Shooters, Fishers, Idiots
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Are the state elections every 3 years or 4?

i swear i heard every 4 years, however i recall voting for the state elections in 2014 as i was going on holiday in march.

State is every four. Cannot call early elections, the full four must be taken.

Yep, i just looked at the AEC website, last election was march 9th 2013. Although the dates between elections vary from 3 to 5 years.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/Australian_Electoral_History/Federal_State_and_Territory_elections_dates_1946_Present.htm
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

i swear i heard every 4 years, however i recall voting for the state elections in 2014 as i was going on holiday in march.

Yep, i just looked at the AEC website, last election was march 9th 2013. Although the dates between elections vary from 3 to 5 years.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/Australian_Electoral_History/Federal_State_and_Territory_elections_dates_1946_Present.htm

Now i remember, we had to re-vote for the senate (missing votes).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/wa-senate-2014/

Western Australian Senate re-election
Western Australian voters go to the polls on Saturday April 5 to elect six Senators to represent the state. The election is being held after the Court of Disputed Returns overturned last September's election result.

The contest for the final two Western Australian seats had been so close last September that a re-count was ordered to make sure the result was accurate. It was the first time a Senate re-count had been held since 1980 and the first to be conducted under the current Electoral Act.

The first count had elected Labor's Louise Pratt and Palmer United's Zhenya Wang to the final two seats. The re-count saw them defeated and the final two seats won by the Greens' Scott Ludlam and the Australian Sports Party's Wayne Dropulich.

But between the original count and the re-count, 1,370 ballot papers went missing. The Court of Disputed returns ruled that the missing ballot papers made it impossible to determine who won the final two seats and voided the writ declaring six Senators elected. A new writ has been issued for the re-election.

It is only the second time in Australian history that a Senate re-election has had to be held, but the first that has involved the re-run of a half-Senate election. The last Senate re-election was in South Australia in 1908, also caused by missing ballot papers, but was held to fill only a single vacancy.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Fat Side wrote:State is every four. Cannot call early elections, the full four must be taken.

I'm fairly sure there will still be provisions for the calling of an early election in the event the Government can no longer function (ie loses the confidence of Parliament) and the issue can't be resolved by the Parliament.

A possible example could be we have:
- Govt: 29 seats
- Opp: 28 seats
- Cross-bench: 2 seats (one supporting the Govt, one not)

If the cross-bencher withrew their support, but the Opposition couldn't get their support either, then the Parliament would be forced to be dissolved and an early election called. Or we could just have anarchy.

How I believe this would happen:
- Crossbencher withdraws support (Confidence motion called in lower house, and fails).
- Premier notifies the Governor that they no longer have the support of Parliament.
- Opposition Leader is asked if they can form government.
- Opposition Leader says no, they can't either.
- Governor is forced to dissolve Parliament.
- Writs are issued for an extraordinary election, and government goes into caretaker mode.

I am not sure what the eventual result of that would be for our current fixed terms. I suspect the resulting government would run a short term to the second Sat in March prior to four years from their election day.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

The WA electoral system is a little strange and possibly unique for a lower house.
Fixed terms run for 4 years, March to March but we can still have an early election. That's how Uncle Col got 8 and a HALF years.
Carpenter asked the Governor to call the election roughly 6 months early. Obviously not dissuaded by history, he went to the Govenor the day after Col became leader of the opposition.
Which just goes to show how often government changes hands not because we're impressed with the new leader, but because we're sick of the old.

So based on that precedent, I would imagine if the Governor was forced to call an early election because the parliament was unstable, the subsequent government would serve an extended term.

There has often been an issue with the Senate, when the terms did not coincide exactly, but elections were held together for the sake of expedience. The incoming senators don't take their seats until their term officially begins. I cannot specifically recall if that was an issue with the WA lower house.

Keep in mind that the Governor is highly unlikely to call an election off his own bat, and that an election is not required to change government.
In the event that we had a hung parliament (say resulting from a by-election) and the balance of power was held by the "Legalise Weed" party who were perpetually stoned, or some other scenario that rendered parliament inoperable.
(Probably the most likely scenario in the future would be if Labor had 29, and the other 30 were held by a combination of Libs, recalcitrant Nats, one-nation, and the shooter & dickheads party.)
One of the following would happen:
If the polls favoured the government, the Premier would simply call an early election.
If the polls favoured the opposition, the Premier would either resign, or be sacked, and the leader of the opposition would be invited to form government. If HE could not gain the confidence of Parliament, then he would call an early election.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:There has often been an issue with the Senate, when the terms did not coincide exactly, but elections were held together for the sake of expedience. The incoming senators don't take their seats until their term officially begins. I cannot specifically recall if that was an issue with the WA lower house.

The Legislative Council has specific terms. That's how, back a few years ago, the ALP were able to ram through one-vote one-value - they had the numbers in the lower house, but weren't going to in the upper house, so when a rogue Lib (who had lost his seat) in the LC elected to back the change, it was pushed through a lame duck LC session prior to the new MLCs taking their seats.

However I believe with the fixing of Parliamentary terms, MLCs terms are now hooked more closely to the term of Parliament, and lame duck sessions are all but impossible.

Crazy Dazz wrote:Keep in mind that the Governor is highly unlikely to call an election off his own bat, and that an election is not required to change government.
In the event that we had a hung parliament (say resulting from a by-election) and the balance of power was held by the "Legalise Weed" party who were perpetually stoned, or some other scenario that rendered parliament inoperable.
(Probably the most likely scenario in the future would be if Labor had 29, and the other 30 were held by a combination of Libs, recalcitrant Nats, one-nation, and the shooter & dickheads party.)
One of the following would happen:
If the polls favoured the government, the Premier would simply call an early election.
If the polls favoured the opposition, the Premier would either resign, or be sacked, and the leader of the opposition would be invited to form government. If HE could not gain the confidence of Parliament, then he would call an early election.

Just clarifying who can call early elections: Fixed terms now means that the Premier no longer has the authority to select the election date (early or otherwise). As such, in the case where the Government loses confidence of the Leg.Assembly, and no alternate government can be formed (i.e. a recalcitrant cross-bench), it's not the Premier or Opposition Leader who can call an early election, but it would be called on the Governor's authority in lieu of a functioning Parliament. Indeed, even before the fixing of Parliamentary terms, if no one was able to form government, then it would have been up to the Governor to call an election.

Yes, if the Opposition Leader can gain the confidence of the Parliament, then the Government will change without an election. This has always been the case - a case study (Federally) was the fall of the Menzies/Fadden UAP government during WWII, where the two Independents switched sides to the Curtin-led ALP, forcing a change of government. We're talking here about the case where no one can. Generally the Governor will do whatever they can to prevent an early election.

The one thing that makes this extremely unlikely to occur in WA is the fact the Legislative Assembly has an odd number of members, and so a gridlock would require an abstention (due to the Speaker's right to split a tie). This scenario was considered to be possible Federally at the last election given it was very close, and there seemed to be a chance that the House of Reps would line up 75-75 behind the two leaders. However, a more likely scenario is that the cross-bench will agree to confidence and supply (only) to one of the major parties as per the Gillard government - it's not in anyone's interest to have the chaos of a government that has no head.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

4 year terms with an election on the second Saturday in March
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Keep in mind that the Governor is highly unlikely to call an election off his own bat, and that an election is not required to change government.

The Governor is a female.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 am

Mr Q wrote:Just clarifying who can call early elections: Fixed terms now means that the Premier no longer has the authority to select the election date (early or otherwise).
Unless something has changed very recently, I don't think that is the case.
Technically, it is always the Governor who issues a writ for the election. So there would be nothing to stop a Premier asking, and by convention the Governor would usually agree.
We have had fixed 4 year terms for some time now, but Carpenter called an election 6 months early, which gifted Col a 4.5 year term.
Unless something was changed more recently?

There are of course circumstances when the Governor has (rightly) refused a request. I recall when Robin Gray lost power in Tasmania, he tried to continue with a minority government (the Greens had the balance of power). When he lost the confidence of the parliament, he wanted to call another election. The Governor refused and forced Gray to resign. (Which was weird because I would have assumed that is tenure as Premier ended with the election, but apparently is warrant was still valid.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 am

When all is said and done, I wonder how much of a negative impact the One Nation preference deal had on the Liberals?

Hanson and ON will always be a magnet for a bit of a protest vote, and there's nothing wrong with that. But to put it simply the negativity surrounding them makes them very divisive.
And to be honest, most people don't understand preferential voting, or what a "preference deal" actually means. I had a few people try to explain to me that One-Nation were now part of the Coalition, and voting Liberal would ensure ON got seats in the lower house.

If there had been no "deal", and the Libs had preferenced ON lower (but above Labor and the Greens) it would mostly have had the same eventual effect, but without losing votes to all the negativity.
There's also the wicked irony, that the deal probably cost One Nation votes. Fact is there are a few disaffected Labor-voting bogans who are attracted to Hanson's redneck policies.

There's also the issue that the deal seemed to mean a disproportionate amount of attention was focused on it and ON. The Libs really failed to get any kind of positive message out there.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 am

And surely the award for "Political Fuckwit" of the Century has to go to Grills.
He won a Labor stronghold for the Nationals on the tail of the backlash over Labor's mining-tax.
And so what does he propose?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 am

Francis gone. The weekend's bloodbath has ministers/speaker littering the battle ground.

The Libs will struggle to get 14 seats. Barnett has been diabolical running the economy into the ditch so he can have a few monuments to his reign. Selfish prick.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 am

Classy
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 am

So PHON has failed but has still polled as well as the greens. You have to love political reporting in Australia. Dance on her grave Q, but isn't gone yet.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andre ... c64ac74a1f
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:19 am

With Roe 8 canned I wonder if rent-a-protesters kick up a stink when they start dredging in the sound (ie to build an outer harbour)?
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 am

farmer joe wrote:So PHON has failed but has still polled as well as the greens. You have to love political reporting in Australia. Dance on her grave Q, but isn't gone yet.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andre ... c64ac74a1f

Yep the One Nation calamity has been greatly exaggerated.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems