West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Round 16: Eagles V Port

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Round 16: Eagles V Port

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 am

We just have to back this game up with a strong win.

Out: Butler (inj), Wellingham (inj), Masten, Petrie
In: Kennedy, Nelson, Partington, Lycett, Nelson

Do we have any more small defenders if nelson does not come up?

Someone suggested that Petrie/Vardy are playing well enough to keep Lycett out of the team...... Both back ups have been serviceable as 1st ruck but I don't thinks so, we need a genuine ruckman back in the team ASAP.

The in's aren't perfect but provide a discussion point. With Gov returning down back, can we have all 3 defensive talls and who makes way? A stopper like Emac, who is starting to get confident or can we afford to have 2 loose intercept markers?

I think it was a massive error playing Masten ahead of Partington, which needs to be rectified this week.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Round 16: Eagles V Port

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:53 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:We just have to back this game up with a strong win.

Out: Butler (inj), Wellingham (inj), Masten, Petrie
In: Kennedy, Nelson, Partington, Lycett, Nelson

Do we have any more small defenders if nelson does not come up?

Someone suggested that Petrie/Vardy are playing well enough to keep Lycett out of the team...... Both back ups have been serviceable as 1st ruck but I don't thinks so, we need a genuine ruckman back in the team ASAP.

The in's aren't perfect but provide a discussion point. With Gov returning down back, can we have all 3 defensive talls and who makes way? A stopper like Emac, who is starting to get confident or can we afford to have 2 loose intercept markers?

I think it was a massive error playing Masten ahead of Partington, which needs to be rectified this week.

OUT: Wellingham, Butler, Masten, Petrie, Barrass
IN: Nelson, Hurn, Lycett, Kennedy, Partington/Mutimer

Lycett has to come in this week to match up on Ryder. Mackenzie to Dixon, Hutchings to R.Gray, Nelson to Wingard. We need to make sure that Karpany and/or Cripps are at the front of JK at every forward delivery to him. If PA play the same way this week as last time we played them, they will triple team JK when to ball comes forward. That will gift our small forwards off the pack. LeCras ran amok last time.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 am

Last time we played port I felt like we went in very inside-mid heavy (Priddis, Mitchell, Hutchings, Redden) - I guess to counteract Ports contested-ball focus. It obviously worked for us then. So I think the swap masten for partington could work well. I don't think it will happen though. I think Priddis will be brought back in.

I think Cripps found some form late in the dogs game, so keep him in, otherwise that would be another spot Partington could fill.

Duggan was quiet and probably isn't needed when we have Jetta and Gaff in the team against a team like Port.

I also think we need to keep Petrie in the team. He had 12 '1%ers' against the bulldogs - 12! The next closest was Mckenzie with 6. He is a better forward than Vardy at this stage, is more desperate and knows when he just has to break a pack or make a target. Vardy played well in that last quarter, but petrie was better across the game.

In: Priddis, Nelson, Hurn, Kennedy, Lycett
Out: Duggan, Butler (inj), Wellingham (inj), Masten, Vardy,

Mcgovern goes back, Shepp makes Grey his b*&#h again and Nelson on Wingard. Mckenzie, Mcgovern and Barrass for Dixon, Ryder and Trengove
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 am

Out: Masten, Butler (inj), Wellingham (inj), Petrie, Barrass
In: Kennedy, Partington, Lycett, Nelson (if fit)/Schofield, Hurn

Barrass only goes out because of balance, we can't go in super tall. McGovern goes back as the interceptor and MacKenzie locks down on Dixon.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 am

I am a bit excited about this week and being there. The count down for the old girl that is Subi is on. :)

I am hoping that that the in's include Partington, Lycett, Nelson and JK and Butler, Masten and wellingham are amongst the outs. Also hoping that Redden gets another real crack in the midfield.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 am

Petrie should not be dropped.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am

Someone has to make way for Lycett.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Matt Lloyd asked the question, do we look better without Priddis. Barrat and Lyon both said yes.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Pinion King wrote:Matt Lloyd asked the question, do we look better without Priddis. Barrat and Lyon both said yes.

I have to agree. Yes he is carrying an injury and hasn't been 100% for most of the year, but at the end of the day using 2 players to (effectively) fill 1 spot is wasteful. Mitchell has the sweeper at the back of the pack covered and either Priddis or Redden do the inside/under/tackling role. Either/Or, not both, and at the moment the better choice is Redden.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby mysterio on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm

I would think Partington will make his debut this Sunday. Generally West Coast take a player on the cusp of selection as the travelling emergency then play them the following week. I think that was the case with Mutimer. Plus the fact that East Perth have a bye this week so I can't see them not playing Partington and him not playing any footy for 2 weeks.

But with so many regular players available to return this week, will be interesting to see if that's the case
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 pm

mysterio wrote:I would think Partington will make his debut this Sunday. Generally West Coast take a player on the cusp of selection as the travelling emergency then play them the following week. I think that was the case with Mutimer. Plus the fact that East Perth have a bye this week so I can't see them not playing Partington and him not playing any footy for 2 weeks.

But with so many regular players available to return this week, will be interesting to see if that's the case

You forget we still have the same selectors so it would be amazing if they play him. If we have the bye this week then it smacks of player mismanagement and one way to take off the pressure for selecting him; because he is no longer racking up high possession numbers and kicking goals for East Perth. In fact all they have probably done by taking him to Melbourne and not playing him is to stall his development. Lets hope that's not the case.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 pm

You know what I'd love this week - a percentage boosting 60 point win. Our potency in attack is way down on the last 2 years and I'm about ready to be able to relax at half time because we're so far ahead.

A man can dream...
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Hamburger on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 pm

CouchPotato wrote:You know what I'd love this week - a percentage boosting 60 point win. Our potency in attack is way down on the last 2 years and I'm about ready to be able to relax at half time because we're so far ahead.

A man can dream...

Yep, me too. The pundits were fond of calling us 'flat track bullies' at home and pussies away mostly because these last couple of years against any opponent on our home deck we have routinely pulverised visiting teams. That is certainly not the case this year. We have had some close calls, and lost a couple too but in most of the home games the visiting side could always feel they were still in the game.
I would happily have a couple of pulverisings of the opposition at home from here on in....but sadly I suspect we are about to return to the side most of the senior players who have not been all that effective so far this year. As has been stated by others...they will do well in this home game and then go missing interstate.

If they drop Karpany this week in favour of Hill or LeCras I will not be renewing my membership.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I really dislike the Sunday afternoon timeslot.

A few selection headaches this week, first time in a while.

Petrie for Vardy/Lycett?
Hurn for Wellingham
Kennedy for Emac/Barrass?
Emac or Barrass to make way for Gov returning to defense?
Does Priddis come straight back into the team?
Does Lecras and/or Hill come straight back in the team? at the expense of who?
Masten for Partington?
Will Partington get a run? i read that the coaches want him to improve on his defensive aspects of the game. This could be a reason for his continual snub at selection.
Has nelson recovered to replace Butler, and if not who else can replace him?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:14 pm

I really dislike the Sunday afternoon timeslot.

A few selection headaches this week, first time in a while.

Petrie for Vardy/Lycett?
Hurn for Wellingham
Kennedy for Emac/Barrass?
Emac or Barrass to make way for Gov returning to defense?
Does Priddis come straight back into the team?
Does Lecras and/or Hill come straight back in the team? at the expense of who?
Masten for Partington?
Will Partington get a run? i read that the coaches want him to improve on his defensive aspects of the game. This could be a reason for his continual snub at selection.
Has nelson recovered to replace Butler, and if not who else can replace him?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles