Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 10 Subiaco Oval
Sun, 28 May 2017 • 14:40 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
14.6 (90) 14.14 (98)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 11 Carrara
Sat, 03 Jun 2017 • 11:45 WST
West Coast v Gold Coast
Game Focus


EFH News

Round 9 Preview: Essendon Hate Week 2017
Matt Quinn • 20 May 2017
Round 8 Preview: West Coast v The Dogs
Matt Quinn • 11 May 2017
Round 7 Preview: Port Adelaide v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 05 May 2017
Round 6 Preview: West Coast v Fremantle
Matt Quinn • 27 Apr 2017
Round 5 Preview: Hawthorn v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 22 Apr 2017
Round 4 Preview: West Coast v Sydney
Matt Quinn • 12 Apr 2017
Round 3 Preview: Richmond v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 07 Apr 2017
Round 1 Preview: North Melbourne v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 25 Mar 2017
Player preview 2017
Matt Quinn • 21 Mar 2017
Oh well, that's that folks.
Matt Quinn • 08 Sep 2016


WA State Election 2017

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Who will you be voting for?

Liberal
6
27%
Labour
6
27%
Green
2
9%
One Nation
6
27%
Nationals
1
5%
Shooters, Fishers, Idiots
1
5%
Other
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 22

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:Respectfully Ric, that's bullshit. What we're looking at here is the biggest swing against a sitting government in WA history. That doesn't come from one issue, but an electorate pissed off beyond belief. There was one seat with a 23% swing. Several more over 18%. That's a bloodbath. WA Inc didn't get that level of response. The Coalition were as rejected as any government has ever been.

You can dismiss things as "a few leftys", but you can be assured that the Liberal Party both locally and nationally won't be. Locally there will be blood on the floor in Liberal HQ. Federally they will be in a massive panic that this result is the canary in the coal mine.


The Coalition in the new parliament will likely be about on par with with Labour after the last election, around 19~20 seats.


The Libs will be lucky to get 15 seats

Yes they would, which is why I said "Coalition."

Although I must confess to some puzzlement over their addition. They say the Coalition will win 19 seats, but the Nationals 5 and Libs only 13. So not sure who the other coalition partner is?
User avatar
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Doing The Eagle Rock

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Ric wrote:Pity you couldn't apply the same test to your beloved Rudd and Gillard, who decimated the Aust economy to such an extent


The decimation wasn't done by Rudd or Gillard, rather by John Howard.

Oh, come on Q. Even you with your Corbynista politics cannot possibly believe that as a stand-alone statement.
I am the first to admit that John Howard did not use his surplus in any way the way he should have. Middle class welfare and tax cuts should have instead gone to infrastructure, debt repayment and money under the bed for a rainy day. And as for the f***ing baby bonus. A waste of money in every respect. Poor politics and poor economics.
BUT...
no matter how bad an economic job he did, he was not a patch on the wasteful mismanagement of Rudd. Rudd's ideas consisted purely of spend, give away, spend and give away. Everything that he did was both a waste of money and totally mismanaged. Insulation debacle was just one of many. Money for school buildings another. GFC handouts that his own economists told him wouldn't work, and after the first lot told him again that it hadn't worked and never would. That the money was either saved, spent on extra mortgage payments or wasted. Even Access Economics estimated the retained benefit to the Australian economy was a very low % of the money spent, and in fact was less that the interest payments accrued by the government on the handouts. So what was his response? Ignore everything everyone told him and do it again on a bigger, more grand scale. And then do it again. Talk about the ultimate application of the definition of stupidity (keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result).
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby farmer joe on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Here's a question. What's the Liberal Party stand for now??
Their inability to argue the case for penalty rates cuts for small business, when EBA's mean penalty rates don't apply to large business, means I have lost faith in them. They have sold their soul completely to the corps. Happy to be told I am wrong...
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Streaker on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

farmer joe wrote:Here's a question. What's the Liberal Party stand for now??
Their inability to argue the case for penalty rates cuts for small business, when EBA's mean penalty rates don't apply to large business, means I have lost faith in them. They have sold their soul completely to the corps. Happy to be told I am wrong...


This made me wonder why?

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... a802388b13
Barnett tells PM to 'pick lower' GST floor

Colin Barnett suggested on Tuesday he would agree to a 65 cent "floor" if that was the figure proposed by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull


Why would you give the option to the Feds to choose how low your GST should be?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Ric on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Ric wrote:Pity you couldn't apply the same test to your beloved Rudd and Gillard, who decimated the Aust economy to such an extent


The decimation wasn't done by Rudd or Gillard, rather by John Howard. He squandered billions on middle class welfare during his time in office, resulting in a massive additional structural overhead for an incoming government - one they could do nothing about, as they had to counter the GFC as well as the side effects of that middle class welfare - namely that the average Australian had become dependent on it. Oh, and a lot less in the kitty to use to avoid the effects of the GFC - the much vaunted "surplus" that the Howard government left wasn't even 10% of what they could and should have left behind. But no, we had to have more and more bogan bribes to keep them in office (to put it in perspective, the Howard government was going to make private school fees tax deductable if they won in 2007....).

Whether or not Barnett could have avoided the deficit disaster that he led WA into I don't know. Quite possibly not. However, the Liberal Party have for decades made a point of how they don't run massive deficits, how they alone can balance the books and that debt and deficit is an ALP thing (surely you haven't forgotten the 2013 Federal election yet). The Barnett Government abysmally failed to do that. I'd also point out that he was a minister in the WA Liberal Government that accepted the GST configuration of the Howard Government, so there is no way that the ALP can be blamed for WA's measly GST share - it was all the WA Libs and the Federal Libs.

Anyway, the Barnett government is dead, buried, exhumed and cremated again, then the ashes dumped down the toilet. The swing in that election shows that the public thought they were hopeless.


The surplus wasn't even 10% of what it should have been hey? There was never that kind of money floating around even before tax cuts to have been a $200 billion surplus. You are plucking figures out of your bum and become number one lefty deflecting the blame of Labors incompetence. And even if there had been a substancial surplus, do you honestly believe Rudd wouldn't have squandered it? When has Labor ever left a surplus?
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
User avatar
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Mr Q on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Ric wrote:The surplus wasn't even 10% of what it should have been hey? There was never that kind of money floating around even before tax cuts to have been a $200 billion surplus. You are plucking figures out of your bum and become number one lefty deflecting the blame of Labors incompetence. And even if there had been a substancial surplus, do you honestly believe Rudd wouldn't have squandered it? When has Labor ever left a surplus?


How about this then?

That's from News Ltd as well, so hardly a lefty institute. And written in the leadup to the 2013 election, where News Ltd were virtually barracking for the Libs on a daily basis.

Also unlike Rudd, who was attempting to keep the economy afloat during a global economic crisis, Howard was pouring fuel on to the fire of a massive boom period.

Howard was the most profligate, irresponsible economic wrecker in Australian history. Even Peter Costello, his own Treasurer thought he was going way too far.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 314

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Ric on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:32 am

Mr Q wrote:
Ric wrote:The surplus wasn't even 10% of what it should have been hey? There was never that kind of money floating around even before tax cuts to have been a $200 billion surplus. You are plucking figures out of your bum and become number one lefty deflecting the blame of Labors incompetence. And even if there had been a substancial surplus, do you honestly believe Rudd wouldn't have squandered it? When has Labor ever left a surplus?


How about this then?

That's from News Ltd as well, so hardly a lefty institute. And written in the leadup to the 2013 election, where News Ltd were virtually barracking for the Libs on a daily basis.

Also unlike Rudd, who was attempting to keep the economy afloat during a global economic crisis, Howard was pouring fuel on to the fire of a massive boom period.

Howard was the most profligate, irresponsible economic wrecker in Australian history. Even Peter Costello, his own Treasurer thought he was going way too far.


Well Q, if the figures are correct, please accept my appology
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
User avatar
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby WCE06 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am

Libs own fault. At the end of the day WA led the country bouncing Labor from office while Gillard and Rudd were laying waste to our economy. But with the Libs in their second term and multiple WA Libs in senior positions (including the deputy PM) they've achieved precisely zero rectifying the GST disaster at the heart of our economic woes. There's no excuse. Mark my words Barnett was a far better premier that this dick we've got now, but Turnbull/Bishop and co made his tenure untenable in the eyes of many.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
User avatar
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Mr Q on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 am

Ric wrote:Well Q, if the figures are correct, please accept my appology


No problems. Congratulations on that reply in a politics thread! Rare that anyone ever accepts anything!
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 314

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 am

It is time for political parties to start responding to the electorate instead of more of the same old, same old. I include all sides of politics.

During the past 10 years Australian voters have significantly changed how they vote. 10% (and more) swings are common, whereas they were almost unheard of previously. The Newman elections in Qld are an example. The political parties continue to govern in the same way and either fail or refuse to respond to this. Governments continue to speculate why the electorate dumped them without canvassing the electorate. It is this arrogance that incenses the electorate. They fail to effectively communicate with voters (before and after elections) and a gaping disconnect is widening.

Parties need to be examining this and devising strategies to survive beyond one term.

While Turnbull blames Mediscare for their appalling performance and Barnett simply dismisses voters by blaming the landslide loss on 'it's time' they are learning nothing. Gillard/Rudd blamed the mining/carbon tax scare campaigns. PHON is blaming a scare campaign for the bloodbath they suffered over the weekend. While scare campaigns do occur, there is nothing new about them or the way they're responded to.

Until Political parties start listening and find ways to narrow the disconnect, this electoral volatility will continue and parties can expect one term to be the norm.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby farmer joe on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 am

Fat Side wrote:Until Political parties start listening and find ways to narrow the disconnect, this electoral volatility will continue and parties can expect one term to be the norm.

They govern for those that put them there. That wont change anytime soon. To many of the elites on both sides rely on the Popualtion Ponzi, which isnt supported by the electorate, for their future for change to occur.
The interesting bit about the WA election is the "bogans" moved and moved big time. They are the easiest group to spin. Ensure they think they will have money in their pockets and they will vote for you. Any talk of political process, medium term goals or plans and "economic" theory and they switch off.
The ALP has a huge job ahead. Good luck to them. We all need them to succeed.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby jourgo on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 am

Fat Side wrote:Until Political parties start listening and find ways to narrow the disconnect, this electoral volatility will continue and parties can expect one term to be the norm.


Don't know about that. One-term governments in Australia - anywhere in Australia - are rare. In my lifetime (42 years) there have been 4:

SA - David Tonkin 1979-82
Vic - Baillieu/Napthine 2010-14
Tas - Michael Field 1989-92
QLD - Campbell Newman 2012-15

Note: this is government, not party leader/PM/Premier

At a federal level there hasn't been a one-term government since the 30s. Bottom line is you've got to be fucking up royal to only survive one term. Even Gillard & Turnbull - on the nose though they were - managed to get their parties re-elected to second terms.

Re this election: I've voted Liberal all my life - and did this time around too. That said I'm not anything like broken up about Barnett losing this election. He'd lost touch, lost energy, lost focus, and wasn't going to last the full term had he been re-elected. My vote was predicated on the belief that Lisa Harvey would take over some time in the next couple of years.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
User avatar
jourgo
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: Sunshine Studios

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Total Package on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

Fat Side wrote:It is time for political parties to start responding to the electorate instead of more of the same old, same old. I include all sides of politics.

During the past 10 years Australian voters have significantly changed how they vote. 10% (and more) swings are common, whereas they were almost unheard of previously. The Newman elections in Qld are an example. The political parties continue to govern in the same way and either fail or refuse to respond to this. Governments continue to speculate why the electorate dumped them without canvassing the electorate. It is this arrogance that incenses the electorate. They fail to effectively communicate with voters (before and after elections) and a gaping disconnect is widening.

Parties need to be examining this and devising strategies to survive beyond one term.

While Turnbull blames Mediscare for their appalling performance and Barnett simply dismisses voters by blaming the landslide loss on 'it's time' they are learning nothing. Gillard/Rudd blamed the mining/carbon tax scare campaigns. PHON is blaming a scare campaign for the bloodbath they suffered over the weekend. While scare campaigns do occur, there is nothing new about them or the way they're responded to.

Until Political parties start listening and find ways to narrow the disconnect, this electoral volatility will continue and parties can expect one term to be the norm.


It's been 30 years now since a Government has been able to survive more than 2 terms.... I think that's pretty much just the way it's going to be from now on. Gone are the days of rusted on supporters treating Political parties like football teams they barrack for. Even my dad who has been Labor since he was in the womb voted Liberal at the 2013 election.
User avatar
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 am

Are the state elections every 3 years or 4?

i swear i heard every 4 years, however i recall voting for the state elections in 2014 as i was going on holiday in march.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:10 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Are the state elections every 3 years or 4?

i swear i heard every 4 years, however i recall voting for the state elections in 2014 as i was going on holiday in march.


State is every four. Cannot call early elections, the full four must be taken.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron