Round 18: Eagles V Pies

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 18: Eagles V Pies

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Total Package wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Total Package wrote:Yup but Partington is the big one. Justin Longmuir said the reason he is not getting a game is because he is an inside mid and we need outside mids. So basically us continuing to prefer to play Priddis, Redden and Masten as inside midfielders is the reason Patrington can't get game time. That's what upsets people... people those guys are getting smashed. It took months for them to finally drop Masten... and now its taking months for them to drop Bambi (I cannot believe they gave Priddis another 12 month contract.. wtf).

Masten is an outside player.

With regards age; take Mitchell, Petrie and Butler out and we are right in the pack with many other teams. We have five players over 30 (same as WB and GWS) Fremantle have seven. St.K, Melb, Haw, Ess, North, Sydney and Carlton have four. Only Brisbane and Richmond have less than three. Petrie and Mitchell have significantly bumped up our average age.

We have the most players over 150 games, but we have five players with more than 200 games (along with Port, Haw & Geel). Similarly take Mitchell and Petrie out of that mix and we are right back in the main pack.

Sorry that's what I meant.. Masten is an outside mid which is why he was picked over Partington who is an inside mid... and who can't get a game because Priddis is an inside mid.

Sounds bizarre when you put it that way. True though
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Pinion King wrote:The Priddis "played really good footy" comment bemuses me, but anyway.

This is probably what concerns me most about Adam Simpson. I can't have any faith in a guy who sees things on a football field that 99% of the population see differently.

It's like that time in his press conference after a game when he said Tom Barrass "had his colours lowered" after Barrass was almost best on ground. It's almost like he spends the entire game in a trance and then afterwards someone hands him a stat sheet and he goes "Oh Barrass had a few kicked on him... he mustn't have played well... oh and Priddis had 23 possessions.. Good on ya Pridda"
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Fat Side wrote:We have the most players over 150 games, but we have five players with more than 200 games (along with Port, Haw & Geel). Similarly take Mitchell and Petrie out of that mix and we are right back in the main pack.

It would be interesting to see how we compare against the rest of the comp by comparing games played in each of the age brackets
As of today, excluding non-elevated rookies.

For us this is what it looks like.
18-21 11 players 106 total / 9.6 avg
22-25 10 players 685 total / 68.5 avg
26-29 15 players 2130 total /142 avg
30+ 5 players 1239 total /247.8 avg

So we have a vast of experienced players who are at or over their peak, and this makes sense as we were basically in premiership contention or playing for one from 2015-2017.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Total Package wrote:
Pinion King wrote:The Priddis "played really good footy" comment bemuses me, but anyway.

This is probably what concerns me most about Adam Simpson. I can't have any faith in a guy who sees things on a football field that 99% of the population see differently.

It's like that time in his press conference after a game when he said Tom Barrass "had his colours lowered" after Barrass was almost best on ground. It's almost like he spends the entire game in a trance and then afterwards someone hands him a stat sheet and he goes "Oh Barrass had a few kicked on him... he mustn't have played well... oh and Priddis had 23 possessions.. Good on ya Pridda"

I beg to differ. Simmo just hasn't caught up with the Farmer Joe bandwagon that the whole world seems to have now jumped upon. He will get there... :)

More seriously though, you do have to wonder. The spin from the club, the coaches, Gary Stocks and the marketing department is incredible. It is bs and they are taking all of us for suckers. People like you (TP) have probably (almost certainty) watched more football than most of the coaches (remembering that most of them have had long playing careers both as kids and adults where they would not have been watching) and have seen teams go up and down and what causes that to happen. We dont need spin....just honesty.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Looking back in many ways, the 2015 GF has done a lot of damage to the club.

Situations like that usually fuel players and motivate them and put a fire in the belly to do better and improve and make amends. All the 2015 GF has done has exposed how mentally weak, and mentally scarred most of the team is. What started as a mental game of "we can't play/win at the MCG" then has blossomed into "we can't play well in Melb and now most interstate venues" and has now they are so mentally weak it has leaked to the aspect of can't hold a lead and run out games.

The playing interstate is all mental, as ive noticed when we play opposition below us where we are expected to beat them going on ladder position (GC, Hawkthorn, Collingwood, Essendon) the pressure is on them to win and they can't handle that pressure. Yet when we play side where we go in not expected to win (Port and Bulldogs) there is no outside pressure or expectation on them to win and they play better football.

I would love to get Sam Mitchell's view regarding the club's issues etc and not "i now play for WCE so i will downplay it" opinion, but an honest opinion from someone who has come to the club this year from a highly successful club and could see the issues that confront this team and especially the playing interstate problem this team has.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am

2015 we had a "Eagles Web" game plan that caught most teams off guard. We made a grand final probably before we were ready... but the 2015 Grand Final should have been a wake up call for us. Hawthorn showed the rest of the league how to beat us. Don't kick high and long... and keep possession of the ball with short kicking... and wait for West Coast to make a mistake going forward as we play the web and that means there are gigantic holes all over the ground for us to get cut up on the rebound.

2016 we were lets face it average for most of the year. We had a burst to end the year and finish 5th... and suddenly we were favourites to make a grand final after a so called easy win over the Bulldogs in the elim final who were struggling. Bulldogs of course tore us to shreds with their superior speed and kicking and season over.

2017 we've had the same tired eagles web. Teams have worked us out based on what Hawthorn did to us. Our midfield is old and slow and tired. Not having Nic Nat means missing an extra midfielder that busts open packs and doubles as the best tap ruckman in the league. Did we change our tactics at all to go 1 on 1 and make it a contest? Yeah once... against Geelong. It's obvious though that wasn't a tactic by Simmo but rather the fact it was a slippery night which demanded 1 on 1 contested footy. It was an accident not a tactic change.

2018? If we go in with the same tactics and "Eagles web" game plan as the last 3 years... we are toast. I'd see us finishing bottom 5 next year.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles