West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Round 16: Eagles V Port

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 16: Eagles V Port

Postby lazzas on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Eagles lost 3 out of the last 4 at home things are seriously broken. Actually could have lost 4 from 4 at home Cats finished with 2 on bench that game. I think everyone is really disappointed because the Eagles have a great spine but a dodgy engine. Engine needs an urgent re boar.
lazzas
Regular

Postby keagle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm

lazzas wrote:Eagles lost 3 out of the last 4 at home things are seriously broken. Actually could have lost 4 from 4 at home Cats finished with 2 on bench that game. I think everyone is really disappointed because the Eagles have a great spine but a dodgy engine. Engine needs an urgent re boar.

Agree with this although, unfortunately imho the problems are bigger than just personnel. The whole culture of the club is way off and, on field at least, this needs to be dictated by leaders (and by extension, that comes from the coach). One can only assume the present leaders are not getting any cut through and buy in with the wider group meaning, in effect, many players arent playing for the collective (as simmo likes to quote). This means there appears to be a bit of a divide amongst the collective and it's this that needs to be addressed either by players coaches or both.

And simmo needs to be honest because, as much as he claims otherwise, the younger players are just not the same when the so called leaders are around the ball - younger guys defer responsibility and acf like younger siblings (witness how many times players give to mitchell when they should go themselves, wait for someone else to fly for a mark, wait for priddis to go get the ball). Interestingly, hutch and shepperd were the only two yesterday who took it upon themselves to make things happen after we got 4 goals down -hurn, priddis, mitchell et al were nowhere to be seen during that time.

Unfortunately i reckon its going to get worse before it gets better and we can only hope that handover of power within the playing group happens quickly (either by players missing through injury/suspension or by coaches making hard decisions). Unlikely but hope Springs eternal!
keagle
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Hodge today set an example that the ageing players on our list should follow. He is retiring so the team can move forward and to give them young players a go.

Everyone 30 or over on our list should be retiring at the end of the year to allow the team to move forward and stop taking up places in the team that we have young blokes sitting there to fill them.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Pinion King wrote:Hodge today set an example that the ageing players on our list should follow. He is retiring so the team can move forward and to give them young players a go.

Everyone 30 or over on our list should be retiring at the end of the year to allow the team to move forward and stop taking up places in the team that we have young blokes sitting there to fill them.

Kennedy will be 30 at the end of the year.

If your form warrants being selected in the 22 (and the teams in finals contention) then it shouldnt matter what age you are. If an elder statesmens form is similar or juat below that of a younfer developing player, then that spot should go to the youngster.

Priddis, masten, butler and wellingham fall under the latter.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Hodge today set an example that the ageing players on our list should follow. He is retiring so the team can move forward and to give them young players a go.

Kennedy will be 30 at the end of the year.

If your form warrants being selected in the 22 (and the teams in finals contention) then it shouldnt matter what age you are. If an elder statesmens form is similar or juat below that of a younfer developing player, then that spot should go to the youngster.

Priddis, masten, butler and wellingham fall under the latter.

Oops.

Well the way our selectors and coaches are, they are going to keep their spots anyway.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 pm

:lol:
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:12 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:And another reason why it is so annoying. If it were a young team you could cop that, they aren't hardened bodies out there that can run out games, but we have majority of our team as blokes in their prime... They should be able to give 4 quarters of intensity and effort...

This sums up my feelings. If it were a young team I would be seeing things in an entirely different light. But it’s not, this is as good as it gets and yet while they can play great footy for small bursts they spend way too much of each game fading and being feeble.

I still think this team has all the ingredients required but they are not being put together well at all. Not selected well, not coached well and not led well.

I don't think we need to start forcing players out based on age, that to me is just silly as it's not like we have a host of players who are 34+ We do need to select on form and not reputation no matter the age.
Last edited by Fair Bump Play On on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 am

farmer joe wrote:
Fat Side wrote: Priddis is clearly not fully fit

Or maybe age has caught up with him. You cannot convince me that this is the first time that he has had to play hurt? If he cannot play hurt he shouldn't play.

He is in danger of embarrassing himself. Even the oldies around me, who are all Matt Priddis lovers, were laughing at how the Port players were able to run away from him through the middle of the ground. It has become a bloody joke. :( My young bloke said it reminded him of the half time competition with the crowd member having to run against the moving sign and the sign progressively getting further away.

How did I know you would swoop on this. I don't entirely disagree with your point, but I think if he isn't quite fit, he should be given the opportunity to get himself right. Redden had good numbers against the Dogs and so we don't lose anything by giving Priddis some time. I certainly agree that the game is moving ahead of Priddis and he will either have to change his game (I'm not sure he can) or he will fall by the wayside.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:44 am

lazzas wrote:Engine needs an urgent re boar.

We need a pig of a midfield?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:46 am

You want your sponsored player to retire? JK turns 30 next month so he's out?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby lazzas on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 am

Fat Side wrote:

Yeah love a couple footy pigs in the guts.
lazzas
Regular

Postby DALBY on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 am

lazzas wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

Yeah love a couple footy pigs in the guts.

Zorko and Rockliff come to mind.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am

Fat Side wrote:

You want your sponsored player to retire? JK turns 30 next month so he's out?

As I said above, oops.

Over 30 then.

Thought Kennedy turned 29 this year.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 am

lazzas wrote:Eagles lost 3 out of the last 4 at home things are seriously broken. Actually could have lost 4 from 4 at home Cats finished with 2 on bench that game. I think everyone is really disappointed because the Eagles have a great spine but a dodgy engine. Engine needs an urgent re boar.

Sumich for Simpson please. Vastly experienced and a hard straight shooter, knows how to develop youth, knows enough about Westcoast to take on the institution and make the team his own, there's no-one in Australia with a better grasp of WA's emerging talent. Simpson is a dud.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:13 am

WCE06 wrote:

Sumich for Simpson please. Vastly experienced and a hard straight shooter, knows how to develop youth, knows enough about Westcoast to take on the institution and make the team his own, there's no-one in Australia with a better grasp of WA's emerging talent. Simpson is a dud.

Are you serious? No thanks, Suma didn't get the top job for a reason.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles