9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

1st Elimination Final: WCE v Port

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

1st Elimination Final: WCE v Port

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:31 am

Out of all the top 8 teams to play in an elimination final....im bloody stoked we got Port.

This time around i think a week off will serve the team well. Its too early to discuss changes but i want to discuss the game.

Do we roll the dice with Nic, and if so whom of Petrie or Vardy makes way? Whoever stays would need to be our main ruck....nic may play 5 to 8 most per quarter on ball and ruck in the forward line.

I honestly didnt think we would make the 8 after that loss to the pies, while this a nice achievement, i hope it does not paint over the issues we have with the midfield come the end of season review.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 1st Elimination Final: WCE v Port

Postby Dobbie on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am

If NicNat plays then

It's out of the following to be dropped.

1. Gov (if his shoulder doesn't come up)
2. Barass
3. Petrie
4. Vardy

Think they will name Petrie as a travelling EMG if NicNat named
Dobbie
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am

Yep we couldn't have landed a better team, even draw, to play. Adelaide Oval and Homebush are two grounds that we play fairly well at as they are similar in width to Subi.

Going to be an interesting few weeks.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby aquila audax on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Out of all the top 8 teams to play in an elimination final....im bloody stoked we got Port.

This time around i think a week off will serve the team well. Its too early to discuss changes but i want to discuss the game.

Do we roll the dice with Nic, and if so whom of Petrie or Vardy makes way? Whoever stays would need to be our main ruck....nic may play 5 to 8 most per quarter on ball and ruck in the forward line.

I honestly didnt think we would make the 8 after that loss to the pies, while this a nice achievement, i hope it does not paint over the issues we have with the midfield come the end of season review.

Why not think outside of the box ?

Why would we have to drop one of Vardy or Petrie to bring Nic Nat in ? The first two could do 80% of the ruck work , and give Nic a few 10 minute bursts throughout the game .

There must be someone else who could make way , who wouldn't be missed from the line up .
I would have nominated LeCras , but he actually gave some sort of effort yesterday .
Still when not rucking , Nic could be something of a target in the forward line without having to ruck there , and perhaps take some of the focus away from JK .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

aquila audax wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Out of all the top 8 teams to play in an elimination final....im bloody stoked we got Port.

Why not think outside of the box ?

Why would we have to drop one of Vardy or Petrie to bring Nic Nat in ? The first two could do 80% of the ruck work , and give Nic a few 10 minute bursts throughout the game .

There must be someone else who could make way , who wouldn't be missed from the line up .
I would have nominated LeCras , but he actually gave some sort of effort yesterday .
Still when not rucking , Nic could be something of a target in the forward line without having to ruck there , and perhaps take some of the focus away from JK .

You'd have to drop a tall, not a small, or we'd be way too tall. So you'd have to look at one of the following:
16. Mackenzie
17. Kennedy (righty-oh)...
19. Vardy.
20. McGovern.
21. Petrie.
27. Darling.
37. Barrass.

If any didn't come up for the game, then that makes it easy, but none deserve to be out. It would probably be Petrie if anyone, which would be a harsh call, but probably the only one you could make. Think the defenders would be safe, and Darling played a good game in the pressure cauldron this week. So it would be out of Vardy or Petrie. Either would be a bit stiff to be dropped.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bigbird on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

If anyone, I would look to Vardy. Petrie has made a massive contribution and his efforts not just on the weekend, but throughout the second half of the year have kept us in games. He gives his all and can really lift the side.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Or how about we be realists about our chances here and keep Nic in bubble wrap until next year?
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby The Boat on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 pm

jourgo wrote:Or how about we be realists about our chances here and keep Nic in bubble wrap until next year?

100%. Nic should not even be considered this year. Needs 4 lower level games at least before making his comeback.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:35 pm

The Boat wrote:
jourgo wrote:Or how about we be realists about our chances here and keep Nic in bubble wrap until next year?

100%. Nic should not even be considered this year. Needs 4 lower level games at least before making his comeback.

Simpson did laugh when he was asked the question and was expecting it. He rattled off a few other names, Rioli and Lycett were two, for a joke.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

I too, am of this opinion. It doesn't matter how hard someone trains, or how many match simulations they have done. you always hold something back as its not the same as the real thing.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Fuck it roll the dice. He's no more chance reinjuring the knee now than if we wait a few extra months. In for Vardy on limited minutes on the off chance he comes back in top form like Richo did a few years ago. As much as we suck its still finals and stranger things have happened.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby The Boat on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm

We can beat Port without him, but GWS is a different story.

If we play him v GWS that gives him another 3 weeks of conditioning.

Not that I am getting ahead of myself.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Yep I just reckon he's 28 and has what, 3-4 years left in his career, why not just go balls out why the opportunity to play finals is there? Might not get another chance.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:14 pm

With the way we were tapering off, here's a final I never thought we'd have. Thanks Collingwood but also still have to give credit to the boys to get the job done.

This will be a good final to give finals experience to the likes of Duggan, Sheed (who had a bad game against the Crows) and Partington. It will also be good to see someone like Yeo tear up a final and for Darls and Jets to back up what they did in the last quarter but in a four quarter effort finals context.

I do think this final is winnable but after that, even if we win, realistically I think that's as far as we go.

So my personal view is don't rush back Nic Nat because:

1. He lacks match fitness; and

2. We should not be cavalier with the overall long term health and prospects of our most valuable player.

Give him the chance to properly recover and get a full pre-season under his belt.
We want to move to Perth Stadium.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Simpson has put a thick black line through Nic's name for this game.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles