Game Focus

Round 14 WCE vs DEMONS

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 14 WCE vs DEMONS

Postby west coast ego on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Fat Side wrote:
mysterio wrote:I can understand why Simpson said that, although not in total agreement with what he said.

His opponent Mcdonald who isn't a natural forward who had only kicked 17 goals over his 120 game career, kicked 5 goals and beat Barass in a few one on one marking contests or on the lead. However Barass's overall game bar the aspect of what his opponent kicked was very good and took a lot of timely contested marks around the ground in pressure situations.

On the game overall, we didn't played our worst but we didn't bring the intensity and pressure from last week against the Cats. Had we brought the same intensity from last week we would of won. Melbourne were very good though and were more effiant with their ball use compare to us where we were a bit wasteful with the amount of ball we got inside 50. Melbourne really hurt us with their drive and run from the backline and our tackling and pressure was pretty average and they got the ball out fairly easily and set up a lot of their goals with that run from the backline and our leg speed got shown up.

Barrass is the emerging key defender in the comp. Along with Lever (Crows) and Leslie (GC) Barrass is right up there. Remember that McDonald is no slouch. He is a quality player and has a few years on Barrass. Barrass will learn and get even better. I loved his game last night.

The thing here for me is this:

If Simpson truly believes Barrass was having his colors lowered, then why in gods name didnt The fecking coach make a move and put E-Mac who is a better 1v1 defender onto McDonald to stem the flow of goals
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:This is what shits me

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/ ... -prospects

Seriously ??? 4 losses out of the last 5 games still cannot win in Melb and he is upbeat delusional is more like it

Okay Simmo if you are so Upbeat about our prospects... first lets start by winning in melbourne against the reining premiers :roll: :roll:

Prove us wrong simmo and give the supporters some hope because atm you are just an average coach

In fairness he has to be upbeat. The alternative is to throw in the towel. I think it is time to start playing the kids now.

He is playing the kids. Its time to chop the dead wood. Sorry Matt Priddis, you are done.
Watched EP yesterday. I think Butler is cooked and Wellingham has his head up his own butt. Liked Watson and Partington. Lycett is a beast of a bloke and we miss his aggression. He is my type of footballer.

And it is at this time that we should remember... we just signed Priddis up for another year a few weeks ago... for no conceivable reason.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby keagle on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 am

A defender has 5 or 6 against him and he is one of our best? I am not a huge simmo fan but seeing barass through rose coloured glasses doesnt help. Just becuaee he takes a dew intercept marks doesnt mean he is a great player he f ets beaten 1 on 1 way too much and often ,oses his man[/quote]

Looking in context, in terms of 1 on 1 yeh barrass lowered his colours, but why for the second time in 6 weeks single out the same youngster when his performance actually wasnt that bad. Its fine to say it behind closed doors but not throwing him under the bus like that.

Why isnt simmo calling out cripps or priddis, both completely lowered their colours.

I doubt if gov played the sake game wether the coach would have called him out like that.[/quote]

That is a fair point and agree. Others could easily get commented on in similar ways andmi am not saying Barass is bad - just that assessmemt of performance should be measured. You are 100% correct in saying others could easily be publicly commented on in the same way
keagle
Rookie

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

keagle wrote:
Looking in context, in terms of 1 on 1 yeh barrass lowered his colours, but why for the second time in 6 weeks single out the same youngster when his performance actually wasnt that bad. Its fine to say it behind closed doors but not throwing him under the bus like that.

Barrass was singled out by a journo at the presser. Simpson was asked about Barrass' performance and commented. I'm sure had he been asked about any other player he would have provided an honest assessment. It was a relevant question given his opponent for most of the night managed to get his boot on the ball a few metres from goal in the last minute of the game.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby WCE06 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

Mead wrote:
Total Package wrote:Never fear people. It was Tommy Barrass's fault................. :shock:

Hahaha lord have mercy. Surely that has to be taken out of context, or he was concussed or something or... I don't even..

Simpson has arguably the best young tall defender in the league, who kept us in it for most of the first half with his intercept marks, and the best contested mark in the league up forward gloving them under all sorts of pressure and for some reason we are not dominating games.

Could it possibly be because Priddis and Mitchell keep getting their walking frames tangled together on the way to a contest? Maybe it has something to do with our supposed contested ball players inability to stop the opposition's best midfielder from getting 26 expletive deleted hard ball gets in 3 expletive deleted quarters of football?? Nah it must be our shit young defenders. Good call Simmo. Maybe drop Barrass, that'll sort our midfield out.

Just remember all these criticisms would be equally valid had we narrowly won, which we could well have.

Barrass is a see ball - mark ball kind of defender. This is awesome except his main job is to make sure the makeshift forward standing next to him doesn't kick 5 goals from limited supply to win the match for them. This is the Tommy paradox. Brilliant reader of a football in flight, great hands, but no idea when one out or with a player on the lead.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 am

WCE06 wrote:Barrass is a see ball - mark ball kind of defender. This is awesome except his main job is to make sure the makeshift forward standing next to him doesn't kick 5 goals from limited supply to win the match for them. This is the Tommy paradox. Brilliant reader of a football in flight, great hands, but no idea when one out or with a player on the lead.

That is the point though. With MacKenzie in the side, who is far from a see ball/get ball footballer, why was a move not made?
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 am

farmer joe wrote:
WCE06 wrote:Barrass is a see ball - mark ball kind of defender. This is awesome except his main job is to make sure the makeshift forward standing next to him doesn't kick 5 goals from limited supply to win the match for them. This is the Tommy paradox. Brilliant reader of a football in flight, great hands, but no idea when one out or with a player on the lead.

That is the point though. With MacKenzie in the side, who is far from a see ball/get ball footballer, why was a move not made?

This is one of life's mysteries. Like why on earth did Simpson have Hutchings tagging that red headed diving piece of shit Oliver, while Viney is single-handedly flogging our midfield? Or how can Cripps possibly be anywhere near this team or what is possessing Simpson to play Priddis as a HHF... I'll let that sink in a bit.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby aquila audax on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

This is not necessarily in defence of Barass , but an observation .

In 2015 there were many times Sheppard excelled at reading the play and left his man to attack the ball coming in from a different direction to help out a team mate under pressure , and the understanding that existed amongst the backline players often saw someone else cover the man he had left to get to the ball drop .

On Saturday night , in front of where I was sitting at the Subiaco end of the ground , at least twice he took off ( leaving his opponent free ) to run 70 or more meters up the ground , to a contest he was never going to get to on time . While doing this stupid act , the ball went past him over his head , leaving his direct opponent to gather possession at least 20 meters clear of any Eagle player which in turn allowed Melbourne to create a 2 on 1 situation which resulted in a goal both times .

If it was Barass's opponent who ultimately scored , it was down to Sheppard's stupidity not Barrass's loose checking .

It looked stupid when he did it once . it was absolutely imbecilic when he did it a second time .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm

WCE06 wrote:This is one of life's mysteries. Like why on earth did Simpson have Hutchings tagging that red headed diving piece of shit Oliver, while Viney is single-handedly flogging our midfield? Or how can Cripps possibly be anywhere near this team or what is possessing Simpson to play Priddis as a HHF... I'll let that sink in a bit.

Cripps should be playing at East Perth at the moment, his only attribute is defensive pressure and has proven he has not got the ability to compose himself while having a relatively simple running shot on goal.

Priddis is playing more at HFF to give guys like Sheed and Duggan more midfield time. The problem is Priddis can only play in 1 position, at least Mitchell can play down pack and is an excellent decision maker and good by hand and foot. Essentially Priddis is playing Reddens role and surprise he completely stinks at it.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:29 pm

I've not watched the replay yet and didn't listen to the radio at the game so I can attest to being seriously entertained on Saturday night. I thought the Eagles played hard footy all night though got better towards the end. In the end I thought we were beaten by the better team; better by a whisker. Luck played a part and both teams also turned the ball over as is the way of modern footy; sometimes under pressure sometimes not.

Barrass is a great young player with a very big future and might well turn out to be our best defender since Jackovich; but he is not there yet and has many lessons to learn. I thought a most pivotal lesson that I hope the coaches highlight came halfway through the last quarter when we were still about 17points ahead. Barrass took one off his great marks about center half forward, then instead of playing the numbers and kicking towards the boundary as far as he could - our half forward flank - to a contested part of the field (as per a Malthouse team) he kicked it back inside our defensive 50 on the boundary to a player who had nowhere to go; other than down the line ending up on our half back flank only slightly further along than Barrass had it. Still a contested clogged part of the field but closer to their goals than the first option; result they kicked a goal and the momentum changed. Understand I'm not against kicking backward or sideways when the game demands but this kick was to a dead end and tired players were never going to offer a clean exit. He will learn; as long as someone teaches him.

Anyway good game though the loss was a costly one.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 pm

farmer joe wrote:Partington was good but did take a while to work himself into the game. By the time he did Swans were on their way and were not going to lose. That said, I give him at crack in the seniors. He obviously wants it which is completely different to the waste of a list spot that Tom Lamb has become.

Not to worry we can get rid of this enthusiasm. Just wait till he has been on the list for another year playing excellent footy without reward we can expect his effort to drop off a lot; it will justify having promoted Masten back into the team ahead of him.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:It could have been a perfect opportunity to promote Tom Gorter to the senior team to replace Nelson. How long must we wait to see this excellent young talent make his debut?

To be elevated to replace an injured player, the injured player needs to be placed on the LTI (min 6 week injury). I think after the half way mark of the season, a player can be elevated anyway.

Thanks for noticing. Well half way it is; Tom Gorter step on up.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
farmer joe wrote:Partington was good but did take a while to work himself into the game. By the time he did Swans were on their way and were not going to lose. That said, I give him at crack in the seniors. He obviously wants it which is completely different to the waste of a list spot that Tom Lamb has become.

Not to worry we can get rid of this enthusiasm. Just wait till he has been on the list for another year playing excellent footy without reward we can expect his effort to drop off a lot; it will justify having promoted Masten back into the team ahead of him.

Partington is playing in a team that has won 5 games this year. Playing in an underperforming team makes the players generally look ordinary. He has been a shining light in an ordinary season. The leading goalkicker at EP this year is Lamb with 18. Partington is third with 11. We need to take that into consideration when assessing his performance. If he was at Subiaco he would probably look like a world beater.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:48 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:It could have been a perfect opportunity to promote Tom Gorter to the senior team to replace Nelson. How long must we wait to see this excellent young talent make his debut?

To be elevated to replace an injured player, the injured player needs to be placed on the LTI (min 6 week injury). I think after the half way mark of the season, a player can be elevated anyway.

Thanks for noticing. Well half way it is; Tom Gorter step on up.

I do believe McInnes was the one elevated for the half way point (originally elevated for Lycett, the downgraded when he came back and then elevated again mid-season)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles