Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Dan's the man

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Dan's the man

Postby Ric on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:20 pm

masTers wrote:An F1 weekend is actually much more than that, especially Singapore.

Mind you, whenever you have an international weekend away with 12-15 mates, regardless of the event, it's usually going to be an awesome time.

Exactly.

jourgo wrote:
Going back to the early 90s, Williams had been bedding down traction control, active suspension and semi-automatic gearboxes. By 1992 they had them pretty much perfected and the car was untouchable - seconds per lap quicker than any other. By 1994 they were so far advanced of every other team, that the FIA had to do something. They subsequently banned any electronic driver aids. So it has been done before.

I'm not sure if the FIA can do something similar with Mercedes. They don't have anything on the car that the others don't have, they just do it better.

Yep 100% correct and I find it rather silly that RedBull are threatening that they may leave the "sport" if the Merc's dominance isn't curtailed. Wasn't an issue when they were dominant for quite a few years and as you've said, all cars have the same technology available to them as the Mercs do, only the Mercs do it better. The red team seem to have gotten their heads around a few things and it wouldn't surprise me to see them a bit closer to the silver arrows before too long. Red Bull or rather Renault, needs to get on with it instead of whinging about things. Definitely surprised that Renault are struggling with the new rules as they were at the forefront with the turbos and other technologies of the last 20-30 years.
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 am

HH wrote:Yes, thrilled that he's our number 1 ticket holder.

On the track, Merc throughly deserve the success and domination they've been enjoying. What I can't understand is how the rest of the teams, and Renault in particular, failed to close the gap during the off season.

In an effort to cut costs F1 introduced a series of rules limiting development and engine changes over the season and even season to season. They allow so many changes and so many points with major changes costing more points.
Because Mercedes came up with the radical change that gave more power and less fuel use they effectively started out at point zero ahead of everyone else. The change limits effectively mean that no-one can catch up.
Credit to them but no-one will close up as Mercedes can make improvements at lower cost than the chasers can do trying to catch up.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:01 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
HH wrote:Yes, thrilled that he's our number 1 ticket holder.

On the track, Merc throughly deserve the success and domination they've been enjoying. What I can't understand is how the rest of the teams, and Renault in particular, failed to close the gap during the off season.

In an effort to cut costs F1 introduced a series of rules limiting development and engine changes over the season and even season to season. They allow so many changes and so many points with major changes costing more points.
Because Mercedes came up with the radical change that gave more power and less fuel use they effectively started out at point zero ahead of everyone else. The change limits effectively mean that no-one can catch up.
Credit to them but no-one will close up as Mercedes can make improvements at lower cost than the chasers can do trying to catch up.

Yup bingo. This system they have in place is a joke... where you can only use so many tickets during a year to make changes to the car.

If they were genuine about making it a level playing field then it should be weighted. Mercedes as the winner last year should get less "tickets" than everyone else... and those cars in the back of the field should get more so they can make more changes to their car to catch up.

The way it is structured at the moment a team can't catch up they can only keep up with Mercedes... and because Mercedes are so far ahead they are fine tuning rather than fixing.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby FXD on Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Mental.

https://instagram.com/p/3Q60EbDwIi

westcoasteagles wrote:No big deal. Just Daniel Ricciardo & big Ezy hanging out ...in Monaco. #goeagles

http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:32 pm

So for our week off, I'm going to Singapore for the Grand Prix.

At the time I booked this holiday, I never thought the Eagles would get this deep into September but it's worked out perfectly.

Go Dan and go Eagles!!!!!
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Sun May 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Could be a super Sunday of sport with the Eagles hopefully having a thumping percentage boosting win over the Suns and Dan taking his maiden pole to a Monaco Grand Prix victory.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 am

Of all the stupid-arsed things to happen.

I mean, last race the team took a gamble on strategy and balls it up completely. You say "it happens" and take it on the chin.

But to be called into the pits and the tyres aren't ready, that's just plain incompetent. I've been following formula 1 for a long time and that's the first time I've seen that happen.

I feel for you Daniel - you got hosed!
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby The Boat on Mon May 30, 2016 12:23 pm

12 hours on and I am still effin livid!! 2 weeks in a row. Come on, get your shit together.

Red Bull and Aussie drivers are a match made in hell. If Max VerCrashin wins Canada I will officially lose my shit.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon May 30, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm not a huge F1 fan (I barely follow any motorsport these days) but was talking to my dad prior to the race yesterday and he was talking up the chances and telling me how if you get pole in monaco you rarely lose because there are so few passing opportunities. I asked him, but what about the pit stops? They still have pit stops yeah? And he just sorta shrugged that off...

So it was a bungled pit stop hey? I have only seen a few pictures here and there of him coming 2nd...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby The Boat on Mon May 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Too angry to talk about it, ask your Dad.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Mon May 30, 2016 2:07 pm

Ricciardo had about a 12 second lead over Hamilton when Hamilton pitted for dry tyres (it was pissing down when the race started). Red Bull decided to call Ricciardo in and put him on slicks too, despite him recording good enough lap times on the intermediates. So he comes in as told, they pull his old tyres off ... and the tyres they're supposed to replace them with aren't there. So the car is sitting on the jacks for 13 seconds while the crew gets their shit together. Ricciardo rejoins the track just in time to see Hamilton scream past. And that was the end of any chance he had of winning.

I should add - not the pit crew's fault. The 'strategists' sent the call on which tyres to use down to the pits too late.

Just typing that and I'm pissed off again.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 pm

jourgo wrote:Ricciardo had about a 12 second lead over Hamilton when Hamilton pitted for dry tyres (it was pissing down when the race started). Red Bull decided to call Ricciardo in and put him on slicks too, despite him recording good enough lap times on the intermediates. So he comes in as told, they pull his old tyres off ... and the tyres they're supposed to replace them with aren't there. So the car is sitting on the jacks for 13 seconds while the crew gets their shit together. Ricciardo rejoins the track just in time to see Hamilton scream past. And that was the end of any chance he had of winning.

I should add - not the pit crew's fault. The 'strategists' sent the call on which tyres to use down to the pits too late.

Just typing that and I'm pissed off again.

Oh god, what a balls up! Perhaps they really do just hate Australians? And what better way to piss them off than constantly give them hope only to screw them over.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Mon May 30, 2016 6:33 pm

The strategy guy at Red Bull needs a serious reprimand. However, I don't think there's a conspiracy against Dan or Aussies in general at Red Bull. Webber certainly was number two to Vettel but not Dan.

Verstappen had already crashed out and they gave the first engine upgrade to Dan. They've publicly apologised. So no conspiracy here but a huge fark up plain and simple.

Gutted for Dan but he will have to rise above this disappointment (and Spain) and find something more. This engine upgrade seems to have made the Red Bulls competitive against the Mercs and better than the Ferraris. Plus longer term, as much as there is romance with the Ferrari name and despite his Italian heritage, I don't see Ferrari providing a competitive package. And who would want to move to Mercedes and be number two to that little smug w@nker Hamilton. It was fitting that the Biebs was trackside to see his mate collect the trophy. Those two deserve each other.

Red Bull will be desperate to please Dan after letting him down so badly twice.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:15 pm

I was watching the race live and could not believe what I was seeing when Dan was sat up on the blocks for an eternity while the crew faffed about finding the tires. Then to rub salt in the wound Hamilton cuts the chicane corner then squeezes Dan out when he had his nose lined up with Ham's back wheel. Just infuriating. Dan was rightfully furious on the podium.

Having said that - this is hilarious

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCEirazA91/
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems