Advanced  

Latest Result

Semi Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 1 Perth Stadium
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus



Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Fat Side wrote:Watson and Rioli are not ready (although it will be interesting to see them run around tomorrow) and, if they are given an opportunity we need to allow them to make mistakes and have the odd poor game without calling for their heads.


I have a feeling Rioli will get a run, as he is a player we desperately need at AFL level. He has the build of Dean rather than Cyril though :lol:
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby keagle on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Really can not believe the negative sentiments towards eric mackenzie. Especially relative to tom barrass (sp?). Sure tom has played well in limited time BUT he has been playing the easiest of roles in football - along side a great intercept mark (Gov) and not really having to man anyone up. As soon as teams started to make him play "one out" (e.g. Port), he has struggled. Imho, it was great to see eric back and doing some good things- he still needs to adjust to the zoning but a fit and firing mackenzie gives a whole lot more than tom. Granted the argument can be made to look to the future and at 28. Eric may just be a bit long in the tooth, but dont think we shiuld underestimate how valuable a very good one on one defender is as well.

Ps - redden will be a bust so long as his arse points to the ground. No real quicknes, poor disposal, laxks body strength, loses his feet to easily and the faults go on. It js fairly easy to rack up stats etc. on poor teams like he was on - i would rather see a "winner" than a stat collector. If he had the goods and mental capacity, he would have shown much much more by now - we were sold a pup by his manger who made the case he would be a good fit for our list management strategy which has clearly not been the cas - bigger issue is just what is our list management strategy, who is runnjng it, and where is it going...!
keagle
Rookie
 
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:https://www.facebook.com/TheBellTowerTimes/posts/768807219992515:0

Had to share


:lol: Thanks. This thread badly needed some lightening up.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Bigbird on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:35 am

Fat Side wrote:Given the investment and trade strategy last year, anything less than a top 4 spot would be a failure. Club expectations were high. A home final finishing 5-6 isn't good enough. If we need 16 wins to make top four, we can only afford to lose one more game. On that, I can't see us winning enough games to get there. We have GWS and the Bulldogs away yet. We won 16 games each of the past two years.

The coaching group needs to sit down over this break and establish a realistic plan for the remainder of the year. If we can't make to top 4, I think the membership would be satisfied if Partington, Rioli, Venables, Karpany and Watson get a run and show something. Unfortunately that may be all we take from the season.

If we are to make top four, we need to turn this around quickly.


Completely agree, top four is gone. While the ladder says it is still very much on the table, the gap between the teams 1st-6th and ourselves is much more significant on field.

We also have the Pies and Saints away. At our best, both games are winnable. We certainly don't look close at the moment though. On current form we maybe 3-4 more for the year. If we get our act together we might turn that into 6-7 wins. We would probably have to do everything right to jag a home final. In a year when we can't match it with the very best, I would rather we sink a little and acknowledge that changes need to made.

I think though despite the frustration coming out on this board (and being echoed by WC fans everywhere) - you have hit the nail on the head. Other than the most one-eyed or delusional supporters (and coaching staff?) we collectively acknowledge that a flag is out of reach for this group. We want a glimpse of the future and that requires some new blood having a crack at this level. I'm not saying anything new though that has not been discussed to death on this forum already.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
User avatar
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:42 pm
Location: Somewhere in time...

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 am

Bigbird wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Given the investment and trade strategy last year, anything less than a top 4 spot would be a failure. Club expectations were high. A home final finishing 5-6 isn't good enough. If we need 16 wins to make top four, we can only afford to lose one more game. On that, I can't see us winning enough games to get there. We have GWS and the Bulldogs away yet. We won 16 games each of the past two years.

The coaching group needs to sit down over this break and establish a realistic plan for the remainder of the year. If we can't make to top 4, I think the membership would be satisfied if Partington, Rioli, Venables, Karpany and Watson get a run and show something. Unfortunately that may be all we take from the season.

If we are to make top four, we need to turn this around quickly.


Completely agree, top four is gone. While the ladder says it is still very much on the table, the gap between the teams 1st-6th and ourselves is much more significant on field.

We also have the Pies and Saints away. At our best, both games are winnable. We certainly don't look close at the moment though. On current form we maybe 3-4 more for the year. If we get our act together we might turn that into 6-7 wins. We would probably have to do everything right to jag a home final. In a year when we can't match it with the very best, I would rather we sink a little and acknowledge that changes need to made.

I think though despite the frustration coming out on this board (and being echoed by WC fans everywhere) - you have hit the nail on the head. Other than the most one-eyed or delusional supporters (and coaching staff?) we collectively acknowledge that a flag is out of reach for this group. We want a glimpse of the future and that requires some new blood having a crack at this level. I'm not saying anything new though that has not been discussed to death on this forum already.


I think you've both nailed it on the head right there. I have been watching the last few games wondering why I haven't been enjoying the football as much this year. Its possibly because I have a lot less time - so getting free to see the game involves more of an investment than it used to. But on reading the above, I actually think its because of the lack of new faces / development. I quite enjoy watching the young kids come through and get their chance, and you see that 1 or 2 things they do and know that they will one day be a regular in the team. Barrass a few years ago, Nelson and Cole last year, Sheed and Duggan etc. Mutimer showed enough this year, but really beyond that there hasn't been anything more this year.

After the hawks game I adjusted my expectations (hopes?) down to finishing in the top 8, with some development in the kids. The frustration is that I want to see more of these 'highlights' now, but we just aren't seeing it. Venebles in particular - from what I see in the WAFL highlights, he has the goods.
CouchPotato
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Shocking game and everything has been said by wise heads so I'll hold my fire on the team.

How about the shocking standard of the broadcast? Channel 7 do a better job of broadcasting WAFL games than that pile of crap dished up by fox. I can't beleive that the AFL would spend all the money they have in creating the Suns - which I support them doing - in order to get a foothold on the Gold Coast, but then allow the broadcasting of the game to be such an utter pile of shit. Who is going to convert to watching AFL and supporting the Suns when that is the quality of product on the TV. People who are not die hard fans will just hit the remote and watch something watchable. If fox are going to only have a minimum number of cameras with amateur camera operators then at least the games should be scheduled when shadow on the ground is not going to completely ruin the amateur broadcast?

I note LeCras played his standard game after being forced to take a plane ride. Please note this selectors. (Well most my fire)
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:How about the shocking standard of the broadcast? Channel 7 do a better job of broadcasting WAFL games than that pile of crap dished up by fox.


Fox commentating as a whole is fucking woeful, not that channel 7 AFL commentating is much better. The quality of commentating has been diluted since 90% of them are ex afl players.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Brickwall on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 am

Barrass in the paper today saying all the right things - back to basics, do the hard work, regain form etc. But inside he must be gutted. One bad game and out. So many kept places over past two seasons and walk up again. Masten gone at last. He was there for three years without having one outstanding game and dozens of crappy no-impact performances. For all his junk possessions last season he didn't snag even one Brownlow vote. It's now Darling's time to deliver. For a guy who has never delivered over four quarters in his career he needs dropping. Lecca will be allowed stay on reputation only. Time for action.
Brickwall
Rookie
 
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Total Package on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 am

Brickwall wrote:Barrass in the paper today saying all the right things - back to basics, do the hard work, regain form etc. But inside he must be gutted. One bad game and out. So many kept places over past two seasons and walk up again. Masten gone at last. He was there for three years without having one outstanding game and dozens of crappy no-impact performances. For all his junk possessions last season he didn't snag even one Brownlow vote. It's now Darling's time to deliver. For a guy who has never delivered over four quarters in his career he needs dropping. Lecca will be allowed stay on reputation only. Time for action.


I have to say Barrass did start to drop off a bit and not just for 1 week. Probably for the last 4 or 5 he was starting to get regularly beaten in 1 on 1 contests and not keeping his feet. He was probably playing just a little too loose off his opponent trying to get intercept marks. No doubt he will be back in the team soon enough.
User avatar
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:I heard Darling became a father yesterday and that his son came 7 weeks early??? Anyone confirm that? Might explain his poor showing today.


It would seem you were correct and it would certainly explain a poor showing, it must have been stressful and a drain on sleep. With this knowledge I would say we are none the wiser on Darlings current ability to play his part in a forward line without JK than we were before the game.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/jack-d ... b88501254z

Hope everything is now going OK for Jack, wife and son.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Mykidsdad wrote:I heard Darling became a father yesterday and that his son came 7 weeks early??? Anyone confirm that? Might explain his poor showing today.


It would seem you were correct and it would certainly explain a poor showing, it must have been stressful and a drain on sleep. With this knowledge I would say we are none the wiser on Darlings current ability to play his part in a forward line without JK than we were before the game.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/jack-d ... b88501254z

Hope everything is now going OK for Jack, wife and son.


Yep, certainly hope all is well.

In hindsight it would have been better if he flew back to be with his family. Physically fine but mentally he would have been off his game, and fair enough. 7 weeks unexpected premature labour would cause massive shock/worry and not being there to support his wife would have made him feel even worse.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby farmer joe on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:24 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Yep, certainly hope all is well.

In hindsight it would have been better if he flew back to be with his family. Physically fine but mentally he would have been off his game, and fair enough. 7 weeks unexpected premature labour would cause massive shock/worry and not being there to support his wife would have made him feel even worse.

One can only wish the Darling's the best. Prem babies arent good but hopefully things will work out ok. Modern medicine can be a great thing. :)
Re why he played? We had no talls over there as emergencies? Good on him for giving it a crack.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:25 pm

I know it wasn't a good game but do we get to vote on EFH POTY? Still coming up as GWS as the active game.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Mr Q on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:50 pm

MrWoollie wrote:I know it wasn't a good game but do we get to vote on EFH POTY? Still coming up as GWS as the active game.


Sure.

Sometimes I need a prod to put the stats in so you can vote 8)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Round 11 - WCE v GCS

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Mykidsdad wrote:I heard Darling became a father yesterday and that his son came 7 weeks early??? Anyone confirm that? Might explain his poor showing today.


It would seem you were correct and it would certainly explain a poor showing, it must have been stressful and a drain on sleep. With this knowledge I would say we are none the wiser on Darlings current ability to play his part in a forward line without JK than we were before the game.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/jack-d ... b88501254z

Hope everything is now going OK for Jack, wife and son.


He was the only KPF we had last week. Leaving him to play against the two KPDs was a mistake. May is hard enough to beat one on one, but to play Darling against May and Leslie was bizarre. He was only provided assistance when Petrie was eventually sent down there. Darling was set up to fail last week. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake next week.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests