like they haven't even been driven on an unsealed road let alone gone proper 4WD'ing, complain about all the people who speed in schoolzones. Newsflash, most often than not they are the ones who zoom through said schoolzones, after a boozy lunch with the girls.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:complain about all the people who speed in schoolzones.

Schoolzones are high on my kist of pet hates. The ultimate in nanny state rules.
Why cant we teach kids that it is THEIR responsibility to watch out for cars. If you walk in front of a car, you will get hit and that may cause serious injury....the way to stop said injury is not to walk in front of cars.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 pm

farmer joe wrote:

Schoolzones are high on my kist of pet hates. The ultimate in nanny state rules.
Why cant we teach kids that it is THEIR responsibility to watch out for cars. If you walk in front of a car, you will get hit and that may cause serious injury....the way to stop said injury is not to walk in front of cars.

The speed zone is to slow down the parents dropping off and collecting their kids. Most kids that are struck by cars outside a school are struck by a parent. The speed zone is based on traffic density. Around a school at pick up and drop off time, it is highly congested.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Fat Side wrote:
farmer joe wrote:

The speed zone is to slow down the parents dropping off and collecting their kids. Most kids that are struck by cars outside a school are struck by a parent. The speed zone is based on traffic density. Around a school at pick up and drop off time, it is highly congested.
What happened to busses, walking etc.
I went to Govo in Midland and at the peak we had over 1600 students (and this was in the days when the current playing fields were the Midland Rubbish Tip). My year was the biggest and in Year 9 I was in 9-13 of 15 year 9 classes of about 32-33 pupils. Of the 470 odd in my year only two that I can think of got dropped off. One was a polio leg-brace wearer and the others mother worked in the school library. Everyone else caught a bus, train, walked or cycled.
Probably 1100-1200 of the 1600 in the school bussed, 200-300 trained, 150 odd cycled, a few walked and I reckon less than 20 total got dropped off. What has happened that everyone has to get driven to school nowadays?
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm

farmer joe wrote:

I live near one of the "biggest school zone hot spots". Meadow Springs. Always comes up as top 10 in the state for speeding fines in school zones. Its not because there are a lot of hoons around (well ok there is) but they have 2 schools that are in the industrial area that also back on to the main road. You're talking about a road that goes from 70, to 60 then down to 40 in a matter of about 1km of road, because these schools back on to the road. They both have access points away from this road, but still this road (gordon road to be specific) has to be 40. If they really gave a shit about kids being hit by cars they would remove all access points to the road (it is already fenced and gated so wouldn't be hard to just permanently lock the gates). But no, they have to go and majorly inconvenience everyone else (and raise a god damn lot of revenue in the process)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:You're talking about a road that goes from 70, to 60 then down to 40 in a matter of about 1km of road, because these schools back on to the road.

Not really an excuse. There's a sign.

I drive past Churchlands Primary most mornings, where the road just goes from 70 straight to 40, and no one seems to have a problem with it.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 pm

Mr Q wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:You're talking about a road that goes from 70, to 60 then down to 40 in a matter of about 1km of road, because these schools back on to the road.

I drive past Churchlands Primary most mornings, where the road just goes from 70 straight to 40, and no one seems to have a problem with it.

Not really saying its an excuse. Saying it is ridiculous that a road that would normally be 60 or 70 drops down to 40 because there is a school that realistically there should be no kids wandering around from seeing as it is fenced and gated. Surely preventing kids being near the road should be the priority, not minimising the damage and in this case it is very easy to prevent by straight out shutting the gates.

And before arguing about it being the access point, there is a more than adequate access point behind the school plus that road links up to another that has a set of lights to get back onto the main road which would be a much more friendlier to get back onto the main road than the access point on the main road.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm

WTF?
40kph is a speed-limit just like any other. It's no harder to comply with than any other.
And unlike many, it actually exists for a bloody good reason.

Kids need protecting, because they're kids.
If we stop doing that, then we might as well give up on society altogether.

It's like wearing PPE.
You don't wear a hardhat or steelcaps because you need them to do the job. You wear them for the 1 in a million chance that some idiot drops something on you.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Mr Q wrote:

You Dolphin-Murderer!

I'd have thought you would cycle, on your 100% recycled, organic, gender-neutral, sustainable, treadly?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:WTF?
40kph is a speed-limit just like any other. It's no harder to comply with than any other.

It's like wearing PPE.
You don't wear a hardhat or steelcaps because you need them to do the job. You wear them for the 1 in a million chance that some idiot drops something on you.

Why try to minimise the damage though when you can eliminate it by just removing access to that road all by applying a lock to a gate (or just simply not unlocking the gate) Traffic could continue on at a normal speed for a 4 lane major road and kids wouldn't be going near the traffic.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Wild Eagle on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:02 am

MrWoollie wrote:Rupert F***ing Murdoch.

2 years ago the international AFL subscription was £69. For this you got all matches live and on catch-up (basically the TV broadcast from 7 or Fox) without ads, when you wanted it.
Last year the same service was £79.
This year they have handed it to Fox. We get the same live and catch-up service but now we get ads, lots of ads, right up to game start. I live overseas. I don't need to see continuous ads for Bunnings and Woolworths.
And...
for the privilege of now getting ads I now have to pay £125, an additional 60%. F*** you Murdoch you greedy c***.

Edit - and it's 0900 over here so this is a sober rant. It would be worse if it wasn't.

And isn't it just shit now?
A couple of years ago I could use it to download games to my device to watch later but now it is streaming only. I am overseas ATM and have to use expensive data or patchy wifi to try and watch. I'm stuck on a freakin' train for 4 hours with wifi that blocks streaming video and still haven't been able to watch the last game.
Thanks for SFA AFL.
FREE JACK WATTS !
Wild Eagle
Regular

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

It's like wearing PPE.

Why try to minimise the damage though when you can eliminate it by just removing access to that road all by applying a lock to a gate (or just simply not unlocking the gate) Traffic could continue on at a normal speed for a 4 lane major road and kids wouldn't be going near the traffic.

WTF has a gate got to do with it?

Schoolzones are only in force at the times kids are arriving and leaving, and are there to LOWER the risk.

Fortunately, I have noticed a trend towards not putting schools on major roads. (Our local Primary schools are hidden down rabbit warrens.)
But it doesn't help when fuckwit local councils decide to resume land and create a defacto highway through suburbia.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

It's like wearing PPE.

Lock the gate? How do the kids get out of school? or do we keep them imprisoned?
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 pm

It's like wearing PPE.

Kids need protecting? Yes, from many, many things. But part of school life is to be taught that if you step in front of a moving car it hurts.
My issue with the nanny state that is WA. Why are police not policing the law that says you have to have a complying bike helmet on when riding a bike? Every offence ignored or over looking by police is one step closer to making corruption acceptable. If you are not going to police the law, change the bloody law.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems