5%
Shooters, Fishers, Idiots
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby farmer joe on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 am

Mr Q wrote:Fuck me I hope the more recent polls are right and PHON's vote is receding back where it belongs.

Don't go too early. Are you saying PHON will not have a representative in the new parliament?
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am

jourgo wrote:I am seriously considering TP's 'drawing a big cock on the ballot paper' voting method for this election. Dead set what a bunch of uninspiring, forgettable hacks this lot of candidates are.

I weep for our state.

You do that, you have no right to complain about the quality of our governance thereafter though...
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm

jourgo wrote:I am seriously considering TP's 'drawing a big cock on the ballot paper' voting method for this election. Dead set what a bunch of uninspiring, forgettable hacks this lot of candidates are.

I weep for our state.

A vote for a big cock is a vote for Colin
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Fat Side wrote:

I weep for our state.

A vote for a big cock is a vote for Colin

Fortunately, drawing a picture of Colin on the ballot paper doesn't constitute a vote for the Liberal candidate in the electorate. Even in Cottesloe.

That said, I'd personally think that Mike Nahan is closer to being the big cock. And his electorate is apparently in play despite it's 12% margin (what is it about Liberals in the electorate of Riverton and their ability to be knobs? Nahan is just following on from Graham Kierath).
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 pm

One day to go.

It seems the polling is suggesting that electors in much of the Perth Metro area are waiting at the polling booth with baseball bats for the Coalition, which giant swings in some parts of the city predicted - mostly around Joondalup, the eastern suburbs and the south-east of the city (though not discounting areas like Mt Lawley). The Libs seem to have given up - apparently their internal polling is looking at losing 13-20 seats, which would put the ALP in power.

My reading of the above polling is that the Libs are virtually conceding Belmont, Forrestfield, Swan Hills, Balcatta, Morley, Perth, and Mt Lawley (as well as the notionally Liberal but ALP held West Swan and Collie-Preston) and are thinking they've probably lost Joondalup, Southern River, Bicton and Kalamunda. With Wanneroo, Burns Beach, Riverton, Darling Range, Bunbury, Kingsley and Jandakot all very scary for them.

My prediction: ALP 33, Libs 19, Nats 7 and no others in the lower house. My range for ALP seats would be 29-37 depending on where and when the swing falls, with 29 making the Libs negotiations with the Nats very interesting given they gave the Nats the finger with the One Nation preference deal - could be the ALP-Nats coalition mooted in 2008 comes back as a possibility.

The Upper House will likely be a complete shambles, no matter what happens.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 am

You've got a better feel for this sort of thing that I do - what would be the feeling amongst rusted-on Labor people if they suddenly jump in bed with the Nationals? Would cause some degree of consternation I'd think.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:48 pm

jourgo wrote:You've got a better feel for this sort of thing that I do - what would be the feeling amongst rusted-on Labor people if they suddenly jump in bed with the Nationals? Would cause some degree of consternation I'd think.

I'd actually expect more consternation among rusted on Nats voters than Labor ones.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Mr Q wrote:One day to go.

It seems the polling is suggesting that electors in much of the Perth Metro area are waiting at the polling booth with baseball bats for the Coalition, which giant swings in some parts of the city predicted - mostly around Joondalup, the eastern suburbs and the south-east of the city (though not discounting areas like Mt Lawley). The Libs seem to have given up - apparently their internal polling is looking at losing 13-20 seats, which would put the ALP in power.

I'd agree with that assessment if not necessarily the strength of the antipathy behind it.

Coalition has done a "reasonable" job, but they've had their 8 years. Some people are never happy and just vote for a change.

They've done some good things, but tend to get noticed for wasting money on crap like "Elizabeth Quay." Nobody is really interested in shit like tat, there's no votes in it.
If we were all enjoying our new stadium (at a reasonable cost) that might have been a feather in his cap, but he stuffed that up.

After 8 years the incumbent has the problem of only offering "more of the same" whereas at least Magoo is promising new stuff.
I've got no idea how he plans to achieve it, but promising to keep jobs for locals wins him a lot of support.
Grills threat to bring in his own Mining Tax won't have helped. That's just a vote-loser all-round for a conservative government.
The only people who like the idea are the pot-heads on the looney left, and they're never going to vote for the coalition.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Well looks like McMuffin's in. I doubt hed be able to achieve anything in his term as premier.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Ric on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Well looks like McMuffin's in. I doubt hed be able to achieve anything in his term as premier.

they are saying the first stage of his metrolink will be completed by the end of his second term :lol: not too flash for a party that boasts rail as their forte. With all the promises he's made, he obviously doesn't give a shit about the deficit. Barney spent a lot of money, but at least he got a lot of projects done (as EM has alluded to), unlike Carpenter who had truck loads of money coming in and only built a rail line to Mandurah and still left a debt.

Having said that, I split my vote as I didn't want Western Power sold. Pity about Roe 8 tho'
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Ric wrote: Pity about Roe 8 tho'

Yep roe hwy to stock road would have been ideal, hate exiting onto beeliar or russel road to get to henderson.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Ric on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Ric wrote: Pity about Roe 8 tho'

Yep roe hwy to stock road would have been ideal, hate exiting onto beeliar or russel road to get to henderson.

Agree 100%, exit Nth Lake rd and Stock rd...the way it was meant to be
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm

It's a shame One Nation didn't get a seat. What are the media going to do for the next 4 years?

If only Hanson had endorsed an obese Lebanese dodgy builder with failed breast-implants, he could have single-handedly kept the entire press-corp busy for years.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Coalition has done a "reasonable" job, but they've had their 8 years. Some people are never happy and just vote for a change.

You don't get a result like that if they'd done a reasonable job. That swing is almost unprecedented. They lost 16% on their *primary* vote and it didn't go to One Nation. That's baseball bats and then going back and getting the cricket bats as well.

I *way* underestimated the anger out there. And I'm a lefty.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Ric on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:It's a shame One Nation didn't get a seat. What are the media going to do for the next 4 years?

If only Hanson had endorsed an obese Lebanese dodgy builder with failed breast-implants, he could have single-handedly kept the entire press-corp busy for years.

she'll go back to Qld and work for Labor in their state elections
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems