Round 16 Preview: West Coast v North Melbourne
Matt Quinn • 09 Jul 2016

JLT Series WCE V GWS

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: JLT Series WCE V GWS

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 am

Mead wrote:The only thing which gives me any hope for the league is in a free agent market, plenty of GWS's talent will walk for more opportunities elsewhere.

That said, it is terrifying how good they will be over the next few years. They are a top 4 team which based on their youth can expect to solidly improve each year for the next 4-5 years. They will be a contender and possibly premiers this year, and then take the next step and be utterly unbeatable until 2020.

The drums are beating for GWS to lose the Riverina area of NSW to select academy players. I can see that happening...perhaps as soon as this year. If GWS win the premiership (and I tip them to do just that), other clubs (especially Collingwood) will pressure the AFL to remove the Riverina zone.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (The Silk Solution) Rioli & Paddy (Irish) Brophy
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 am

Mead wrote:The only thing which gives me any hope for the league is in a free agent market, plenty of GWS's talent will walk for more opportunities elsewhere.

I thought this too, and whilst GWS and GC seem to be dropping a few players via trade who want out (Hoskin-Elliot, Boyd, Treloar, O'Meara etc), it seems that this player flow is primarily going to the clubs in the east. The fact that a WA boy in O'Meara chose Melbourne over Perth is a concern that, yes, the expansion clubs will have talent diluted somewhat, but not to the benefit of us.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Tony Evans Rules wrote:

I thought this too, and whilst GWS and GC seem to be dropping a few players via trade who want out (Hoskin-Elliot, Boyd, Treloar, O'Meara etc), it seems that this player flow is primarily going to the clubs in the east. The fact that a WA boy in O'Meara chose Melbourne over Perth is a concern that, yes, the expansion clubs will have talent diluted somewhat, but not to the benefit of us.

Lobb didn't want to come home either and chose to stay
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:17 am

Tony Evans Rules wrote:

I think the AFL got it wrong with GWS. For some reason they believed they would have a harder time than GC, and gave them extra benefits.
Reality was that with an extra year to start lining up their ducks, and the massive population benefit NSW has, they got it easier.
Then throw in the extras they got, plus Sheedy, and they have made out like bandits.

Its going to be interesting to see how Bennell and McCarthy perform for Freo.
We've all been sitting around waiting for our WA boys to flock home, and it just hasn't happened. They're all making far too much money, and are either hooked on the GC "lifestyle" or are looking forward to premierships with GWS.

The bogus "academy" concessions given to the "expansion" states, especially NSW, are simply diabolical. And as if they weren't bad enough, the AFL further assists them under the guise of "growing the sport".
No kid ever rides past a golf-course and thinks "yeah, that's exciting." But they get pushed into it and persist because their families know (and the kids eventually cotton on) that therein lies the path to millions. The AFL funds programs to get the best kids into AFL, and then allows GWS and Sydney to cherry-pick any with promise.
I think the only good news on that front is that eventually people like Eddy will wear them down. But not before those teams dominate the next decade.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Fat Side wrote:

That said, it is terrifying how good they will be over the next few years. They are a top 4 team which based on their youth can expect to solidly improve each year for the next 4-5 years. They will be a contender and possibly premiers this year, and then take the next step and be utterly unbeatable until 2020.

The drums are beating for GWS to lose the Riverina area of NSW to select academy players. I can see that happening...perhaps as soon as this year. If GWS win the premiership (and I tip them to do just that), other clubs (especially Collingwood) will pressure the AFL to remove the Riverina zone.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/g ... y-overhaul

The AFL has cut the Giants' access to potential top-five pick Jarrod Brander and highly rated midfielder Charlie Spargo after cutting its access to players from the Albury/Murray region.

This came a bit earlier than I thought, but it was always coming. Eddie and his Melbourne cartel have struck again.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/g ... y-overhaul

The AFL has cut the Giants' access to potential top-five pick Jarrod Brander and highly rated midfielder Charlie Spargo after cutting its access to players from the Albury/Murray region.

This came a bit earlier than I thought, but it was always coming. Eddie and his Melbourne cartel have struck again.

As well as that I think that the AFL management may be starting to realise what a juggernaut they have created with GWS.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles