West coast reserves.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: West coast reserves.

Postby Fat Side on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Streaker wrote:After todays game Lamb has no trade value whatsoever. Delist prospect.

In Lamb's defence, the incessant bombing into the forward line was deplorable. The loss of McInnes early left lamb as the only focal point and he was fodder for Collins and Silvagni. He was constantly shepherded out of the contest. Lamb did get frustrated and that probably isn't surprising.

There has always been a question mark over Lamb's consistency, and IIRC it as attitudinal.

He is 20 years of age. He is going to be inconsistent. Duggan and Nelson are inconsistent. He needs time. If we lose him and draft another player of his size, we have stepped back two years. I think we should retain him if we can.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 pm

McGinnity has signed on for 3 years at East Perth.
He'll be a welcome addition, particularly with some of our older guys retiring. But I am surprised it was allowed.
Two of the rules are supposed to be that players are returned to their WAFL clubs when de-listed from the Eagles, AND that East Perth are not able to recruit externally.

His dad Kevin played for East Perth in the 70's (can't say I recall him) so maybe there's a "Father-Son" exception???
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:McGinnity has signed on for 3 years at East Perth.
He'll be a welcome addition, particularly with some of our older guys retiring. But I am surprised it was allowed.
Two of the rules are supposed to be that players are returned to their WAFL clubs when de-listed from the Eagles, AND that East Perth are not able to recruit externally.

His dad Kevin played for East Perth in the 70's (can't say I recall him) so maybe there's a "Father-Son" exception???

McGinnity "retired" from AFL.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Hamburger on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Fat Side wrote:
He is 20 years of age. He is going to be inconsistent. Duggan and Nelson are inconsistent. He needs time. If we lose him and draft another player of his size, we have stepped back two years. I think we should retain him if we can.

Lamb has signed on for 2017.....will be an important year for him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-29/e ... ill-in-mix
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:Another blow to WAFL fairness as Rotham is lost to West Perth and gained by East Perth.

I disagree with your premise on Rotham.
He was always going to be lost to West Perth, no-matter who drafted him. Just as East Perth were always going to get new AFL-listed players, nomatter where they came from.
Reality is that East Perth only get replacements for players that were de-listed.

The issue I would question is how we were able to retain McGinnity?
IMHO East Perth should not be banned from recruiting from outside WA, but we should not be allowed to keep players like McGinnity.
(Although there's also a huge Restraint of Trade issue to consider.)

Voice of Reason wrote:Stupid alignment system - already discredited by last year's Peel Dockers tainted premiership.

Yeah, the stupid thing is that when the AFL team fails to make the finals (as we did in 2013 & 14) the WAFL team makes the GF. I think there should be a tougher limit on AFL listed players playing in WAFL finals.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Yeah, the stupid thing is that when the AFL team fails to make the finals (as we did in 2013 & 14) the WAFL team makes the GF. I think there should be a tougher limit on AFL listed players playing in WAFL finals.

Agree. I assume there is a minimum number of WAFL games played to qualify for finals but need help of what that number is.
I would like to see it at at least 10.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:18 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Yeah, the stupid thing is that when the AFL team fails to make the finals (as we did in 2013 & 14) the WAFL team makes the GF. I think there should be a tougher limit on AFL listed players playing in WAFL finals.

Agree. I assume there is a minimum number of WAFL games played to qualify for finals but need help of what that number is.
I would like to see it at at least 10.

Probably need some kind of composite rule:
If the AFL team is still in the finals, and needs to get WAFL games into their reserve players, they can do so.
If not, then tough restrictions apply.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Voice of Reason on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Yep, with Rotham I am just sulking really - I don't like seeing WP players lining up against us for EP.

I am surprised McGinnity is allowed but presumably he attracts a lot of points and EP can fit him under the points cap. I know his dad, Kevin, who has been a member at both clubs for the last few years. I've even offered to get him in the bar at Joondalup where the zealotry of security is only outweighed by the deplorable quality of the beer and service.

As for Peel, we beat them on their ground in the rain by 7 goals in the season, then by Finals they have a new team- ridiculous. I think it is 5 games but am not sure. My objection is the damage to home-grown players, which is worse for EP as Peel have never been able to retain players much past Colts stage anyway (no work in Mandurah). In a semi-professional competition, having too many full-time athletes ruins it. I'd cap the number of Afl games too and/or the number of AFL-listed players, not just have a minimum number of WAFL games in the year.
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:I am surprised McGinnity is allowed but presumably he attracts a lot of points and EP can fit him under the points cap. I know his dad, Kevin, who has been a member at both clubs for the last few years. I've even offered to get him in the bar at Joondalup where the zealotry of security is only outweighed by the deplorable quality of the beer and service.

As for Peel, we beat them on their ground in the rain by 7 goals in the season, then by Finals they have a new team- ridiculous. I think it is 5 games but am not sure. My objection is the damage to home-grown players, which is worse for EP as Peel have never been able to retain players much past Colts stage anyway (no work in Mandurah). In a semi-professional competition, having too many full-time athletes ruins it. I'd cap the number of Afl games too and/or the number of AFL-listed players, not just have a minimum number of WAFL games in the year.

Yeah, its sad to see home-grown EP boys leave because they're not getting enough opportunities, but I guess that was always going to to the price of the alignment.

I support the idea of the Eagles and the Muppets having a reserve environment where they can call the shots, but that should not be allowed to impact finals as it does. As I mentioned, blind Freddy can see what's happening. When the Eagles didn't make the finals, EP fielded a super squad, and that's exactly what happened with Peal this year. NOBODY wants to see premierships won that way.
I would LOVE to see the Royals win another flag, but not if all the regulars are in the ressies, and the league team is a bunch of Eagles blow-ins.

I think they should make the first criteria a -ve. If you play more than say 10 AFL games in a season, you are ineligible for WAFL finals.
Then with the exception, that if the Eagles are still in the finals, and want to get games into somebody, they can play anyone they want.

There is an interesting rumour floating around WAFL circles:
That the Port/ Muppets alignment will become permanent, with Peel changing their name and Colours,
and that the Eagles will seek to enter their OWN reserves team, co-located at Lathlain park, taking the total number to 10, and eliminating the bye.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:There is an interesting rumour floating around WAFL circles:
That the Port/ Muppets alignment will become permanent, with Peel changing their name and Colours,
and that the Eagles will seek to enter their OWN reserves team, co-located at Lathlain park, taking the total number to 10, and eliminating the bye.

I was speaking with my brother and apparently both alignments have been extended until 2022.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Haha, Masten just as bad for EP.

Redden, Partington and Lamb up and about early.
Last edited by Pinion King on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Rioli 1 kick 1 goal, sharked nicely off the pack.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:21 pm

I still don't understand how Lamb didn't get a game last week for us... anyway. He has looked good.

Rioli on limited time looks good too. Could have had 3 goals... shanked one and should have been given a handball into an open goal and wasn't.

Partington and Venables look good.

Masten getting lots of the ball but again... he is all out on his own without a defender anywhere near him. Cheap possessions and turning the ball over too.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:44 pm

FFS! Rioli done a hammy.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame