West Coast v Brisbane Lions
Game Focus

Next Season: 2017

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Next Season: 2017

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Ok, the club was never going to take a "rebuilding" approach to next year, but it appears exactly the opposite, they are in full-on gung-ho Premiership Mode.

But for the glaring absence of Naitanui, it makes some sense.
We have a bunch of young mids who should be improving with every game, and we've added another who's probably good enough to debut in 2017. Priddis won't be around too much longer, Shuey is hitting his peak, Gaff is not far behind, whilst we have the best spine the club has seen in 20 years.
We've added Mitchell, whom once he gets settled and up to speed, will have his best impact towards the end of 2017.
Willie Rioli is a mature SF who could have an impact quickly.
And obviously they've picked up Petrie. Whatever they have planned for him, carrying the drinks or whatever, presumably he will be gone from our playing list by this time next year, so they again have focussed on 2017.
They've also retained Butler, did not want to trade away McKenzie, and have held onto Tunbridge and McInnes, again two guys who will be gone by this time next year.

It should be an interesting season.
Simmo did something wonderful with this group in 2015, I hope they can recapture that spark.
Be nice to say goodbye to Subi with a PF win.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Next Season: 2017

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Nor should we be rebuilding when it's taken so long to get here. Overall I like our drafting this year, we should have plenty of options for all positions if the players in the East Perth team step up and put the pressure on like they should. I can only think of three players who I'd play regardless of form so game on. It will then be up to the match committee and coaches to stop playing favourites and drop players who are under preforming - or can't play away - and promote players putting their hand up with quality WAFL displays.

Eagles v GWS grand final is ours for the taking.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:32 am

The question is; where is the improvement coming from. We need to examine the younger developing players to see if they are capable of having an impact next year. To push into the top echelon we need improvement from at least 4-5 of the following: Duggan, Nelson, Lamb, Cole, Partington, Hutchings, Sheed, Barrass, McInnes and Karpany.

Of those lacking form in 2016 the following need to find form: Yeo, Jetta, Redden, Mackenzie and LeCras.

There is plenty of room for improvement and we have the capacity to significantly improve our output. Obviously injury will (and has been) be a factor.

The form and fitness of Lycett, Giles and Vardy will be critical and can Rioli have an impact? The inclusion of Mitchell could end up being the master stroke.

There is a lot to be excited about.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:17 am

Lycett & Darling also needs to improve, not that they had a bad year, just not great ones. i also think Gov can take the next step up also.

I think Hutchings, masten, wellingham have peaked.

We need the same level of output next year from Shuey, Priddis, Kennedy, Gaff & Butler.

I think there is alot more to be excited about going into 2017. I think the club has found the right balance in getting experienced players and also picking up young talent in the draft.

Naturally there will be players that will slide (like lecca this year) but hopefully we have more players improving than sliding.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Frankie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:12 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Naturally there will be players that will slide (like lecca this year) but hopefully we have more players improving than sliding.

That balance between players that slide and those that improve is clearly the key to having a better season. I think there is a lot more scope for improvement, but then it all has to be negatively balanced out by the loss of Naitanui. So the capacity of Lycett, Giles and Vardy to step up will be critical.

The addition of Mitchell, both as a player and a leader, could be massive, particularly with Priddis's output gradually declining. Mitchell has also shown that he doesn't need to play alongside a dominant ruckman to have a big impact, which contrasts with the tendency of our midfield group to rely heavily on Naitanui. Hopefully the likes of Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Sheed, Masten, Duggan, etc will benefit considerably from Mitchell's presence.

In addition to Mitchell, the biggest scope for improvement will possibly come from three midfielders who for various reasons (injury, adjustment to a new club/game style, confidence, mental issues or whatever) had a below par 2016. These players are Sheed, Redden and Jetta. If these three can get their shit together in 2017, our midfield will benefit enormously, with far greater depth and class - as opposed to the over-reliance on Shuey, Gaff and Priddis that was characteristic of our 2016 campaign. Add Mitchell into this mix, along with improved output from Yeo and Duggan, and our midfield could be transformed into one of the best in the comp. I'm a believer in the dictum that a strong midfield is the most important ingredient in a premiership campaign, and so much will depend on the players I have mentioned stepping up in 2017.
Frankie
Veteran

Postby WCE06 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:57 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:And obviously they've picked up Petrie. Whatever they have planned for him, carrying the drinks or whatever,

Petrie a good chance to start round one in the ruck partnering either Vardy or Giles
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 am

Frankie wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Naturally there will be players that will slide (like lecca this year) but hopefully we have more players improving than sliding.

That balance between players that slide and those that improve is clearly the key to having a better season. I think there is a lot more scope for improvement, but then it all has to be negatively balanced out by the loss of Naitanui. So the capacity of Lycett, Giles and Vardy to step up will be critical.

Therein lies our biggest strength and our biggest weakness. Our midfield relies too much on natanui superior ruck work and follow up. He truly is a unique beast. With him out next year it forces our collective midfield to actually come up with various midfield strategies.

i think we will see improvement in the middle - strategy wise for sure.

Adding Natanui to that mix, in time will be a bonus. I hope he will have the chance to partner up with Mitchell.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Frankie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:15 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Frankie wrote:

Therein lies our biggest strength and our biggest weakness. Our midfield relies too much on natanui superior ruck work and follow up. He truly is a unique beast. With him out next year it forces our collective midfield to actually come up with various midfield strategies.

i think we will see improvement in the middle - strategy wise for sure.

Adding Natanui to that mix, in time will be a bonus. I hope he will have the chance to partner up with Mitchell.

The loss of Naitanui will have that one silver lining - to force our midfielders to make better use of strategies that don't rely on having the ball served up on a plate. This is one area where hopefully the addition of Mitchell will help significantly.
Frankie
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 am

Lycett officially ruled out till mid season.

Vardy, Giles and Petrie running our ruck. Oh boy.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 am

To me Yeo is the critical one who needs to step up. Plays with the ego of a Fyfe or Dangerfield and has delivered very little. Hopefully he has a big preseason, parties less during the season and can go into the midfield on a very regular basis.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:09 pm

farmer joe wrote:To me Yeo is the critical one who needs to step up. Plays with the ego of a Fyfe or Dangerfield and has delivered very little. Hopefully he has a big preseason, parties less during the season and can go into the midfield on a very regular basis.

Ive heard of the comparisons to Fyfe but not Danger. Personally i cant see it - too inconsistent.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Pinion King wrote:Lycett officially ruled out till mid season.

Vardy, Giles and Petrie running our ruck. Oh boy.

Not surprised by this at all.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Quite a few guys had comparatively quiet 2016's after promising more in 2015. If those guys can get back on track, it could be very exciting.
Redden and Jetta were a bust, but after a year in our system we will hopefully see something really exciting.

We have a lot of promising young talent, but unfortunately you can only have 22 guys on the day, but I'm hoping this at least creates pressure and options.
Last season we were often struggling to fill the last couple of spots, we'd try guys, they'd struggle, back to the WAFL try somebody else, etc. So I'm hoping nest season we'll be spoilt for choice.

I'm hoping Masten gets pushed out of the 22. Not because I wish him ill, but because I'm hoping a bunch of guys are demanding inclusion.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE06 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Need improvement out of this part of the squad. Duggan, McKenzie, Redden, Jetta, Sheed, Cole, Nelson, Tunbridge, Darling, Wellingham, Yeo, Lecras, Cripps....

No regression from- Mitchell, Priddis, Kennedy, McGovern, Barrass, Gaff, Sheppard

A left fielder (or more) to emerge, Rioli for example to come in and kill it.

Giles, Petrie and Vardy to not get murdered
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:58 pm

New numbers:
#1 - Mitchell
#18 - Venables
#19 - Vardy
#21 - Petrie
#35 - Rotham
#40 - Gorter
#42 - Bayok
#44 - Rioli
#45 - Waterman
#47 - Watson

I didn't realised we actually added 10 players to our list.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles