Round 19 Preview: Collingwood v West Coast
Matt Quinn • 29 Jul 2016

Next Season: 2017

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Next Season: 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 am

Fat Side wrote:I expect us to win. Pencil it in.

Same, Eagles have to win against bottom 6 sides interstate and Norf will be one of those in the mix. Thinking a game against north will be a challenge is pessimistic.

The only away games that i think SHOULD be a challenge are:

Hawks - Only due to the mental demons, although the first month will give us a better idea of how the hawks will go this year.
Western Bulldogs
GWS

With the remaining away games, some will be tougher than others but if we are 10-12 on the premiership clock than it should be a 70/30 chance of winning those tougher matches.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am

I'm trying to be realistic, more than a one eyed supporter. I always look at the negatives,but yes I'll be tipping us by a goal. :D
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote:I expect us to win. Pencil it in.

Same, Eagles have to win against bottom 6 sides interstate and Norf will be one of those in the mix. Thinking a game against north will be a challenge is pessimistic.

The only away games that i think SHOULD be a challenge are:

Hawks - Only due to the mental demons, although the first month will give us a better idea of how the hawks will go this year.
Western Bulldogs
GWS

With the remaining away games, some will be tougher than others but if we are 10-12 on the premiership clock than it should be a 70/30 chance of winning those tougher matches.

Yep. If we win all 12 games at home, we only need a further four or five away wins to make top four. Five or six to make top 2.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (The Silk Solution) Rioli & Paddy (Irish) Brophy
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby HH on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm

We want to move to Perth Stadium.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:00 pm

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/we ... fb37186c9a

The Eagles this morning named a 27-man squad, which will be cut but at least two come Thursday, with ruckman Jon Giles and defenders Will Schofield and Tom Cole added to the team that thrashed Fremantle in Geraldton
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Fat Side wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-name-near-fullstrength-squad-for-final-preseason-game-against-melbourne/news-story/b4e1800f767b320cee55dcfb37186c9a

The Eagles this morning named a 27-man squad, which will be cut but at least two come Thursday, with ruckman Jon Giles and defenders Will Schofield and Tom Cole added to the team that thrashed Fremantle in Geraldton

Also looks like Melbourne have named a pretty strong squad. They have been playing very well so far this series (from what little I've seen), so will be interesting to see how we compete - particularly in the midfield against a quality ruckman like Gawn.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 am

Good game last night at Subiaco. Kennedy slotted another 5, Vardy was good and Masten seemed to be very precise by foot.

Good warm up. Now let's move onto the real deal.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mead on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:57 am

Vardy has got a lot of positive writeups in the media as a result of last nights game, but it was a mixed bag imo.

He had a decent game around the ground and took some strong marks but for the second week running he got absolutely obliterated in the ruck. In the ruck contests Gawn threw him around like a rag doll, picked out his midfielders with ease and basically hit it wherever he felt like hitting it. On a day where our midfield got a heap of the ball, Melbourne still smashed us in the clearances 38-27. The reason we won this game is because in spite of Melbourne getting a major head start in the engine room, our ball movement, structure and forward options were far better when we did get it.

Vardy clearly has a big future as a player, but at the moment he is roadkill in the actual ruck contests. The team desperately needs Lycett or failing that Giles to be taking 75% of the ruck contests.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am

Mead wrote:Vardy has got a lot of positive writeups in the media as a result of last nights game, but it was a mixed bag imo.

He had a decent game around the ground and took some strong marks but for the second week running he got absolutely obliterated in the ruck. In the ruck contests Gawn threw him around like a rag doll, picked out his midfielders with ease and basically hit it wherever he felt like hitting it. On a day where our midfield got a heap of the ball, Melbourne still smashed us in the clearances 38-27. The reason we won this game is because in spite of Melbourne getting a major head start in the engine room, our ball movement, structure and forward options were far better when we did get it.

Vardy clearly has a big future as a player, but at the moment he is roadkill in the actual ruck contests. The team desperately needs Lycett or failing that Giles to be taking 75% of the ruck contests.

Lycett is the key. He is playing Round 1 for East Perth and is some chance to be named Round 1 for senior side?
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 am

farmer joe wrote:
Mead wrote:Vardy has got a lot of positive writeups in the media as a result of last nights game, but it was a mixed bag imo.

Lycett is the key. He is playing Round 1 for East Perth and is some chance to be named Round 1 for senior side?

Vardy is a forward who has recently converted to the ruck. He is only there to compete in the contests. Gawn wasn't AA by fluke. Hopefully Lycett is back sooner rather than later and I think Vardy will play with Lycett changing in the forward line.

Mackenzie was a lot better last night. It appeared that the penny dropped and he wasn't looking lost like he has recently.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 am

I really didn't understand the write-ups, they didn't gel with what I saw.
Vardy is very raw. He shows promise, and that's about it. Glad to have him, and if he can stay healthy he'll be a great addition, but I don't see him in the best 22 any time soon.
Petrie? Nope. We need Giles or Lycett in the ruck, period.
E-Mac? The article raved about his one-on-one duels, which have never been the problem. His disposal is still crap, and he still gets lost when zoning off. The game has passed him by, and he still hasn't caught up.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mead on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:11 am

I can live with Vardy as a backup ruckman, quite apart from anything else he is a pretty good long term investment as Kennedy ages. But we really really cannot run a Vardy/Petrie ruck combination against halfway decent ruck/midfields combos. Mumford and the GWS midfield will absolutely maim us for example.

One other disappointing thing last night was Jetta- after a couple of good games away from subi, he was back on struggle street last night. Watching at the game what struck me is his positioning at subi is all wrong- he has a bad habit of hovering in no-mans land about 20 meters ahead of the contest inside the opposition zone- too close to find enough space or be a target for a kick, and too far for a quick handball. He either needs to get in close for the hand ball receive, or sprint long into space.

One not disappointing thing last night is Mitchell- it's not just that he is getting lots of it, he is so aggressive by hand that he virtually forces our outside mids to run and attack because they know the quick handball will be out in front of them. That in turn creates fast forward entries to Kennedy on the lead. As long as mitchell stays fit, Shuey, Gaff, Wellington and Masten are going to have a big year and Kennedy is going to get a lot of easy marks on the lead.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Mead wrote:I can live with Vardy as a backup ruckman, quite apart from anything else he is a pretty good long term investment as Kennedy ages. But we really really cannot run a Vardy/Petrie ruck combination against halfway decent ruck/midfields combos. Mumford and the GWS midfield will absolutely maim us for example.
More than happy to have Vardy in the squad. Has a lot of potential, could be a future Ruck or KPF.
Whether he's ok as a 2nd ruck right now, I can't really say for sure. I'd rather him than Petrie because at least its an investment in the future.
But we definitely need something more in the #1 spot. Giles of Lycett, hopefully one of them will be up to the task.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mead wrote:I can live with Vardy as a backup ruckman, quite apart from anything else he is a pretty good long term investment as Kennedy ages. But we really really cannot run a Vardy/Petrie ruck combination against halfway decent ruck/midfields combos. Mumford and the GWS midfield will absolutely maim us for example.
More than happy to have Vardy in the squad. Has a lot of potential, could be a future Ruck or KPF.
Whether he's ok as a 2nd ruck right now, I can't really say for sure. I'd rather him than Petrie because at least its an investment in the future.
But we definitely need something more in the #1 spot. Giles of Lycett, hopefully one of them will be up to the task.

I agree. I think if Lycett and/or Giles is fit one of them will play and Vardy will be the back-up fwd ruck (depending on opposition match ups)
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mead on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:50 pm

And.. Lycett just left the field injured in the WAFL.

Holy moly.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles