West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Next Season: 2017

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Next Season: 2017

Postby Fat Side on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 am

We should be contenders for at least the next two years.

Mitchell and Petrie won't last, but I think Priddis is being offered an extension past 2017. The core of our players (and key players) are good for at least another three years (JK, EMac, Hurn etc are 28-29). Over 30 are Priddis, LeCras and Butler. The rest are younger. To say we only have 2017 to win a premiership is a cop out and let's the club off the hook.

The main issue for me is the lack of high draft picks. We will suffer for it if we don't win the premiership in the next couple of years. We need access to the high end talent (Picks 1-5). I feel we should trade out one or two experienced players to get ourselves into that top echelon if we don't succeed this year. We simply are not getting access to the Bontempellis, Boyds and Petraccas while others are. They will quickly move past us. We don't want to do a Fremantle and finish near the bottom to get the access.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 am

Fat Side wrote:The main issue for me is the lack of high draft picks. We will suffer for it if we don't win the premiership in the next couple of years. We need access to the high end talent (Picks 1-5). I feel we should trade out one or two experienced players to get ourselves into that top echelon if we don't succeed this year. We simply are not getting access to the Bontempellis, Boyds and Petraccas while others are. They will quickly move past us. We don't want to do a Fremantle and finish near the bottom to get the access.

Who would you put up for trade? You wouldn't trade any young promising players. You would have to look to trade players 26+ who may be worth something to another club, say Wellingham, schofield, shuey, redden, sheppard, Natanui, Lycett. Only one or two of those players would command a high pick straight out. Other older players are too old to be worth anything or have no trade currency at the moment.

I personally would trade Natanui if it meant a guarantee of picking up a gun young player.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:06 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote:The main issue for me is the lack of high draft picks. We will suffer for it if we don't win the premiership in the next couple of years. We need access to the high end talent (Picks 1-5). I feel we should trade out one or two experienced players to get ourselves into that top echelon if we don't succeed this year. We simply are not getting access to the Bontempellis, Boyds and Petraccas while others are. They will quickly move past us. We don't want to do a Fremantle and finish near the bottom to get the access.

Who would you put up for trade? You wouldn't trade any young promising players. You would have to look to trade players 26+ who may be worth something to another club, say Wellingham, schofield, shuey, redden, sheppard, Natanui, Lycett. Only one or two of those players would command a high pick straight out. Other older players are too old to be worth anything or have no trade currency at the moment.

I personally would trade Natanui if it meant a guarantee of picking up a gun young player.

Possibly trade Mackenzie, Hurn, Schofield or any player on the table that is 28+ with a high value. Unless we get an offer we can't refuse (Naitanui for 2 first round picks, Gaff/Darling for a top 10 pick) otherwise I wouldn't be trading a young gun unless they request a trade. That way we can trade a couple of first rounders for a top 5 pick. There will be clubs who believe they are on the brink of a premiership that need to fill a hole with an experienced player. I
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 am

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/brownlow-medallist-sam-mitchell-set-for-west-coast-leadership-role/news-story/352a91bfb638b477f1256860f6391c0b

COACH Adam Simpson has ruled out star veteran Sam Mitchell becoming West Coast captain in his first season at the club, all but confirming defender Shannon Hurn would remain in the top job

I am a tad dissapointed in the last sentence, i dont see any onfield leadership from Hurn. I guess there is no standout replacement so why rock the boat.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/brownlow-medallist-sam-mitchell-set-for-west-coast-leadership-role/news-story/352a91bfb638b477f1256860f6391c0b

COACH Adam Simpson has ruled out star veteran Sam Mitchell becoming West Coast captain in his first season at the club, all but confirming defender Shannon Hurn would remain in the top job

I am a tad dissapointed in the last sentence, i dont see any onfield leadership from Hurn. I guess there is no standout replacement so why rock the boat.

I don't think Hurn is a bad captain. Seems to be respected by the players who more importantly vote him into the role. Only other person I could think of would be Shuey.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/brownlow-medallist-sam-mitchell-set-for-west-coast-leadership-role/news-story/352a91bfb638b477f1256860f6391c0b

Mitchell absolutely must be in the leadership group (it's half the reason for his recruitment). He also absolutely must not be captain. No player should be captain of a club when they first walk in the door (with the obvious exception of the inaugural captain of a new club, like Glendinning was).

I can't see any reason that you'd replace Hurn at this stage. I'd be looking at someone from the younger group in 2-3 years time.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:06 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:

The simple fact is that some point in the future, we will suck. If you want to play finals every year, you have to get exceedingly good at picking up bargains, perhaps accept that you're not going to dominate every category, pay overs for free-agents, and trade for decent draft picks when required. (Of course having a COLA and a bogus "academy" that allows you to cherry pick talent is also helpful.)
Point is, that's not the way the Eagles operate.
So, whether its "the Judge" years, or 2008~2010, we'll end up sucking and getting good draft picks. Just hope when that happens we pick up champions
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

The simple fact is that some point in the future, we will suck. If you want to play finals every year, you have to get exceedingly good at picking up bargains, perhaps accept that you're not going to dominate every category, pay overs for free-agents, and trade for decent draft picks when required. (Of course having a COLA and a bogus "academy" that allows you to cherry pick talent is also helpful.)
Point is, that's not the way the Eagles operate.
So, whether its "the Judge" years, or 2008~2010, we'll end up sucking and getting good draft picks. Just hope when that happens we pick up champions

And win premierships.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:02 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-31/e ... year-deals

A great start to 2017. Get these things out of the way early to avoid distractions. I'm rapt that these guys have signed on. The future of the club.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-31/eagles-swoop-to-lock-away-bookends-to-multiyear-deals

A great start to 2017. Get these things out of the way early to avoid distractions. I'm rapt that these guys have signed on. The future of the club.

Its been revealed mitchell signed a 4 year deal. No fixed playing/coaching either. I reckon if we get 2 years out of mitchell as a player will be a huge win.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-31/eagles-swoop-to-lock-away-bookends-to-multiyear-deals

Its been revealed mitchell signed a 4 year deal. No fixed playing/coaching either. I reckon if we get 2 years out of mitchell as a player will be a huge win.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:

From what I hear, I really hope Petrie signs on next year as a coach too. His attitude has been great since coming over.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Darling and Barrass sign contract extensions, Love Tom, both are the future of this club, great news.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:43 am

DALBY wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

From what I hear, I really hope Petrie signs on next year as a coach too. His attitude has been great since coming over.

I think that was the intention. I'm not sure he would have relocated just for one year.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:

Have you got any sauce to go with that?

For starters, there's no way we signed Mitchell to a 4 year playing contract, that would be both completely unnecessary and unbelievably stupid.
At the time of the deal, it was reported that he signed a one year deal. AND that the Hawks were paying part of it.
It was also reported that he had signed a coaching contract, believed to be "at least 2 years."
This gels with what the AFL said, that they were going to review his coaching contract to ensure it was inline with market salaries for assistants. (Ie to make sure we weren't fiddling the salary cap.)

It's possible the overall deal was "4 years" but I would think it would be separate contracts for playing and coaching?

There was a big stink over Buddy's contract, which was a playing contract that allowed him to retire early and still receive the salary as a coach.
I can't think of any reason to give Mitchell a longer playing contract, everybody understands that he has come here to transition into a coaching role.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles