Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

The Cricket Thread

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

The Cricket Thread

Postby stadiumking on Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:23 pm

Seems we are turning into a Western Australian Lord of the Flies. Why don't you put your collective talents towards discussing the upcoming test series against SA and WI.
I am rapt as an expat WAussie that Hussey is in the squad...pity its at the expense of JL. I believe Hussey should have been in the test team for Hayden before he saved his neck with some selfish playing at the Oval.
It was a travesty that Martyn was dropped...he was our best batsman last year. You wouldn't believe the amount of whinging by the Vics that Hodge isn't in the team.
The main unknown with the Windies is their bowling lineup. Raw pace and unpredictability will be the main factor...we know their batting lineup is very solid. I'm looking forward to going to the Boxing Day Test this year...and seeing the G for cricket.
***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Well I'm glad Bracken is coming in to the team. I don't think there has been enough NSW fast bowlers. All we will need is Dominic Thornley and Phil Jacques in the team and we will be unstoppable.

Lets face it, the only thing holding Hussey back for the past 5 years is he didn't move to NSW.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby TOA on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:24 pm

Really felt for Huss failing today. He is a top bloke and works really hard. I hope he makes the most of his 2nd innings. He deserves it.
Shannon Hurn player president
TOA
EFH Legend

Postby patsmith on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:02 pm

TOA wrote:Really felt for Huss failing today. He is a top bloke and works really hard. I hope he makes the most of his 2nd innings. He deserves it.

Quite an uncharacteristic shot too. I'll be ecstatic if he can get it all together in the second.
Best Clubman 2004: Josh Wooden
Most hardly done by 2005: Josh Wooden
Survivor 2006: Josh Wooden
Sponsored player 2005, 2006: Josh Wooden
patsmith
Veteran

Postby Rens on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 pm

patsmith wrote:
TOA wrote:Really felt for Huss failing today. He is a top bloke and works really hard. I hope he makes the most of his 2nd innings. He deserves it.

Quite an uncharacteristic shot too. I'll be ecstatic if he can get it all together in the second.

was prob just getting frustated not making runs and tried to break the shackles, ahwell huss will make a ton in the 2nd dig :D GO THE HUSS
Rens
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Quinzate1 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 pm

Go Ponting! 149. Very impressive.
Quinzate1
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Embley_32 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:01 am

Rens wrote:
patsmith wrote:

was prob just getting frustated not making runs and tried to break the shackles, ahwell huss will make a ton in the 2nd dig :D GO THE HUSS

yeah agree, was a strange shot to be playing in your debut game on Day 1 of a Test when you were on 1. However yeah i guess it got to him being dried up a bit. I didnt see the start so i dont know exactly how he wasnt able to score and which avenues of his were blocked, but usually in times like that your partner becomes very important with rotating the strike. If you can get a few quick singles with your partner backing up at the other end quick it eases the pressure heaps.
However he has the 2nd dig to bite back.

Hope he does real well as he and Jaques appear to currently be the two most likely to take over from Hayden and Langer at the top as actual 'true'openers.

Ponting great stuff and so so unlucky to not get the well deserved 150
Embley_32
Veteran

Postby infiltrator on Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:47 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Well I'm glad Bracken is coming in to the team. I don't think there has been enough NSW fast bowlers. All we will need is Dominic Thornley and Phil Jacques in the team and we will be unstoppable.

Lets face it, the only thing holding Hussey back for the past 5 years is he didn't move to NSW.

yes, being from NSW has definitely given a few blokes the inside-running over the years, tho I don't mind seeing Bracken come in - at least he offers something different in the bowling attack (just by virtue of being a left-armer and angling the ball a different way)
infiltrator
Veteran

Postby Quinzate1 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Australia 2/283 in the second innings with a lead of 508 runs at stumps on Day 3.

Ponting 104* after his 149 in the first innings.
Quinzate1
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Rens on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:15 pm

Quinzate1 wrote:Australia 2/283 in the second innings with a lead of 508 runs at stumps on Day 3.

well that was interesting, why did they take the bad light? only 7 overs left would have thought they would have just batted a bit get a bigger lead and declare first thing tommorow. Do the west indies expect chris gayle to make a good score? i hope not after making him bowl 28 overs and not using main bowlers....
Rens
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Sico 17 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Rens wrote:
Quinzate1 wrote:Australia 2/283 in the second innings with a lead of 508 runs at stumps on Day 3.

well that was interesting, why did they take the bad light? only 7 overs left would have thought they would have just batted a bit get a bigger lead and declare first thing tommorow. Do the west indies expect chris gayle to make a good score? i hope not after making him bowl 28 overs and not using main bowlers....

Michael Clarke wouldn't want to take any risks. If he fails again he might be spending some time back in the Pura Cup.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Royals on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:57 pm

both Clarke and Katich
got cheep runs against South Australia
2 best pace men out

surely martyn is ready for recall ............katich especially hasnt done anything to suggest he should be picked without TEST form
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Rens on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:49 pm

great effort from bracken and lee 2day, was good signs today, we managed to win comprehensively without either warne or mcgrath getting a wicket, good signs for the future, and now its time to BRING BACK MARTO
Rens
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby chicky_fanatic on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:18 pm

yeah good to see binger rip through 'em, it's been a while. if he can keep up his bowling, together with his handy knocks with the bat of late, i'd have to say he could turn into a pretty handy all rounder.
chicky_fanatic
Veteran

Postby stadiumking on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:48 pm

Rens wrote:

Australian batsmen didn't actually take a bad light option. The Windies brought their pacemen back into the attack and the umpires immediately called it off.......Australia didn't have a say.

Best things from this test match:
Ponting
Australia won by so much without Warne or McGrath taking a single wicket in the second innings
Warne's bowling
Lee getting his second 5 wicket haul in test cricket...the first being in his first match. Good to see him get good figures, conceding only 30 runs this time. Showed real maturity as a bowler that we really haven't ever seen from him before
Bracken's bowling

Worst things from this test match:
Brian Lara's sad decline...he has past his peak well and truly. Let's hope he can confound the critics and bring up a huge score in one of the last 4 innings like he has done so many times before when under pressure
The way in which the Windies capitulated. At least they have a young squad that shows promise
Australia getting too comfortable with winning easily.....we can't stop much-needed reforms with the test team now

Funniest thing from this test match:
Shiv Chaderpaul's batting stance!
Shiv Chaderpaul's cheek strips!
***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems