9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Semi Final - GWS v WCE Sat 1925 AEST

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Semi Final - GWS v WCE Sat 1925 AEST

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:23 am

Some personnel changes were starting to be discussed in the previous match day thread.

For West Coast to win this game, we need our younsters in Sheed, Duggan & Partington to substantially lift.

I would want to make as little change to the team as possible but many questions will be asked this week. Will MC decide to gift Lecras another game in the hope he comes good.

Out: Lecras
In: Wellingham/Rioli

The inclusion of Nic Nat will be speculated all week, but its too much of a risk to play him in the ruck. Possibly he could be added as a forward, he'd have more of an impact as a defensive forward than Lecras.
Last edited by domo_the_eagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 1st Semi Final - GWS v WCE Sat 1925 AEST

Postby Mead on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

I think it is too much of a risk not to play Naitanui.

Yesterday was a euphoric, once in a lifetime result, but behind the excellent outcome, many of the same old weaknesses were there. We still completely ran out of legs, got heavily outscored from quarter time onwards, lost the hitouts, contested possessions and inside 50s, and scraped to a 2 pt win with 8 less scoring shots.

Two things went surprisingly right

- our older experienced players turned on the finals pressure and ambushed port's kids at the contests in the first quarter and got us a big edge on the scoreboard before they woke up.
- Jetta had an extraordinary burst in extra time, he virtually single handedly turned the game in those last 5 min by repeatedly sprinting in from halfback and winning it out of the centre.

But it's very hard to see how we are going to repeat that this week, all the old players will be coming off a gruelling extra time clash, GWS have recent finals experience and have had their primer on finals pressure from Adelaide, and having seen the havoc he wreaked in those last 5 minutes they will certainly assign a HF to block Jetta's run into the square.

As for the ruck situation, Petrie played an extremely smart'ruck-tag' game against Ryder, with great second efforts at ground level even if he was losing the knocks neutralising his influence at clearances, and hard running pushing forward hurting him the other way. It was a great game but it was still a catch-up game from a ruck perspective.

Vardy may have made a nice play to set up Kennedy in extra time, but he also had seven disposals in 4 +2 quarters and let's be realistic, for all the talk about neutralising Ryder, Paddy did have 54 freaking hitouts.

With old players travelling week after week, to be any more than a crazy chance against GWS, let alone the Richmond juggernaught, we need to fundamentally change the equation in the centre of the ground and get decisive hit outs to advantage.

All that says to me rather than let things head towards a fairly inevitable conclusion, bring in NN for Vardy right now. With a year out of football he might not do much more around the ground than Vardy, but his presence will give the whole team a lift, disrupt GWS' ruck, force them to go defensive at clearances, and if he can manage one epic quarter of hitouts to advantage he might just be the wild card which gets us over the line. Plus if we somehow get through with the win, he will probably be better for the run, and we will have a fresh Vardy waiting in the selection wings if needed the following week, which is probably not a bad thing given how hard old man Petrie is working at the moment.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Good call Mead spot on post for me

Lets give Nicnat a run roll the dice please
The will to win...we have lost it.......maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:49 pm

I feel for Lecca, his time is up. His body is just not capable of playing this game at an elite level. We have a short break and have to travel on the back of an extended game.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:01 pm

If we are going to roll the dice (and we might as well) then it would be worth thinking about NN for Vardy and Rioli for LeCras.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Mead wrote:I think it is too much of a risk not to play Naitanui.

Yesterday was a euphoric, once in a lifetime result, but behind the excellent outcome, many of the same old weaknesses were there. We still completely ran out of legs, got heavily outscored from quarter time onwards, lost the hitouts, contested possessions and inside 50s, and scraped to a 2 pt win with 8 less scoring shots.

Two things went surprisingly right

- our older experienced players turned on the finals pressure and ambushed port's kids at the contests in the first quarter and got us a big edge on the scoreboard before they woke up.
- Jetta had an extraordinary burst in extra time, he virtually single handedly turned the game in those last 5 min by repeatedly sprinting in from halfback and winning it out of the centre.

But it's very hard to see how we are going to repeat that this week, all the old players will be coming off a gruelling extra time clash, GWS have recent finals experience and have had their primer on finals pressure from Adelaide, and having seen the havoc he wreaked in those last 5 minutes they will certainly assign a HF to block Jetta's run into the square.

As for the ruck situation, Petrie played an extremely smart'ruck-tag' game against Ryder, with great second efforts at ground level even if he was losing the knocks neutralising his influence at clearances, and hard running pushing forward hurting him the other way. It was a great game but it was still a catch-up game from a ruck perspective.

Vardy may have made a nice play to set up Kennedy in extra time, but he also had seven disposals in 4 +2 quarters and let's be realistic, for all the talk about neutralising Ryder, Paddy did have 54 freaking hitouts.

With old players travelling week after week, to be any more than a crazy chance against GWS, let alone the Richmond juggernaught, we need to fundamentally change the equation in the centre of the ground and get decisive hit outs to advantage.

All that says to me rather than let things head towards a fairly inevitable conclusion, bring in NN for Vardy right now. With a year out of football he might not do much more around the ground than Vardy, but his presence will give the whole team a lift, disrupt GWS' ruck, force them to go defensive at clearances, and if he can manage one epic quarter of hitouts to advantage he might just be the wild card which gets us over the line. Plus if we somehow get through with the win, he will probably be better for the run, and we will have a fresh Vardy waiting in the selection wings if needed the following week, which is probably not a bad thing given how hard old man Petrie is working at the moment.

Officially 2017 has been a better year than 2016.

We will go in unchanged. LeCras, Duggan and Partington will play. Yeo had a quiet night by his standards, but he will be better this week. Mumford is out of form at the moment and that hands us an opportunity. Although Ryder got plenty of hitouts, not that many went to advantage. Vardy was jumpig at him and both Vardy and Petrie played in front of him around the ground. It will be a tough game, but lets have a crack and see what happens.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby merovingian on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Mead wrote:With old players travelling week after week, to be any more than a crazy chance against GWS, let alone the Richmond juggernaught, we need to fundamentally change the equation in the centre of the ground and get decisive hit outs to advantage.

I agree. And I don't really buy into the match fitness stuff. I'm just interested in whether his knee is good to go, and whether he can jump.

That said, and I concede this is quite defeatist, our club has never won more than two consecutive away finals. And we've only done that twice (1991 and 2006; in 1992 we won two, but we had a week off in between). 1994 onwards (when higher ranked teams hosted pretty much all finals except the GF), I think we're 5-16 in away finals. And I think 11-1-21 over our entire history. Even if Nic Nat tipped the balance this week against GWS, you have to be one heck of an optimist to think we can win four away finals in a row to take the premiership. So I think there's an argument we'd be risking him in a futile campaign.

Personally, I think this year is about laying foundations for next year. This finals campaign is a wonderful unexpected bonus.
merovingian
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Unless players don't come up I can't see any changes. The side seems well balanced and everyone is playing their role. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Shuey mentioned that Nic had been sore a few times. It's too big of an unknown to play him.

Remember we had that 5-day break earlier in the year. Got done by Richmond in the last quarter at the G then came back and beat Sydney. So I think our recovery should be fine.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 am

Pinion King wrote:Shuey mentioned that Nic had been sore a few times. It's too big of an unknown to play him.

I read that too. There people is your answer as to why Naitanui won't play again this season.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 am

No change, why disrupt the team that won the weekend?
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mead on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 am

DALBY wrote:No change, why disrupt the team that won the weekend?

Because we won by 2 points, by a kick after the siren, with 17 less inside 50s and 8 less scoring shots.

It was an incredible, against the odds win, but it was also a game which on paper we were outplayed and were very fortunate to get the result.

The point about incredible against the odds wins is they are incredible and against the odds - if the plan is simply to rinse, repeat and hope that lightning strikes twice, there's a very high probability GWS will trounce us.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am

Mead wrote:

Because we won by 2 points, by a kick after the siren, with 17 less inside 50s and 8 less scoring shots.

It was an incredible, against the odds win, but it was also a game which on paper we were outplayed and we're very fortunate to get the result.

The point about incredible against the odds wins is they are incredible and against the odds - if the plan is simply to rinse, repeat and hope that lightning strikes twice, there's a very high probability GWS will trounce us.

No one deserves to get dropped after a win like that. It's the travel that will hurt us anyway, If not one is injured they all deserve to back it up at Spotless.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 am

DALBY wrote:
Mead wrote:

It was an incredible, against the odds win, but it was also a game which on paper we were outplayed and we're very fortunate to get the result.

No one deserves to get dropped after a win like that. It's the travel that will hurt us anyway, If not one is injured they all deserve to back it up at Spotless.

Hypothetically had Natanui and arioli played a few or more reserves games. They would replace Vardy and Lecras.

Vardy needs to get more of the ball...become a cox link up type player. At the moment hes an average tap ruckman who gets half a dozen disposals a game. Dont get me wrong he takes some great contested marks and has shown some good game awarenes (for a ruckman :lol: )
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Hypothetically had Natanui and arioli played a few or more reserves games. They would replace Vardy and Lecras.

Vardy needs to get more of the ball...become a cox link up type player. At the moment hes an average tap ruckman who gets half a dozen disposals a game. Dont get me wrong he takes some great contested marks and has shown some good game awarenes (for a ruckman :lol: )

He is a forward who is playing as a ruckman and doing a hell of a job. Same with Petrie.

He is also like a rookie he hasn't played much footy in years gone.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Dobbie on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 am

Ive been thinking about this......

We struggle to run out a game as it stands right now. Playing a bloke who has not played a match all year is not gonna help this.
He's been pulling up sore, the risk of re-injury are we prepared to risk that?
Mumford in carrying an injury and out of form, i think even Vardy / Petrie could exploit him especially around the ground.

LeCras starts well but as our midfield was under siege the delivery into the forward line was via hail Mary's hardly a style that is gonna suit Lecras game.
Given that id still not play him. Wellingham or Rioli in.

Duggan was poor but who can you realistically bring in? Cole? We need to keep Greene out of the game.

Just my 2c
Dobbie
Rookie

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles