Game Focus

New Midfield Coach

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: New Midfield Coach

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:It's time to have a bit more respect for Suma. He is, after all, a two time Eagles premiership player, and would likely have got a Coleman or two if he wasn't a FF in that particular time.

I suspect that he's quite a lot smarter than he appears on the surface. Unfortunately for him the surface has probably stopped him getting any further than an assistant.

As a player, Suma is a champion and a legend. Yes, some forget just how good he was, and how important he was during those glorious years.

But not every great player becomes a great coach.

Certainly he could have benefited from some public speaking lessons.

Whether he is any good as a coach, I would have to leave judgement up to those who have worked with him and interviewed him for the many senior roles...

Firstly, I am not interested in how Suma speaks. I am far more interested in what he has to say. In that regard he is very knowledgeable and astute.

Secondly, his CV is very impressive. He has been coaching (albeit as an assistant) for 16 years at the highest level. That is impressive in anyone's language considering all those that have tried and failed. He coached South Fremantle (as senior coach) to a GF before going to the WCE. He played a key role in the WCE rising from easybeats to premiers. He then went to Freo and has played a significant role in their most successful era.

Any club could do worse than appoint Suma as their senior coach.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:It's time to have a bit more respect for Suma. He is, after all, a two time Eagles premiership player, and would likely have got a Coleman or two if he wasn't a FF in that particular time.

I suspect that he's quite a lot smarter than he appears on the surface. Unfortunately for him the surface has probably stopped him getting any further than an assistant.

As a player, Suma is a champion and a legend. Yes, some forget just how good he was, and how important he was during those glorious years.

Whether he is any good as a coach, I would have to leave judgement up to those who have worked with him and interviewed him for the many senior roles...

Firstly, I am not interested in how Suma speaks. I am far more interested in what he has to say. In that regard he is very knowledgeable and astute.

Secondly, his CV is very impressive. He has been coaching (albeit as an assistant) for 16 years at the highest level. That is impressive in anyone's language considering all those that have tried and failed. He coached South Fremantle (as senior coach) to a GF before going to the WCE. He played a key role in the WCE rising from easybeats to premiers. He then went to Freo and has played a significant role in their most successful era.

And yet... nobody employs him. People talk. Certain players don't like his Malthouse/Pagan/Barassi intense style.

As for his CV.... well I interview people all the time for IT roles in my team. What I find is their CV might look impressive... but when you ring their former employers or talk to people that knew them... the real story comes out.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Total Package wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

And yet... nobody employs him. People talk. Certain players don't like his Malthouse/Pagan/Barassi intense style.

As for his CV.... well I interview people all the time for IT roles in my team. What I find is their CV might look impressive... but when you ring their former employers or talk to people that knew them... the real story comes out.

Yeh but how disgruntled are the former employees are at the person for seeking another job?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Fat Side wrote:Firstly, I am not interested in how Suma speaks. I am far more interested in what he has to say. In that regard he is very knowledgeable and astute.

Yes it's an outstanding CV. No one wanted Suma to be dropped from the Eagles team more than me before he finally retired from the Eagles - played on a couple of years too long IMO - however the next year watching him play for South Freo on the TV I had to completely reassess my opinion of him as he demonstrated on field leadership and direction equal to the best I have seen. Plus his own ability read the play in a slightly slower paced game showed he had a superb understanding of the game I had not given him credit for. When it comes to coaching success has followed him however his reluctance to move away from Perth as an assistant coach sooner has probably killed his chances thus far at becoming a head coach at an AFL club. Hopefully he takes the opportunity that seems to be coming his way at Adelaide and who knows what the future will hold; good luck to him.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

Firstly, I am not interested in how Suma speaks.

Then you'd be about the only person in Australia.
Effective Communication is probably the number one requirement for a Senior Coach.
Fat Side wrote: In that regard he is very knowledgeable and astute.

Says who?
Fat Side wrote:Secondly, his CV is very impressive. He has been coaching (albeit as an assistant) for 16 years at the highest level. That is impressive in anyone's language

He got the job at the Eagles because he was Woosha's mate. He couldn't make the forwardline work, and so was put in charge of the midfield on the basis that he couldn't possibly stuff it up. In the post CBD era he was increasingly sidelined, to the point where he was replaced in the coaches box by Daniher, and ultimately he left because things weren't going to improve for him.
Freo hired him because they thought that gave them a victory over the Eagles, and again he was progressively sidelined to the point where he jumped nanoseconds before being pushed.
Fat Side wrote:Any club could do worse than appoint Suma as their senior coach.
ROFL
Suma has interviewed for every senior role in the past 15 years.
Now sure, some of those interviewers may have been idiots, dingos, or nepotists, but for the most part I'd argue they were better equipped to judge his credentials than you or I.

It's again rather telling that his best prospects of future employment again rest with his mates Pyke and Woosha.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Brickwall on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 pm

The Eagles should swap Masten for Michael Barlow, who is more what the Eagles need. Barlow has two good seasons left and brings aggression, ball-winning muscle and better scoring ability. He's also an excellent tagger. Ok, distribution can be flakey but he won't run around like a itchy Shih Tzu and rely on dodgy stats. In the spirit of cross-town bonding, throw in Redden and maybe pick up Ballantyne too. Both these guys have a bit of menace about them and would make good two-season additions in push for flag.
Brickwall
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 am

Brickwall wrote:The Eagles should swap Masten for Michael Barlow, who is more what the Eagles need. Barlow has two good seasons left and brings aggression, ball-winning muscle and better scoring ability. He's also an excellent tagger. Ok, distribution can be flakey but he won't run around like a itchy Shih Tzu and rely on dodgy stats. In the spirit of cross-town bonding, throw in Redden and maybe pick up Ballantyne too. Both these guys have a bit of menace about them and would make good two-season additions in push for flag.

Wrong topic buddy.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Brickwall on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:53 am

You're right, but it needs CPR, buddy.
Brickwall
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am

Cox has been named the new midfield coach apparently.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Pinion King wrote:Cox has been named the new midfield coach apparently.

Far out eagles far out

where is the swearing thread :roll: :roll:
The will to win...we have lost it.......maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:18 pm

penrith eagle wrote:

Far out eagles far out

I'm happy with that. It's a good forwards coach we really need.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:

Far out eagles far out

They did mention that they were going to promote someone within ranks. So is Coxy now a Ruck/mid coach? An ex ruckman being a coach kind of makes sense, because as a ruckmen he would know where he would want his mids running too or be positioned at stoppages.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:03 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:Far out eagles far out

They did mention that they were going to promote someone within ranks. So is Coxy now a Ruck/mid coach? An ex ruckman being a coach kind of makes sense, because as a ruckmen he would know where he would want his mids running too or be positioned at stoppages.

Well it's got him out of the stoppages coach.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Please oh please, can someone teach them where to position for a handball receive, (not to be next to or right close to the path of the opposition), and to deliver quick and low to forwards. Kennedy will get > 100, if so.

And odd thing...when Naitanui is acting as midfielder he nearly always gets his handball under pressure to a team mate in a useful position. Almost uncanny. Is it because they expect it and position for it?
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Eliot Mess wrote:Please oh please, can someone teach them where to position for a handball receive, (not to be next to or right close to the path of the opposition), and to deliver quick and low to forwards. Kennedy will get > 100, if so.

And odd thing...when Naitanui is acting as midfielder he nearly always gets his handball under pressure to a team mate in a useful position. Almost uncanny. Is it because they expect it and position for it?

One reason I'd like to see Darling in the midfield more often so the other players can start expecting his long, accurate and powerful handballs instead of being surprised. Build a game plan around that type of play.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles