West Coast v Brisbane Lions
Game Focus

Next Season: 2017

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Next Season: 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:For starters, there's no way we signed Mitchell to a 4 year playing contract, that would be both completely unnecessary and unbelievably stupid.

I believe it has been confirmed mitchell as a 4 year contract, although the playing/coaching component isnt known at this stage. it may end up 25/75, 50/50 or 75/25.

Im kind of optimistic going into 2017, With no natanui for the whole year it forces the midfield to fight for their own ball. Mitchell and priddis feeding it out to gaff and jetta. Redden should be a good link up player aswell. Shuey can do both. we have the bookends, just need the midfield to step it up.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:For starters, there's no way we signed Mitchell to a 4 year playing contract, that would be both completely unnecessary and unbelievably stupid.

Im kind of optimistic going into 2017, With no natanui for the whole year it forces the midfield to fight for their own ball. Mitchell and priddis feeding it out to gaff and jetta. Redden should be a good link up player aswell. Shuey can do both. we have the bookends, just need the midfield to step it up.

Very true. This year I think will set us up for Naitanui's return where our mids will be so much less reliant on him at ground level. Our mids (and systems) should improve out of sight this year.

Sheed will be really important this year. We missed his spread last year. As you mention, with Redden fit and firing, we should be well placed. Jetta will be a bonus if he can string some quality performances together.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:55 am

Fat Side wrote: Jetta will be a bonus if he can string some quality performances together.

Numerous times i saw jetta on his own in perfect position, boundary side to receive the ball but his teammates went inboard. Easy to see why he had a 'down' year, his role is not to go and get his own ball its run and carry, so his own game relies on his teammates ability to win possession and pass him the pill. Now hes had a full year to train with our squad and understanding his teammates playing styles, his teammates undertand his style. Hopefully this year we see priddis/mitchell pick jetta out without even looking at direction.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:45 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote: Jetta will be a bonus if he can string some quality performances together.

Numerous times i saw jetta on his own in perfect position, boundary side to receive the ball but his teammates went inboard. Easy to see why he had a 'down' year, his role is not to go and get his own ball its run and carry, so his own game relies on his teammates ability to win possession and pass him the pill. Now hes had a full year to train with our squad and understanding his teammates playing styles, his teammates undertand his style. Hopefully this year we see priddis/mitchell pick jetta out without even looking at direction.

That's a really good point. A few weeks ago I think Shuey mentioned that they needed to understand the role Jetta plays better. He didn't believe they utilised him enough. He virtually made the same point.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Frankie on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 am

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

That's a really good point. A few weeks ago I think Shuey mentioned that they needed to understand the role Jetta plays better. He didn't believe they utilised him enough. He virtually made the same point.

Jetta could be a key to WC's improvement this season. With his speed and elite kicking, he doesn't need many possessions to really hurt the opposition. But he does need to raise his disposal numbers from last year. He also has the ability to improve his scoring potency, which would take some pressure off our forwards. I agree, however, that the degree of his upside will depend partly on an improved synergy with his team mates.

I know that some posters last year were skeptical of his commitment to WC, with the implication that he was just using the club so that he could re-settle in Perth. I don't know about that, but, in any case, he will need to improve, or his place on the list will be questioned.
Frankie
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:20 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:

I saw exactly the same. Even when he made space he either wasn't seen or wasn't used. I could see him getting frustrated and then he was criticised for not doing enough.
Better used his impact could be multiplied by factors way beyond his possession count.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:28 pm

The JLT Series starts tomorrow with Collingwood v Essendon. Looking forward to watching footy again.

Watching our guys running around on Saturday will be great. Teams not out yet.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I probably say this every year, but AFL in February is insane
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:49 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-22/e ... ship-group

Hurn to lead us again in 2017

Dynamic midfielder Luke Shuey has been elevated to co-vice captain alongside dual Coleman medallist Josh Kennedy.

Star duo Jeremy McGovern and Andrew Gaff have also been added to the leadership group with Eric Mackenzie, who was the club's best and fairest in 2014 before requiring a knee reconstruction early the following year, the only omission from last year's group.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 am

Somewhat underwhelmed with Hurn as captain, a bit of a safe choice.

Not good signs for Emac.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:13 am

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-c ... 3485d29f3e

SPEARHEAD Josh Kennedy believes back-up ruck recruits Drew Petrie and Nathan Vardy can seriously impact West Coast’s 2017 season after both made sound contributions in the Eagles’ 55-point JLT Community Series demolition of Fremantle on Saturday.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 am

So glad football is around the corner again - always a great time of year where anything could happen!

Looking towards round 1, we come up against a very different North Melbourne team - with large scale changes made to their list over the off season. With no Petrie, Dal Santo, Firrito, Brent Harvey and Daniel Wells traded to Collingwood, it will be a much younger team that we face at Etihad.

Add to that list:

- Cunnington will not be playing after accepting a ban: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-28/key-kanga-port-defender-offered-onegame-ban
- Tagger Ben Jacobs has busted his foot again so won't be playing
- Fwd Ben Brown hasn't played a pre-season game after knee surgery, so whether he's available is a question.

They still have Waite in the forward line and some reasonable midfielders, but we should be more than a match for them. All our games historically we have beaten them on the outside, and I see no additions to their list which will change that.

Exciting times!
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby DALBY on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am

CouchPotato wrote:So glad football is around the corner again - always a great time of year where anything could happen!

Looking towards round 1, we come up against a very different North Melbourne team - with large scale changes made to their list over the off season. With no Petrie, Dal Santo, Firrito, Brent Harvey and Daniel Wells traded to Collingwood, it will be a much younger team that we face at Etihad.

Add to that list:

- Cunnington will not be playing after accepting a ban: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-28/key-kanga-port-defender-offered-onegame-ban
- Fwd Ben Brown hasn't played a pre-season game after knee surgery, so whether he's available is a question.

They still have Waite in the forward line and some reasonable midfielders, but we should be more than a match for them. All our games historically we have beaten them on the outside, and I see no additions to their list which will change that.

Exciting times!

Our record at Etihad is horrendous, Higgins, Hrovat, Tarrant and Macmillan and their new recruit Preuss all look in fine form. Goldstein should murder our rucks also. If we get the 4 points in round 1,it will be a great achievement.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 am

DALBY wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:So glad football is around the corner again - always a great time of year where anything could happen!

Add to that list:

Exciting times!

Our record at Etihad is horrendous, Higgins, Hrovat, Tarrant and Macmillan and their new recruit Preuss all look in fine form. Goldstein should murder our rucks also. If we get the 4 points in round 1,it will be a great achievement.

Our record at Etihad can't be much worse than our records at the MCG of late. My biggest concern is the likelihood of injury on the surface there - particularly bad in round 1 when players are particularly fatigued.

I'm not saying they will be a walkover, but with so many experienced outs they should struggle against us. Particularly in the midfield and backline where we should be on top. I agree though, Higgins, Waite and Preuss make a reasonable forward line, with a fit and firing Goldstein as well, but hopefully it's not in there often enough to impact the result.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 am

DALBY wrote:

Add to that list:

Exciting times!

I expect us to win. Pencil it in.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles