Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Is WW3 Around The Corner?

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Is WW3 Around The Corner?

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 am

With tensions always high in the middle east, The US deployment of dozens of missiles against syria could be the catalyst for WW3. Add to this the tensions with NK, China & Russia.

I dont know a hell of alot about international politics, but the 'Total Package' in me believes this will be a manufactured war to stimulate the world economy and drive up the price of oil.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Is WW3 Around The Corner?

Postby Fat Side on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:With tensions always high in the middle east, The US deployment of dozens of missiles against syria could be the catalyst for WW3. Add to this the tensions with NK, China & Russia.

I dont know a hell of alot about international politics, but the 'Total Package' in me believes this will be a manufactured war to stimulate the world economy and drive up the price of oil.

I mentioned this on this site several months ago. That the world was beginning to look like 1930s Europe. With China setting up bases on atolls, Russia annexing Crimea and fighting in the Ukraine, the complex Syrian conflict where it doesn't seem anyone can win, North Korea provocation, Brexit, the election of Trump and the continuing far right nationalist political flavour throughout Europe. The build up of forces in the Baltic States by the Russians and Americans is another. In my mind this all adds up to a major war.

When I mentioned it, I was shot down unceremoniously (pardon the pun).
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am

WW3 has been running for some time, destroying the economic power of the developed nations by slashing their industrial power. Last week it shut the Hazelwood power station.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Fat Side wrote: the complex Syrian conflict where it doesn't seem anyone can win,

Complex is a polite word for 'no-win shite'. It really is a mess.
Who do you support?
Choice 1 - Stick with Al-Assad. The Saddam of Syria. Comes from a minority branch of islam (Alawhite). Just like Saddam is scared of losing power to the majority side because of the guaranteed revenge and sect persecution. Just like Saddam keeps (kept) power with a huge secret police force, torture and the use of chemical weapons. Russia's go to guy. Mates with Putin. Shit choice.
Choice 2 - The rebels. Initially looked like a more moderate bunch that wanted to overthrow a tyrant. Looked ok. Was taken over by hard line islamic elements including the muslim brotherhood and a bunch of regional fundamentalists who hate each other but hate the regime more. Initially supported by the west but has rapidly lost its appeal due to its increasing resemblance to a hard-line Taliban approach. No longer even pretends to be moderate. Shit choice.
Choice 3 - ISIS/ISIL. Only exists to make the fundamentalist rebels look like reasonable moderates. Shitter choice.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Bigbird on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I think I read some months back that for us to have a true WW3 (i.e. global conflict) something needs to kick off in the Asia/Pacific region. Obviously there are increasing tensions there with China/Taiwan and you would assume there has to be a breaking point where something gives.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:03 am

Bigbird wrote:I think I read some months back that for us to have a true WW3 (i.e. global conflict) something needs to kick off in the Asia/Pacific region. Obviously there are increasing tensions there with China/Taiwan and you would assume there has to be a breaking point where something gives.

Well there's a delusional maniac in North Korea that might be of some concern... Especially when another (suspected) delusional maniac is about to park a dirty great big carrier just outside his front door.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Bigbird on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm

jourgo wrote:
Bigbird wrote:I think I read some months back that for us to have a true WW3 (i.e. global conflict) something needs to kick off in the Asia/Pacific region. Obviously there are increasing tensions there with China/Taiwan and you would assume there has to be a breaking point where something gives.

Well there's a delusional maniac in North Korea that might be of some concern... Especially when another (suspected) delusional maniac is about to park a dirty great big carrier just outside his front door.

The question is - and arguably the same question exists for the situation with the Chinese atolls - how far are both sides willing to push? It's also hard to distinguish between rhetoric and reality when it comes to North Korea.

I think we know from history that North Korea are quite prepared to do what it takes when they perceive an immediate territorial threat....I think the biggest concern and most likely trigger would be that the North Koreans make a move against US interests in the region. They have short range nuclear capability I believe (correct me if wrong) but a massive question mark over their ability to target the US mainland. Yes - a response to the US moving a fleet into the area is pretty likely, it's just a question of whether that is a direct response or another 'test'.

China is probably the key to the entire global situation. Let's assume a full blown conflict kicks off involving the US and NK. Where does China sit...and importantly...what action do the Russians take? If we assume a worst case scenario - where Russia becomes engaged in the conflict and backs up NK, China has the potential to choose sides and come out of the conflict in an extremely powerful position. Perhaps parallels there to the US involvement in WWII.

Then throw in India (allies with both Russia and the US) and Pakistan (best mates with China) - the whole situation gets messy very, very quickly. Especially when you consider all of these nations have a nuclear stockpile that could....well, I don't even want to imagine.

If it all goes really pear shaped, I'll be off to Cape Arid national park with the kids and will quite happily live of fish and kangaroo for as long as it takes :-p
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Perhaps there's a school of thought that you pre-empt a strike on North Korea now, before it develops its missile launch capability?

Take their toys from them.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm

WCE06 wrote:Perhaps there's a school of thought...

Stop right there. "Thought" and "Trump Administration" have no relationship to each other.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

That's helpful there Q.
I got a fever.
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm

jourgo wrote:That's helpful there Q.

Hey, I'm not the idiot with the nuclear arsenal and no impulse control.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 pm

No but you're above this populist Trump bashing crap.
I got a fever.
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 am

jourgo wrote:No but you're above this populist Trump bashing crap.

There has never been anyone less fit to lead a supposed advanced nation than Donald Trump (who's got the role, anyway).

As for "populist", that's Trump's very mantra. Policies like the wall, expelling all undocumented migrants, the Muslim ban, forcing jobs back into the US via tarrifs and taxes etc - they're all precisely the policies of a populist. And for the most part, totally impractical (the wall won't stop anyone, expelling undocumented migrants would kill the US economy, the Muslim ban is unconsitutional and all that his trade policies will do will be to bring manufacturing back to the US where it will be automated anyway - which is why most US jobs disappeared, not offshoring).

This is a man who holds top secret security briefings on the terrace at his own hotel, where other guests without clearances have access. He has no understanding or respect for the role, and no ability to do the job.

And yes, he has no impulse control.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 am

I like him :)
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 am

WCE06 wrote:I like him :)

Bluntly: in this role, he's a fucking imbecile.

This is the guy who actually asked, why, if the US has nukes, it doesn't use them.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems