Advanced  

Latest Result

Semi Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 1 Perth Stadium
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus



READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm

By the way thanks for this site Q; appreciated. I can understand the burden this work of love must be for you at times. Hopefully you can find motivation to continue.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Streaker on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm

As the most prolific poster here I'd say it would be a great loss if EFH closed down. Unfortunately I no longer enjoy posting as most replies seem attacking in nature. I'd like to see some new blood as Moderators and am happy to give my role to someone new. I've enjoyed my time here but can no longer spend as much time as I used to. Perhaps an ignore button for those whose opinion you don't find agreeable might be an option.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am

Can the post approval now be lifted please? I think we can play nice now.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mr Q on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Can the post approval now be lifted please? I think we can play nice now.


I think I'll lift it after the weekend if everyone keeps playing nice until then.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 am

Firstly, thanks for the opportunity to participate in the forum and provide input in how to make this forum even better. I appreciate what you guys (moderators) do.

My piece. This is a terrific board, but it is littered with posters that cannot control their emotions. They take to the boards and abuse just flows.

I do not know why posters cannot make their views known about selection, form of players, coaching methods etc without the abuse. What irks me is the personal attacks directed at our players, coaching staff administration etc. I would like to think that posters are mature enough to keep their contributions to something more measured.

I believe criticism is important, but calling players spuds, duds, useless etc amounts to online bullying in my view and adds little to the forum.

I acknowledge that, due to complete frustration, I have criticised other posters on here. Using the term 'bedwetters' is not good enough and I apologise equivocally to those I no doubt offended. It won't happen again.

What many of us forget is that we are all WCE supporters/members. We love this club. I love my wife, but I don't call her a dud or tell her she is useless.

I suppose I am seeking a forum where ideas, suggestions and discussions can be thrown about. I would just like to see it without the constant denigration. Criticism is fine but keep it to the topic and not at the individual especially immediately following a game. For instance it's okay to say that player A is out of form and should be dropped to EP, or Player B made a mistake at a crucial time, but abusing them is not on IMO.

Perhaps the forum could be shut down during and for a couple of hours after each game? That will ensure that emotions are not so high when the opportunity comes to post.

If this is not a forum where this can occur then I have to accept that and move elsewhere. I would rather not because there are many mature posts on here.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 am

Mr Q wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:.... constructive and well argued rather than simply player denigration.


Player denigration is one of my bugbears. We're seeing a lot of problems in professional sport now where players are actively coming out with depression. And that's a serious thing, and there's absolutely no doubt that the Internet plays a part in that.

I don't mind criticism of players that is strictly based on how they're going. Comments like "worst player to play 150 games for us" just give me the shits. Whatever you might think of certain players, they are human beings - if you don't think you'd cope with similar comments about your abilities from a random stranger, then why the hell do you think the relative anonymity of the Internet makes it all OK? It is bullying and that's unacceptable in this day and age (in my opinion).

You can say something like "I'm not sure why Player X is selected when they don't seem to be performing well enough to be in the team. It's time to bring in Player Y instead", but saying "Player X is fucking useless and should be delisted" isn't really constructive or indeed worthy of anyone with a modicum of decency. The Internet unfortunately lets too many people be keyboard warriors, and I think that's a bad thing. Remember, this is people's lives and livelihoods that you're casually dumping on there. And if you don't think that players read this shit, well sorry, they do. They're like anyone else, if they're in the limelight, they want to see affirmation or otherwise from the public.


Agree wholeheartedly
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am

Fat Side wrote:Perhaps the forum could be shut down during and for a couple of hours after each game? That will ensure that emotions are not so high when the opportunity comes to post.

I think that would reduce the problem posts, but it was also reduce the point of a discussion board, since during & immediately after games is when a lot of talk takes place.

I don't believe that rules should bend to account for the lowest common denominator.
If a couple of people can't handle full strength beer at the new stadium without acting up, then full strength beer shouldn't be removed. The problem people should be. And similarly, if we set some guidelines here, we shouldn't also disable the board, we should just disable people from posting here if they can't be civil internet citizens.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Perhaps the forum could be shut down during and for a couple of hours after each game? That will ensure that emotions are not so high when the opportunity comes to post.

I think that would reduce the problem posts, but it was also reduce the point of a discussion board, since during & immediately after games is when a lot of talk takes place.

I don't believe that rules should bend to account for the lowest common denominator.
If a couple of people can't handle full strength beer at the new stadium without acting up, then full strength beer shouldn't be removed. The problem people should be. And similarly, if we set some guidelines here, we shouldn't also disable the board, we should just disable people from posting here if they can't be civil internet citizens.


Yep. makes sense. Perhaps provide a thread called 'have a whinge' and allow the denigrators on that forum and away from the general WCE discussion thread.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mr Q on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm going to go a bit D****land with the modding for a while (well maybe not that extreme, but...). If I think that what you're posting fails the simple criteria "would you say this to someone's face", then I'll be very loathe to leave it up.

Bad behaviour online is bad behaviour, and it makes for a much less congenial environment.

I don't care if your target is another poster, a player or coach, or even someone from another club or the AFL administration. You type down personal abuse, and that's going to go. You do it repeatedly, and I'll use alternative methods of making sure you don't post it - permanent moderation or banning for instance.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Mr Q wrote:I
I don't care if your target is another poster, a player or coach, or even someone from another club or the AFL administration. You type down personal abuse, and that's going to go. You do it repeatedly, and I'll use alternative methods of making sure you don't post it - permanent moderation or banning for instance.

I assume there are a few exceptions. Haydn Ballantyne, Greg Williams and Barry Hall must surely be fair game no matter what.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mr Q on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 pm

I am sure many may have thought that I'd pulled the pin on EFH. Hooray, that's not the case

There was an unfortunate hardware issue that has kept the site off the Intenet that I have been resolving with a major ISP. Now it is resolved, EFH should be fine.

(Note to everyone: default routers provided by ISPs can be complete shit)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby FXD on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Thank goodness. I genuinely thought you had rage quit.

If you can be bothered you should have an EFH Facebook page or Twitter so when stuff like this happens you can update on what the deal is.
Image
http://wceguernseys.tk
User avatar
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:42 pm
Location: The Pagoda

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am

FXD wrote:Thank goodness. I genuinely thought you had rage quit.

If you can be bothered you should have an EFH Facebook page or Twitter so when stuff like this happens you can update on what the deal is.


I had made a start on a FB page, but it's not gone anywhere yet.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby the voice of reason on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 pm

So good to have it back. Footy starved already and no other forum fills the need for footy news quite like this one. Life is back on track. Go the Eagles.
the voice of reason
Regular
 
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby HH on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Haha! Yes thought Q finally decided to can it in a fit of rage and frustration.

Glad to hear that wasn't the case.
User avatar
HH
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Captain’s Club

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest