West Coast v Adelaide
Game Focus

Round 17: WESTERN DERBY

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 17: WESTERN DERBY

Postby Mead on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Basically this was the port game but with a more inept opponent. A much younger, vastly less experienced Fremantle side flogged us in the clearances and inside 50s, and for the fourth week running West Coast ran out of legs and were road kill late in the game- but the dockers blew their around ground dominance through dreadful forward entries and quite hilariously bad kicking on goal. That said, I can't think of a more fitting result in the last derby at subi than Fremantle massively underachieving.

After a slow start this season, it was good to see Duggan play a game which lived up to the immense potential he showed in his debut year- hopefully it will be a bit of a milestone for him.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Mead wrote:Basically this was the port game but with a more inept opponent. A much younger, vastly less experienced Fremantle side flogged us in the clearances and inside 50s, and for the fourth week running West Coast ran out of legs and were road kill late in the game- but the dockers blew their around ground dominance through dreadful forward entries and quite hilariously bad kicking on goal. That said, I can't think of a more fitting result in the last derby at subi than Fremantle massively underachieving.

After a slow start this season, it was good to see Duggan play a game which lived up to the immense potential he showed in his debut year- hopefully it will be a bit of a milestone for him.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to write.

Don't think I've ever been more disillusioned with a win in my life. This game and the Port game will just be papering over the cracks again... and give Simmo even more reason to say "I told ya so" for picking Priddis and Masten over young kids.

What a waste of a season.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Freo ... wow ... the forward 50 metre arc was really not their friend today.
Lucky for us, because if felt like we were asking to get steamrolled.
I'll take the 4 points, but other positives will be few and far between.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Scrappy game. Always good to beat the muppetts but other than the Duggan break out effort, I don't think there were any huge positives to take from the game.

P.S. And in light of recent events on here I am happy for anyone to disagree with the last statement if you can argue your case in a reasoned and logical manner. If all you want to do is abuse me and my opinion then you can just...

This in no way a dig, but:

Kennedy got through unscathed
Darling backed up from last week
Sheed was solid
We won the last derby (at subi?

What i am really concerned about is how we run out of gas towards the end of each quarter. Its probably more noticable due to the majority of our midfielders being one paced.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby gus3232 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Total Package wrote:What a waste of a season.

TP, this comment has me curious. Why would it be a waste?

Further to that, what would be the opposite to that, or what would constitute a non wasted (successful?) season?
Oh noooo....the front door's exploded!!!
gus3232
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Apparently Lycett looks like season over.

McGovern looks so much better down back.

The crowd numbers were disappointing. We had over 40k earlier this year and they only get 38k.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 pm

gus3232 wrote:
Total Package wrote:What a waste of a season.

TP, this comment has me curious. Why would it be a waste?

Further to that, what would be the opposite to that, or what would constitute a non wasted (successful?) season?

Because 1 of only 2 things can be true. Either the team we keep selecting is capable of winning a premiership or it's not capable of winning a premiership. I'm firmly in the camp that says we have almost no chance of winning a premiership.

A midfield containing mostly of Priddis, Masten, Redden, Hutchings (and sad to say Mitchell) cannot win a Premiership. It's even worse when 2 of those players are 35 and 32... and we just signed one of them up for another 12 months when their legs are giving out from under them. Masten as well is 28 and played 170 games and quite frankly is not in our best 22.

We keep going to the well with these older guys and picking them over younger kids. It reeks of a coaching staff that are deluded as to how good we are. Also the fact they have Nic Nat over in the US trying to fast track his return from knee injury so he can make it back by Round 23. I mean what in god's name is the club doing.... risking the entire future of the club on bringing your most important player back from an ACL with no pre-season behind him and putting him out onto a field 1 week before the finals. That proves to me the coaching staff are absolutely delusional about our chances this year.

I could handle watching that Derby abomination I saw tonight if we had youngsters playing and learning the ropes in the midfield and being a bit inconsistent. Much like Liam Duggan was early on this year and last year... and look what experience and games under his belt is doing for Liam Duggan now. He is looking like our next captain after 30 odd games.

Instead we will finish 8th or even 5th or 6th... and get knocked out week 1 again in the Finals. Maybe we make it to week 2... maybe even fluke a prelim spot and get smashed anyway. But by the end of the year if we have blooded only 1 new player (Kurt Mutimer) this year... and our midfield next year is Mitchell at age 36 and Priddis at age 33 then I could not think of a bigger waste of a season in my 30 years of watching this team. This year should have been the year we blooded new kids and got some games into them whilst Nic Nat was out as we were never winning a flag. Instead we have done the exact opposite because we having a coaching staff that is deluding itself into believe it can "do a Western Bulldogs". On top of that Simmo who I loved has turned into this spin doctor that tries to weave and spin every negative into some sort of positive and flat out denying that we just aren't good enough.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 am

Hurn was great, Duggan too. Redden hopefully is not dropped next week either. Pendels has a sore hand and may miss too.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am

Mead wrote:Basically this was the port game but with a more inept opponent. A much younger, vastly less experienced Fremantle side flogged us in the clearances and inside 50s, and for the fourth week running West Coast ran out of legs and were road kill late in the game- but the dockers blew their around ground dominance through dreadful forward entries and quite hilariously bad kicking on goal. That said, I can't think of a more fitting result in the last derby at subi than Fremantle massively underachieving.

If we can't address the clearance issues resulting in sub optimal inside 50s, we can't really progress too much further this season. We are relying on forward entry efficiency and a stoic defence to get us over the line. Having both Lycett and Naitanui out has, unfortunately, been our Achilles heel. We hoped the midfield would step up, but we are falling behind other clubs in midfield depth of quality. Naitanui's influence in the middle has hidden the midfield issues.

Duggan was excellent and no doubt a break out game for him. Partington must play this week after collecting 28 possessions and a goal at EP.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 am

I share the same sentiment as TP, except for the season being a TOTAL waste.

I cannot remember a time where fans and the club were at total odds with eachother.

Towards the end of last year i supported the clubs decision to get petrie as an insurance policy and also to get mitchell as player/coach. However 2 months into the season it was apparent that our midfield as a collective just arnt good enouhh and i do feel like we have missed a golden opportunity to blood younger players.

I just hope the club has had a chat to priddis and made it clear that there may be a good chance he will be spending next year at WAFL while the club goves opportunities to guys like partington.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bodhi on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:I share the same sentiment as TP, except for the season being a TOTAL waste.

I cannot remember a time where fans and the club were at total odds with eachother.

Towards the end of last year i supported the clubs decision to get petrie as an insurance policy and also to get mitchell as player/coach. However 2 months into the season it was apparent that our midfield as a collective just arnt good enouhh and i do feel like we have missed a golden opportunity to blood younger players.

I just hope the club has had a chat to priddis and made it clear that there may be a good chance he will be spending next year at WAFL while the club goves opportunities to guys like partington.

And it showed in the turnout for the game on Sunday as the commentators mentioned the crowd was down a little on a perfect day for football. Support for WC is all over the place as the Fans show their confusion as to what the hell is going on inside the club. I reckon a memo, to the fans from WC, would go a long way in reconciling the widening gap that is appearing. Here is a question..Should the clubs (all of them) be more upfront with their supporters or is there a reason they don't? Is Simmo a little hamstrung in the way he goes about things because of someone looking over his shoulder? In your support Domo, of the recruitment of Petrie and Mitchell, i looked at it differently and my first reaction was..what the hell are we getting two old blokes for? we have enough already who are struggling. I believe that is already starting to show as i have never seen Mitchell getting caught so much and Drew is starting to show some cracks also. Maybe should have grabbed Rockcliffe while he wanted to move?
Bodhi
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:I cannot remember a time where fans and the club were at total odds with eachother.

Neither can I. 2010 we just accepted it. The stars were gone and we were rebuilding. We just moved on.

This year you look at the forums, Twitter, FB and the fans (including me) are really ticked off with mentality the club.

We all want our team to win, but the fan's can see players out of form holding their spots over some of the kids that deserve a game. They want to see what the future has to offer. As well as the way we turn up one week and don't turn up the next.

I think that is what is pissing most off.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:I share the same sentiment as TP, except for the season being a TOTAL waste.

I supported the Mitchell and Petrie deals, but I am sure we all thought that our chances depended on the midfield stepping right up to cover the loss of Naitanui (at least until he returned). They don't appear to have stepped up, or other clubs have moved past them. The injury to Lycett exacerbated the problem and there are question marks over the return of either of them.

We need to win at least three more games to make the eight (assuming we need 12 wins). I can see us beating Brisbane and Carlton, but I have serious doubts about the other four games.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Fat Side wrote:We need to win at least three more games to make the eight (assuming we need 12 wins). I can see us beating Brisbane and Carlton, but I have serious doubts about the other four games.

We may win one against the pies this week, or the saints in 3 weeks. Both are on par or slightly below us but if they play their best footy and we come into this game like we did against Essendon, we dont stand a chance.

Its no secret that the clubs hopeful of doing a western bulldogs. Reality is we had our chance in 2015 to do a 2008 hawthorn.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby sydney eagle on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I think that the Eagles were rather lucky that Freo wasn't kicking straight. They seemed to miss an awful lot of very gettable chances.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles