Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Semi Final - GWS v WCE Sat 1925 AEST

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 am

Pinion King wrote:In: Wellingham
Out: Partington

Pitty but not surprising.

Yes pity but fair enough. Though I will miss Partington I think Wellingham will play his heart out.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:06 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:

Yes pity but fair enough. Though I will miss Partington I think Wellingham will play his heart out.

Hope so, he's playing for his career.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 am

Not surprising, however i still think MC are hoping Lecca can pull a rabbit out of a hat. Based on form he shouldn't be in the team.

Just hope Wellingham isn't played as a HFF, unless its a lock down role on Heath Shaw.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 am

Have we gone in too tall given they have replaced two talls with two smalls?

Could we drop Barrass and play Wellingham back while playing Partington or Masten (another defensive forward or running player? Free Yeo to move into the middle?

McGovern was critical to us last week so GWS will not be bombing it into their forward line where McG can pick them off. Do we need two tall intercept markers?
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:29 am

Fat Side wrote:Have we gone in too tall given they have replaced two talls with two smalls?

Could we drop Barrass and play Wellingham back while playing Partington or Masten (another defensive forward or running player? Free Yeo to move into the middle?

McGovern was critical to us last week so GWS will not be bombing it into their forward line where McG can pick them off. Do we need two tall intercept markers?

We've gone with a tall backline a few times, based solely on ensuring we pressure the ball carrier enough to get the dump kick forward. When we don't do that, we look slow and too tall in the backline. Yeo, Hurn and Shepp can all play shutdown roles on a small if needed, as can Mckenzie.

A really big out for GWS is Cameron. Last few times we've played them, Cameron has played a defensive forward role on the Gov - actually staring at him and chopping arms in contests... no free kick though. I hope they can't find a replacement to do that role effectively!

Having said that, I'm less confident about this week than previously - we really didn't deserve to win the Port game (had they been able to convert, we wouldn't be here) whereas GWS came up against Adelaide in Adelaide and came short. The stats said both teams in that Adel v GWS game had really high pressure numbers, so it's not like GWS were too far of. In fact, they were probably too focussed on the contested ball and were beaten on the outside. If they get that balance right this week, we are in serious trouble.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am

CouchPotato wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Have we gone in too tall given they have replaced two talls with two smalls?

We've gone with a tall backline a few times, based solely on ensuring we pressure the ball carrier enough to get the dump kick forward. When we don't do that, we look slow and too tall in the backline. Yeo, Hurn and Shepp can all play shutdown roles on a small if needed, as can Mckenzie.

A really big out for GWS is Cameron. Last few times we've played them, Cameron has played a defensive forward role on the Gov - actually staring at him and chopping arms in contests... no free kick though. I hope they can't find a replacement to do that role effectively!

Having said that, I'm less confident about this week than previously - we really didn't deserve to win the Port game (had they been able to convert, we wouldn't be here) whereas GWS came up against Adelaide in Adelaide and came short. The stats said both teams in that Adel v GWS game had really high pressure numbers, so it's not like GWS were too far of. In fact, they were probably too focussed on the contested ball and were beaten on the outside. If they get that balance right this week, we are in serious trouble.

No doubt we're the underdogs here, but we are in with some chance. I am hoping, not expecting to win. The loss of Cameron and especially Mumford is huge. They have brought an out of form veteran and a first year player to replace them. I am wondering about their depth. The midfield of Shiel, Coniglio, Kelly, Ward, Whitfield and Scully is daunting, but we can limit supply through a combination of midfield pressure, stoppers and getting on top in the ruck. Their defence is solid and Davis will pick up JK. Corr will get Darling and Darling needs to be better than last time he was up there. The main problem I see is the running half backs. Wislon and Williams are dangerous and Shaw is generally a clean user than can open up the play. We need to nullify them. No doubt that will be Wellingham's and Cripps' role.

I think our rucks can get on top and we can pressure their mids. Whether we can stop their half backs is the big question for me. We will need to hit the ground running. If we are not up by more than three goals at half time, I can't see us getting up. We need to play the full 100 minutes. Fingers crossed.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am

The bulldogs went in fingers crossed the entire finals series last year and it work out for them.

I wouldnt be devestated if we lost, im hoping for the win. I dont think anyone here expected us to even make finals 2 months ago.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:The bulldogs went in fingers crossed the entire finals series last year and it work out for them.

I wouldnt be devestated if we lost, im hoping for the win. I dont think anyone here expected us to even make finals 2 months ago.

Exactly mate, I'm just happy we finally won a final again. We succeeded on last years efforts even without NicNat. I'm very happy too.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

DALBY wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:The bulldogs went in fingers crossed the entire finals series last year and it work out for them.

Exactly mate, I'm just happy we finally won a final again. We succeeded on last years efforts even without NicNat. I'm very happy too.

I also hope we don't become overconfident next year on the back of this years finals series. i expect us to be fighting for a spot in the 8 in 2018.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:23 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
DALBY wrote:

I also hope we don't become overconfident next year on the back of this years finals series. i expect us to be fighting for a spot in the 8 in 2018.

Yep losing Priddis, Mitchell and Petrie Is a lot of leadership and experience. Struggle to make the 8 next year. :(
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bacardi Babe on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Crazier things have happened.... :D

We have had some more luck with Cameron and Mumford not playing. Here's our chance to dominate the ruck and perhaps to try and control the midfield. I'll be bitterly dissapointed if we don't win the hitouts this week and even perform much better in the midfield (stoppages etc). GWS will miss Cameron too, there'll be a hole in their forwardline. I hope Yeo and McGovern can find that hole all night and plug it. In saying that, GWS will try not to bomb it long to stop our defenders from getting turnovers obviously. We have to put as much pressure on their delivery into the forward line as we can and help the likes of Yeo, McGovern etc.

All in all, we are some kind of a crazy chance. We match up very well against them. It's always a close game against GWS and we would have to have some belief in ourselves after last week. I think we can do it... I really do.
Even heroes have the right to bleed
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:15 pm

DALBY wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

Hope so, he's playing for his career.

Absolutely. He's definitely worn off the patience of the Match Committee. Only very special players can go to a third club and have success (Morton comes to mind).
Even heroes have the right to bleed
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

There is a question mark over the fitness of Brett Deledio who did not participate in today's training session. Achilles issue.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Fat Side wrote:There is a question mark over the fitness of Brett Deledio who did not participate in today's training session. Achilles issue.

Id rather see him play....helps us more than GWS.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm

I really didnt know why everyone wrote of geelong. I knew theyd win their semi.

I just hope the swans peg a few goals back so they lose under 40pts so i have a chance of winning my multi.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles