West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Game Focus

Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 9 WCE V SCUM Sun 21st May 1110hrs

Postby wce1293 on Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am

The Eagles flew over on Friday arriving about 5pm. I can't see why they would get there that early. Why sleep in a hotel bed and be away from your family when you can be at home another day? It's only a 3 hour flight and 2 hours difference.
The club said last week they stay on Perth time. Why? In their heads they would have been playing a game of footy before noon. Also, the players spend the whole flight walking around and/or standing up because its too uncomfortable to sit. The Eagles should think about booking out half the plane so they have more room or look at private charter flights.

We went over for this game and on Saturday we watched Sydney vs St Kilda (horribly scrappy and error ridden game) smugly believing both of those teams are shit and have no skills compared to the Eagles.....only to sit through that on Sunday :shock:
I was embarrassed.
We sat in the third tier so could see the setups - we were too slow in every facet of the game. I'm starting to think Lecras has semi-retired. He's out fishing all the time and just playing footy to make as much money as he can, while he can. Needs to get serious.
wce1293
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 am

I keep reading elsewhere that the players with kids fly a day later than most of the group when we play in the East. Streaker, can you or someone who knows more than me confirm that?

If it is correct it is a pretty dumb decision in my view. Those of us in the "real world" don't get that type of concession and it really does split the group up. The kids in the group need to be around the older heads as much as possible and travelling time is an ideal time for that to happen.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Mark Williams has a plan
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl-pr ... 772f585b85
AFL premiership coach Mark Williams has suggested a radical solution to West Coast’s travel woes, urging the club to conduct an extended familiarisation session in Melbourne during their bye..
“We did it when I was at Port Adelaide and it worked,” Williams told SEN radio.
“We went on trams, to coffee shops, up the Rialto Tower, Chapel Street…you name it, we did it.
“I wanted the players to feel very much at home and be familiar and love the feel of it.
“We even got on the MCG, went to the National Sports Gallery, the Long Room and even had some time having shots on the ground.
“All of these things create familiarity of being at the ground and mentally alter the player’s feelings about being at the MCG.”

There's our answer! Go to some fkn coffee shops and tram rides! Genius!!

LOL I would be taking no notice of what "Choke-o" says. They went year after year choking in Melbourne and in finals. He managed to steal a flag because they got lucky and met an ageing Brisbane side playing their 4th grand final in a row and on their way to Shitsville. That Brisbane 2004 team was shot.

The answer isn't in having lattes in Melbourne or changing ground sizes. It's in talent that we simply do not have. Mental application is an ability that not all players have. We have guys in the team that are downhill skiers. Great when things are going their way... not so great when things are not.

This is why I don't get the Jack Darling hate. To me he is one of the few players we have where the tougher it is for us, the better he plays. He is capable of winning a contest where others can't... and cops way too much shit that he doesn't deserve. Yeah he needs to improve his goal kicking but he is no orphan there. At least he gets the ball. We have far too many players that when the going gets tough they get going in their pants.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mead on Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Some cheerful news for a change.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/nic-na ... b88484026z

Two observations about that footage-

- he's clearly making a push to be back this year, otherwise there would be no reason for him to be engaging in contact drills and doing that kind of movement on the knee.
- he looks a fair way off match fitness. Maybe its just the not very flattering fluoro vest but I reckon he will need to shed some kgs before he runs onto the park.

Anyway just great to see him properly back on the comeback trail.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Mead wrote:Some cheerful news for a change.

How about - we're not playing that great, and are still fourth on the ladder in an even season where every club seems to have as many problems as answers.*

Certainly there's no May premiers this year.

*Except Brisbane. They've got *way* more problems than answers.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby gus3232 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Q, that level of logical thinking has no place here. Give yourself a bloody ban!

You are spot on though. Plenty of room for improvement, we had a solid three weeks before the horror show against Essendon.

The league is so unpredictable right now, it's nearly impossible to consistently tip winners and just about every team has had some very rough patches of form.

What did that great man Mick say back in the day....the ox is slow or something?
Oh noooo....the front door's exploded!!!
gus3232
Regular

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 pm

wce1293 wrote:The Eagles flew over on Friday arriving about 5pm. I can't see why they would get there that early. Why sleep in a hotel bed and be away from your family when you can be at home another day? It's only a 3 hour flight and 2 hours difference.
The club said last week they stay on Perth time. Why? In their heads they would have been playing a game of footy before noon. Also, the players spend the whole flight walking around and/or standing up because its too uncomfortable to sit. The Eagles should think about booking out half the plane so they have more room or look at private charter flights.

We went over for this game and on Saturday we watched Sydney vs St Kilda (horribly scrappy and error ridden game) smugly believing both of those teams are shit and have no skills compared to the Eagles.....only to sit through that on Sunday :shock:
I was embarrassed.
We sat in the third tier so could see the setups - we were too slow in every facet of the game. I'm starting to think Lecras has semi-retired. He's out fishing all the time and just playing footy to make as much money as he can, while he can. Needs to get serious.

Why don't they buy a plane and split the cost with the dockers? That'll be awesome.

Anyway, I was at the game and it appears that the team lost its confidence and let the scum run away with it. The nine frees to zip for most of the first didn't help. The missed shots on goal sucked the life out of theteam.

The thing I noticed about players like daniher and fantasia was that they were young confident and having a good time. They tried things because they thought they would succeed and they did. We need an injection of youthful exuberance into the group.

The other thing thatannoyed was the lack of crummers when the ball was brought to ground. Where was cripps? Brought back too soon.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles