Advanced  

Latest Result

Semi Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 1 Perth Stadium
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus



READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mr Q on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 pm

{EDIT:}
I'm going to go a bit D****land with the modding for a while (well maybe not that extreme, but...). If I think that what you're posting fails the simple criteria "would you say this to someone's face", then I'll be very loathe to leave it up.

Bad behaviour online is bad behaviour, and it makes for a much less congenial environment.

I don't care if your target is another poster, a player or coach, or even someone from another club or the AFL administration or anyone at all. You post personal abuse, and that's going to go. You do it repeatedly, and I'll use alternative methods of making sure you don't post it - permanent moderation or banning for instance.

OK people.

I've had enough. Most of what I read these days is people slinging off at one another, and what there is left is basically end-of-the-world doom and gloom

I'm really not sure I have the energy any more to keep this place afloat.

So. For now, everything is in moderation on the football boards. And if you want that to change back, then I need some concrete suggestions on how to:

1) Improve the tone of posting.
2) regenerate the boards so that we actually might appeal to users coming across EFH (yes. I know we need an update)
3) Any other ideas that people might have.

Post them below (sorry, they will be in the mod queue. but I will approve fairly quickly - other mods, please feel free to do so as well). Don't sling off at any other board members in those suggestions, or I'll probably go ballistic and just ban your arse.

I'm going to go a bit D****land with the modding for a while (well maybe not that extreme, but...). If I think that what you're posting fails the simple criteria "would you say this to someone's face", then I'll be very loathe to leave it up.

Bad behaviour online is bad behaviour, and it makes for a much less congenial environment.

I don't care if your target is another poster, a player or coach, or even someone from another club or the AFL administration. You type down personal abuse, and that's going to go. You do it repeatedly, and I'll use alternative methods of making sure you don't post it - permanent moderation or banning for instance.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby lazzas on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Mr Q wrote:OK people.

I've had enough. Most of what I read these days is people slinging off at one another, and what there is left is basically end-of-the-world doom and gloom

I'm really not sure I have the energy any more to keep this place afloat.

So. For now, everything is in moderation on the football boards. And if you want that to change back, then I need some concrete suggestions on how to:

1) Improve the tone of posting.
2) regenerate the boards so that we actually might appeal to users coming across EFH (yes. I know we need an update)
3) Any other ideas that people might have.

Post them below (sorry, they will be in the mod queue. but I will approve fairly quickly - other mods, please feel free to do so as well). Don't sling off at any other board members in those suggestions, or I'll probably go ballistic and just ban your arse.

I will likely re-enable normal service sometime next week - maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. But if I get back to this point again, I will turn on moderation indefinitely.

Oh, and I don't really have the time for this shit, so I guess you can imagine how annoying I'm finding this that I'm taking these steps.

Other mods: feel free to approve posts. But if there is one hint of personal abuse, do not.


You do a great job. I joined EFH because people here generally knew there stuff when it came to footy AND talked about footy. Unlike Big Footy where people seemed tojust have a go at other's opinions. Please everyone get on board with this.
lazzas
Regular
 
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Bodhi on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 am

I apologise if saying "Damn, i wish we played like Sydney" offended anyone. I finished watching them demolish GWS and admired the way they went about it and would love WC to have that resolve to get the job done. Just because i am a West Coast supporter, and have been since the beginning, (being a ex Perth boy and all) does not mean i do not watch other games and discuss the way other teams play. My Wife is an Essendon supporter and my son is an one eyed Geelong supporter and we get on very well debating other teams style of play. Again, apologies.
Bodhi
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 am

Posters need to accept that there are different ways people support their club. EFH is a way of sharing that opinion, wether thats calm or contrite or just out of sheer fustration. Ive done both.

I do like to express my fustrations or praise during game day and the week, and would like to do so without certian individuals having a go, telling me in a bandwagoner or thats not how i should support my club.

A long time ago we used to have some face to face catch ups at the irish. So you probably dont remember me Q, but i was one of those guys that came down. Booka, dalby and even farmer joe once. The rest of the guys dont really post anymore. Maybe another meetup would be benificial.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am

Ideas to improve the tone of posting:

Posters just need to be adult and understand others express their support of the club differently. If the want to call a player useless, let them who cares. If your a supporter who doesnt want to express dissapointment or fustration in that way thats fine, just dont attack those who do.

EFH catch ups i think would improve the relationships between posters and would reduce the infighting. Ive met a couple here in person some im even FB friends with lol.

I think the look of EFH doesnt need to change, its fit for purpose. The only thing i would change is make the threads only available for members. So you need to sign in to be apart of this forum.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby west coast ego on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 am

lazzas wrote:
Mr Q wrote:OK people.

I've had enough. Most of what I read these days is people slinging off at one another, and what there is left is basically end-of-the-world doom and gloom

I'm really not sure I have the energy any more to keep this place afloat.

So. For now, everything is in moderation on the football boards. And if you want that to change back, then I need some concrete suggestions on how to:

1) Improve the tone of posting.
2) regenerate the boards so that we actually might appeal to users coming across EFH (yes. I know we need an update)
3) Any other ideas that people might have.

Post them below (sorry, they will be in the mod queue. but I will approve fairly quickly - other mods, please feel free to do so as well). Don't sling off at any other board members in those suggestions, or I'll probably go ballistic and just ban your arse.

I will likely re-enable normal service sometime next week - maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. But if I get back to this point again, I will turn on moderation indefinitely.

Oh, and I don't really have the time for this shit, so I guess you can imagine how annoying I'm finding this that I'm taking these steps.

Other mods: feel free to approve posts. But if there is one hint of personal abuse, do not.


You do a great job. I joined EFH because people here generally knew there stuff when it came to footy AND talked about footy. Unlike Big Footy where people seemed tojust have a go at other's opinions. Please everyone get on board with this.


1. Agree the membership of this forum has become a lot more unfriendly toward one another. As lazzas said, the respectful and knowledgeable discussion was why I hang here not big footy.

2. The unbelievable levels of negativity about anything the club does has stopped me from posting anywhere near as often as I used too, now I just read and move on mostly. I get that this is an opinion forum but at the moment I see little constructive discussion around those opinions and a lot of attacking individuals (players, coaches, admin, forum members...)

3. I think you will struggle to attract (significant) new members no matter what you will do. Forums are largely finished across the internet. I am regularly active on four forums and all four are having the same discussions on how to attract new people. I think it is (unfortunately) just an outdated format.

4. This is my one actual suggestion...

You may need to consider expanding your moderator team.
Set some rules that if your post discusss xy or z it will be moved to a relevant topic no questions asked.
Have enough moderators to regularly move any post that is filled with the oh so repetitive posts about dropping the whole team, playing only those whose are under 20 and sacking the coach and every staff member at WCE down to the towel washers into a more relevant topic.

That way it just might be possible to read a topic that is titled "WCE vs Port" and see some discussion that actually relates to the match between those two clubs.

And those who are wanting to dicusss the sacking of all and sundry can do so in a thread uninterrupted with annoying discussion about a gam pe of football.
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
User avatar
west coast ego
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Pinion King on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 am

Probably one thing. Be stricter. If people step out of line ban them for a week.

I used to mod a forum years ago and we stamped this issue out. 2 steps, a warning and then blocked for a week or more.

If they want to continue to post then they come back with a cleaner attitude, if not then they go away.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Bodhi on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

Here is a couple of suggestions that might help.
1)..If you are not happy with what someone has posted, re read the post before making a reply.
2)..do not post a reply if you have had a skin full of alcohol, as you might regret the reply the next morning.
3)..Reply with respect to the other person because you really don't know who they are.
And lastly..sometimes there is someone who you never agree with or just don't like their post's, or the tone of their posts, never reply to their posts if you cannot be respectful.
Bodhi
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby the voice of reason on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 pm

My suggestions are,

Forums like this are like the football industry itself, very opinion driven. But comments and responses should play the ball and not the man. If you don't agree state your case, argue your point, present your facts, opinions and judgements but don't attack anyone for having a different opinion. I love these forums but people have to feel comfortable expressing their views and opinions without someone coming back and attacking them. If you play the man get one warning before being banned for a period of time.
the voice of reason
Regular
 
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Bigbird on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I think one of the biggest challenges is that individual personalities, passionate fans and emotion more often than not get in the way of logic. You can ask for people to do the right thing, clearly explain the rules - but ultimately someone is going to get their attitude on or nose out of joint from time to time. Active moderation is probably the only real solution to this, with a strong education component so that users understand what is acceptable.

I'll also PM you on something related to the site, traffic and design, etc.

Cheers.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
User avatar
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:42 pm
Location: Somewhere in time...

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby FXD on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:56 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
I think the look of EFH doesnt need to change, its fit for purpose. The only thing i would change is make the threads only available for members. So you need to sign in to be apart of this forum.


The site needs a mobile version. More and more people are using their phones to get online, and pinching and zooming gets tiresome.
Image
http://wceguernseys.tk
User avatar
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:42 pm
Location: The Pagoda

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby moogadah on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Maybe populate each comment box with the words "personal abuse and (extreme) pessimism not tolerated here!"
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
User avatar
moogadah
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Block 106

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Mykidsdad on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:09 pm

No great suggestion from me, sorry. Love this site and get a lot of insight from different opinions.
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
User avatar
Mykidsdad
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 am
Location: Perth

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Fair enough. Can't say this is a total surprise or have we been here before. Asking people to simply play nice has not worked so I'm not sure what else you can do without becoming the fun police.

Hard to take away doom and gloom when our highly rated team is playing so badly but you can hope that it’s constructive and well argued rather than simply player denigration.

Regarding personal abuse maybe some sort of nonpublic demerit point system where you and the other moderators can PM someone who is stepping over the line and slowly bring them to the standard that makes it all worth your while. One point for small abuse like telling someone to leave and go support the Dockers and 4 for really hostile personal abuse. If someone earns 12 points then ban them for a while. No need to make the ban or incidents public as it should be about reform not shame and keep the moderators free from justifying themselves as no one incident should determine a ban.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: READ THIS NOW: The future of EFH.

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

lazzas wrote:You do a great job. I joined EFH because people here generally knew there stuff when it came to footy AND talked about footy. Unlike Big Footy where people seemed tojust have a go at other's opinions. Please everyone get on board with this.

This pretty well sums it up.

This was the place to talk about footy, not degenerate into personal abuse. A few comments and a couple of suggestions.

1. Respect others opinions. If you disagree, attempt to come up with a rational argument to support your opinions and counter theirs.
2. If your only comeback is personal abuse, then button it, you've lost the argument before you start... and
3. Prepare to be banned. Personal abuse = warning then ban. Firstly for a week, then longer.
4. Lively discussion and strong opinions are fine providing... see point 2.
5. It is ok to criticize the club and players, providing you can actually make an argument to support your case. Player x is a crab doesn't cut it. Player x's output has dropped significantly this year to the point where he is making more turnovers than hitting targets is an expressible viewpoint.
6. Mods need to be more strict, but be aware of the line between strong opinion and abuse.
7. If someone is warned or banned they should have the right of appeal, but also accept that the appeal will be unlikely to succeed without a very good argument.

I have been on the receiving end of both reasoned argument that I disagree with and abuse. One is ok, one is not. I would actually prefer somep kids or lose ue argues against me than abuse occurs in support of my opinion.

Grow up kids or lose the sandpit.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

cron