Game Focus

Round 13 WCE vs Cats

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Round 13 WCE vs Cats

Postby Hamburger on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Only 3 days away now.
Any thoughts on what the team might look like?
I understand why the bye is scheduled for the WAFL team the same weekend but it does prevent anyone trying to break into the side from having an outstanding game and putting their hand up for a chance this week.
Would be nice to see Lycett come in but suspect he will get a couple more runs in the WAFL.
I have a feeling they will bring Masten back in this week, probably for Duggan, whereas Partington should be given a chance in my view.
Hill and/or LeCras should both be dropped. Hill was good in the dying stages of the game against the Suns but did very little for 3 quarters before that.
LeCras forgot to catch the plane...again. Cripps was also missing in action but is unlikely to be dropped yet.
Would like to see Karpany given another shot, and also Mutimer.
Darling was terrible, but as we have learned...had more important things on his mind and really should have stayed in Perth.
But if he is the focal point against the Cats defence we have no chance.

Down back....does Barass come back at EMc expense?
Is Butler doing enough to hold his place in the side? I don't think so.
Hamburger
Veteran

Re: Round 12 WCE vs Cats

Postby Bigbird on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Pretty hard to guess what may happen. If the selectors stay true to form, probably minimal changes. Also hopeful Partington gets a gig.

Given JK is out I wonder if they may go Petrie, Vardy & Lycett - with a permanent resting ruckman in the F50. Too tall...but it wouldn't surprise me.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Hamburger wrote:Only 3 days away now.
Any thoughts on what the team might look like?
I understand why the bye is scheduled for the WAFL team the same weekend but it does prevent anyone trying to break into the side from having an outstanding game and putting their hand up for a chance this week.
Would be nice to see Lycett come in but suspect he will get a couple more runs in the WAFL.
I have a feeling they will bring Masten back in this week, probably for Duggan, whereas Partington should be given a chance in my view.
Hill and/or LeCras should both be dropped. Hill was good in the dying stages of the game against the Suns but did very little for 3 quarters before that.
LeCras forgot to catch the plane...again. Cripps was also missing in action but is unlikely to be dropped yet.
Would like to see Karpany given another shot, and also Mutimer.
Darling was terrible, but as we have learned...had more important things on his mind and really should have stayed in Perth.
But if he is the focal point against the Cats defence we have no chance.

Down back....does Barass come back at EMc expense?
Is Butler doing enough to hold his place in the side? I don't think so.

Scooter will go to Shuey probably. No Hawkins either - out suspended.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:27 am

I cant foresee any major changes. Maybe Butler out for Wellingham.

How we perform the next fortnight most likely determines what happens with the rest of the season.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

So what's the go with Partington. He missed selection again and Tom Cole gets the nod over him.

What does he have to do to get a game? Does anyone know the issue the coaching staff have with him? Defense? Attitude problem?? Something is not right.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bigbird on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Total Package wrote:So what's the go with Partington. He missed selection again and Tom Cole gets the nod over him.

What does he have to do to get a game? Does anyone know the issue the coaching staff have with him? Defense? Attitude problem?? Something is not right.

Partington should marry into the family of someone on the selection committee. Guaranteed game.

Great that Cole and Barrass are inclusions...we can put Emac at FF, Barass at CHF and stick Cole in the forward pocket.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Subiaco - Round 13 2008
West Coast 1.5 2.9 3.14 5.17 47
Geelong 7.3 13.6 23.10 28.14 182

Nearly 9 years since this ^^ game and our list has turned full circle. I'd say we definitely currently have a worse midfield than the one that served up this shit. Our forward line without Kennedy is also worse but I think our current backline is on par, perhaps a little better as Glass was starting to wobble. I doubt Geelong have the firepower to put us to the sword like they did that day but its sobering when you think of the subsequent shit / flat 9 year period in our history. We haven't learnt anything.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Total Package wrote:So what's the go with Partington. He missed selection again and Tom Cole gets the nod over him.

He can accumulate possessions, earn the ball, can pick up the ball at speed, can deliver the ball, can kick a goal, is enthusiastic. Clearly not our style of player; what we need is another half back flanker who we can then try to turn into a midfielder; not an actual midfielder.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:

He can accumulate possessions, earn the ball, can pick up the ball at speed, can deliver the ball, can kick a goal, is enthusiastic. Clearly not our style of player; what we need is another half back flanker who we can then try to turn into a midfielder; not an actual midfielder.

He is working on his kicking skills and decision making.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

He is working on his kicking skills and decision making.

The decision to go home to SA? Fortunately he was silly enough to sign on for more time while still new at the club. Anyway hopefully he's not working with the same skills coach that has been training with the established players.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Excellent news; Simpson has carried though with his ultimatum to issue another ultimatum.

Simpson has put his group on notice after three losses in a row, saying there will come a time when he has to axe any underperforming regulars.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/eagles ... -s-1737272

It would be interesting to seek out every 'putting on notice' he has issued this year. Starting to look like a very weak leader.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Butler and Hill both omitted to make way for Cole and Barrass.

Finally under performing experienced players dropped plus Masten and Wellingham didn't walk straight back in.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby EvenYearEagles on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Have we gone down two forwards in the last two team selections and not brought in an equivalent forward to replace them?

Hill out this week with both Barrass and Cole coming in.. Neither being a forward. And last game we had Kennedy go out due to injury and no forwards came in to replace him at the time. (Oh wait, Lecras came back in)

I don't see how any of this gives us a better chance of kicking goals?

I would love to see Lamb get a game, and I feel sorry for Partington, not sure what that guy has to do to get a senior game.
EvenYearEagles
Rookie

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Pinion King wrote:Butler and Hill both omitted to make way for Cole and Barrass.

Finally under performing experienced players dropped plus Masten and Wellingham didn't walk straight back in.

Whilst I am happy with these two changes, it isn't enough.
We need to see what Partington, Lamb etc. can do.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Mead on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:19 pm

(Checks midfield)

and, yep, that's one more week wasted.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles