West Coast v Brisbane Lions
Game Focus

Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am

After seeing the scum defeat the cats yesterday, we cant go into this game complacent thinking its an easy 4 points.

The Vardy/McInness combination offered a lot more around the ground than any other band aid combo we have seen all year.

this would be a perfect time to rest priddis and send in redden as our main extractor.

Out: priddis
In: partington
Last edited by domo_the_eagle on Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Round 10 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Saw Venables kicked 4 this week against East Freo. He doing enough to sneak in as a half forward/midfield rotation? Not big numbers at all through the season but coming off four goals is probably the time where you would like to debut someone
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 pm

McInnes certainly did enough to persevere with.
It's unlikely to happen but I would be happy to try Venables as suggested, maybe for Hill.

It doesn't look like anyone will come straight back in from the injured list so that won't be an issue for a couple of weeks when Cripps will be back and Rioli might have had a couple of WAFL runs. Don't know if Partington will come back via WAFL or could be used as suggested.

Redden has started to show a bit of his 'extraction man' capability. His biggest problem is that that role is already taken. Can we afford Priddis/Redden in the same team?
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 14, 2017 4:55 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Redden has started to show a bit of his 'extraction man' capability. His biggest problem is that that role is already taken. Can we afford Priddis/Redden in the same team?

Hence my suggestion to 'rest' priddis.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Don't know if Partington will come back via WAFL or could be used as suggested.

Partington played for EP. Racked up a lazy 28 touches.

Jetta only had 16 so he won't be back. He had that big 39 game and hasn't done jack since.

Providing we had no injuries I think we will go unchanged.

Mutimer is starting to settle in now. A couple more weeks and Venables might start to push. Would love to see Partington though.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Round 9, not 10.
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Postby Streaker on Sun May 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Out : Butler
IN : Venables

Time Venables was exposed to the higher level, think we can cover Butler without losing much down back.

B : Wellingham - Barrass - Yeo
HB : Hurn - McGovern - Sheppard
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bigbird on Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Streaker wrote:Out : Butler

Time Venables was exposed to the higher level, think we can cover Butler without losing much down back.

Would that have an impact on being able to free up Yeo to play through the middle? Or potentially Hurn/Shep pushing up the ground. I can't see Butler being dropped, despite not setting the world on fire. Hill had an average game.

I'm all for continuing with Duggan, very promising player. Despite putting on some KGs in the off season though he still seems undersize and get's pushed off the ball too easily. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped down the track for another youngster to get a crack.

I think any changes this week will be on balance.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon May 15, 2017 7:14 am

Tough game against the bombers. If we get the 4 points here, I'll be surprised.

Essendon were good against the Cats and Daniher is in the form of his life. Merrett will be hard to stop too.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 am

Pinion King wrote:
MrWoollie wrote:Don't know if Partington will come back via WAFL or could be used as suggested.

Partington played for EP. Racked up a lazy 28 touches.

Jetta only had 16 so he won't be back. He had that big 39 game and hasn't done jack since.

Providing we had no injuries I think we will go unchanged.

Mutimer is starting to settle in now. A couple more weeks and Venables might start to push. Would love to see Partington though.

As soon as Cripps is ready (could be this week), Mutimer will go out. He looks very good and our depth is improving significantly. We have Partington on the verge of selection and Venables showing some real class at EP. With Petrie and Cripps ready to return within the next week or so, things are looking healthier.

I noticed Mackenzie played a forward/ruck role on the weekend. It is good that we value him to the extent that, although the game has gone past him as a KPD, we are looking at ways that he can be of greater value to the team.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 am

Our team defence has really clicked into gear over the past few weeks. I wouldn't be messing with it at this stage unless there is a specific match up that requires a change.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am

Bigbird wrote:Hill had an average game.

He spent more time in the backline on Friday.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby aquila audax on Mon May 15, 2017 10:11 am

It seems to me that the way to beat Essendon is not so much , who we pick , so long as those that are selected give 100% for 100 mins.
Essendon don't appear to have the match fitness to play a full game , and if we have any periods of the game where we switch off ( which we seem to do too often ) it will allow them to find a way to get up .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am

aquila audax wrote:It seems to me that the way to beat Essendon is not so much , who we pick , so long as those that are selected give 100% for 100 mins.
Essendon don't appear to have the match fitness to play a full game , and if we have any periods of the game where we switch off ( which we seem to do too often ) it will allow them to find a way to get up .

We need to watch Green. He used to kill us when he played at Brisbane.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

Bigbird wrote:

Would that have an impact on being able to free up Yeo to play through the middle? Or potentially Hurn/Shep pushing up the ground. I can't see Butler being dropped, despite not setting the world on fire. Hill had an average game.

I'm all for continuing with Duggan, very promising player. Despite putting on some KGs in the off season though he still seems undersize and get's pushed off the ball too easily. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped down the track for another youngster to get a crack.

I think any changes this week will be on balance.

Very minimal impact if any. Butler is only used as an outlet kick under extreme circumstances. He doesn't win his own ball, doesn't take any contested marks and only 9 disposals for the game. Mitchell is dropping back in defence for the majority of the game as is Masten. Mutimer could use his pace down back and Nelson will probably take his position after the bye. I just think it's important to get game time into Venables now rather than leaving him in the WAFL and waiting for an injury.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles