West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Matt Priddis retirement

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Matt Priddis retirement

Postby Mykidsdad on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Total Package wrote:Where would people think he ranks in terms of players at the club all-time?

Won a Brownlow, he's up there
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:
Total Package wrote:Where would people think he ranks in terms of players at the club all-time?

Won a Brownlow, he's up there

Definitely up there but would be difficult to put into an 'all time WCE team' against guys like Cousins, Judd, Kerr, and some of those from the early 90s. You'd just have to find a spot on the bench.

Two rewards I feel sorry for him that he won't get are 250 games and a premiership.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby sydney eagle on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Matt's career has been a tribute to tenacity. He was repeatedly overlooked in drafts until he finally won a Sandover medal in the WAFL. Even then no-one seemed interested until the Eagles took him in the rookie draft.He has been one of the most criticised (by some) players in the club for the whole of his career, but he has just kept working away, knowing his strengths and playing to them while trying to improve his weaknesses. He can be justly proud of his career with the Eagles and will be missed when he hangs up the boots !
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 pm

sydney eagle wrote:Matt's career has been a tribute to tenacity. He was repeatedly overlooked in drafts until he finally won a Sandover medal in the WAFL. Even then no-one seemed interested until the Eagles took him in the rookie draft.He has been one of the most criticised (by some) players in the club for the whole of his career, but he has just kept working away, knowing his strengths and playing to them while trying to improve his weaknesses. He can be justly proud of his career with the Eagles and will be missed when he hangs up the boots !

Well said. He hasn't really been taken seriously by the competition. His weight of numbers over a long period of time made people stand up and take notice. Several years ago his Champion Data numbers were up there with the best mids in the comp. Even then they wouldn't select him in the AA until they were embarrassed on Brownlow night. The umpires knew how effective he was when compared to his contemporaries.

The WCE saw his talent and effectiveness. One Club Champion and four Runners-Up. He could have easily won two or three more and that would have put him right up there with Cousins, Jakovich and Glass. Make no mistake Priddis is one of the best players to pull on a WCE jumper.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby sydney eagle on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Tended to get beaten in the best and fairest by some pretty good players too! Darren Glass beat him one year because , although they were tied for the award on points, Darren had played less games !
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 pm

This may not come as a great surprise as a few things have been floated round the last few weeks, but heard today from someone that speaks to a number of players at the club that Priddis and Simpson don't get on at all, thus the situation around his retirement. And not that many people believed it anyway, but Priddis didn't have a quad injury that kept him out of Brisbane/ St Kilda games.

I take it, with them not getting on, Priddis prob knew they wouldn't offer him a contract after this year, thus why he activated the clause in his contract mid season. Priddis to me seems like a real genuine bloke who gets with most people and wouldn't be one to dislike someone for no particular reason, so Simpson must be doing something that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Along with McGovern, Yeo also is said to be disgruntled about Priddis being pushed out.

Apparently the morale at the club is the lowest it's been in ages, which makes sense when you look at the performance of the team on field this year where it seems the majority of the team couldn't give a stuff and lack any heart and definitely not playing for their coach. Looks like Simpson has lost most of the players. I get the impression that he rubs a lot of players up the wrong way with how he goes about things as well.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Hamburger on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 pm

mysterio wrote:This may not come as a great surprise as a few things have been floated round the last few weeks, but heard today from someone that speaks to a number of players at the club that Priddis and Simpson don't get on at all, thus the situation around his retirement. And not that many people believed it anyway, but Priddis didn't have a quad injury that kept him out of Brisbane/ St Kilda games.

I take it, with them not getting on, Priddis prob knew they wouldn't offer him a contract after this year, thus why he activated the clause in his contract mid season. Priddis to me seems like a real genuine bloke who gets with most people and wouldn't be one to dislike someone for no particular reason, so Simpson must be doing something that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Along with McGovern, Yeo also is said to be disgruntled about Priddis being pushed out.

Apparently the morale at the club is the lowest it's been in ages, which makes sense when you look at the performance of the team on field this year where it seems the majority of the team couldn't give a stuff and lack any heart and definitely not playing for their coach. Looks like Simpson has lost most of the players. I get the impression that he rubs a lot of players up the wrong way with how he goes about things as well.

Been reading lately, but not posting. however cannot let this one sail by.
You may be correct in your reporting, but I have issues with it.
First is that the contention that players are just not playing for the coach. That might have had some credibility a few decades back, but this is the era of footballers who have their every whim catered for 24/7 by a horde of support staff.
They are professional sportspeople who are paid a shirtload of money to kick a bit of leather around for a few hours each week.....and they could'nt be bothered putting in because they don't like the coach? If that is true then we should move out every single one of them because they are not worth what they are being paid. The world is full of people working their best in jobs where they also don't like their bosses but they get on and do what they need to do to provide a professional service for the salary they receive....why should these guys be any different? The coach is not expected to be everyone's best mate. And if that is what some of the team honestly think then they are deluded.
The other issue is that it suggests the players think they know best when it comes to contracts, performance, team selection, etc. which if true is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. It might have some support among fans if it were the case that since Simpson arrived the team has underachieved....but by my reckoning the serial underachievers in this team were well established long before Simpson turned up.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby Mead on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm

mysterio wrote:This may not come as a great surprise as a few things have been floated round the last few weeks, but heard today from someone that speaks to a number of players at the club that Priddis and Simpson don't get on at all, thus the situation around his retirement. And not that many people believed it anyway, but Priddis didn't have a quad injury that kept him out of Brisbane/ St Kilda games.

I have nil inside information, but that all seems plausible. Doesn't necessarily mean they're in he right.

There's an obvious potential for a split between the old school eagles (ie Nisbett, Cox, Priddis, Hurn) and the North Melbourne/Hawthorn mafia (Simpson, Rawlings, Pratt, Mitchell, Petrie).

It would be human nature for someone in Priddis' shoes to bitterly resent recruiting Mitchell, given it's the addition of an additional slow, supposed clearance player (who is actually statistically speaking rubbish at clearances nowadays) which has more or less ended Priddis' career. When that person just happens to have a prior association and family friendship with Simpson, and is apparently there to 'fix' our midfield and be parachuted into a plum coaching job you can understand why that might not make people happy campers.

Personally I think Simpson has made a number of elementary errors these past two years which are not conducive to good team chemistry.

1. He's heavily recruited people he knows, and in doing so risked dividing the club and surrounding himself with yes men rather than the best people for the job.

2. He's believed, completely wrongly that it is possible to recruit and install leaders from other teams. That's not how leadership works in footy clubs. Effective leaders have to be home grown- it's an organic process which develops by people playing together over a long period of time.

3. He's overrated senior players and failed to trust youth and WAFL performancesAgain and again. And again and again and again. Any time a team selects other than on form and merit breeds a culture of entitlement amongst senior players, fosters division and means that when the axe finally does swing it leaves people feeling hard done by.

Put those three things together and you have a perfect recipe for an unhappy and divided playing group.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:05 am

End of the day if this is true and the players aren't playing for the coach this will be the second time this playing group has done so as most of the group were around for the Worsfold era. When do we stop blaming the coach and start blaming the players?

I get that a coach has to be able to get the best out of the players, but what do you do when players consistently don't like a coach? You can sack the coach and get a new one but whats to say after 2 years they dont like him as well and we end up in the same spot yet again?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:47 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

End of the day if this is true and the players aren't playing for the coach this will be the second time this playing group has done so as most of the group were around for the Worsfold era. When do we stop blaming the coach and start blaming the players?

I get that a coach has to be able to get the best out of the players, but what do you do when players consistently don't like a coach? You can sack the coach and get a new one but whats to say after 2 years they dont like him as well and we end up in the same spot yet again?

I couldn't of said it better. The playing group have become entitled assholes and are playing as such. Anyone would be think we have become the Dockers. :(
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:46 am

How can one guy have 20% of our tackle count.

Is it our gamestyle, or the players just to comfortable knowing they wont be dropped (yeo, sheed, duggan)
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby aquila audax on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

If any of this is true , there are 62,000 members who contribute to these players incomes which afford them a lifestyle that other young men their age could only dream of and provide them with the celebrity which goes with being an elite athlete .

You would expect their allegiance to their fans would out weigh any grievances they have with their coach .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby Total Package on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Hasn't Priddis come out and already said him and Simmo are almost best mates and that it's rubbish.

Quite honestly Simmo treated Priddis like he was his first son as he should have been dropped months earlier... so there is nothing to this rumour at all about them having a falling out.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby gus3232 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:28 pm

aquila audax wrote:If any of this is true , there are 62,000 members who contribute to these players incomes which afford them a lifestyle that other young men their age could only dream of and provide them with the celebrity which goes with being an elite athlete .

You would expect their allegiance to their fans would out weigh any grievances they have with their coach .

Having worked for a couple of pro sports teams in the past, my experience was that the vast majority of them do not give the slightest toss about members/fans.
Oh noooo....the front door's exploded!!!
gus3232
Regular

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:End of the day if this is true and the players aren't playing for the coach this will be the second time this playing group has done so as most of the group were around for the Worsfold era. When do we stop blaming the coach and start blaming the players?

I had the impression the end of the Worsfold era was more about Worsfold's disinterest than the players.

As far as the players not liking Simo that would be a major shock to me and think I will listen to TP again on this. I thought the whole point of Simo was that he is a modern coach who can talk nicely to the sensitive young players of the current millennial generation. Poor game plan and can't develop players from the WAFL but he can talk to them nicely and be their mate.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles