West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby Mr Q on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 am

WCE06 wrote:Labor is fucking pathetic restricting crowd numbers to the Perth Scorchers. Playing politics with the stadium opening. Crowd restrictions, restrictions on full strength beer, restrictions on Uber, restrictions on public drop offs.. doing everything possible to show the stadium in the worst possible light. They need to get the fuck over it. They had a chance to do something themselves and failed miserably.

The original study, done years ago, specifically mentioned public transport issues as a reason to not build the stadium at Burswood in the first place. There was a $20million study. And if you look through this very thread, I've been harping on this very point the whole bloody time - in fact, from before Burswood was even chosen. The PTA have been quite forthright that they can't provide sufficient transport for weeknight events at this location.

This is the inevitable result.

If the footbridge doesn't eventually resolve the issue (and that 14,000 people will leave to catch buses or use non-existant parking in East Perth seems a bit pie in the sky to me), then we may find that we can't have *any* weeknight events in Perth.

Blaming Labor would be like blaming Woosha for the Essendon drug saga.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

Mr Q wrote:
WCE06 wrote:Labor is fucking pathetic restricting crowd numbers to the Perth Scorchers. Playing politics with the stadium opening. Crowd restrictions, restrictions on full strength beer, restrictions on Uber, restrictions on public drop offs.. doing everything possible to show the stadium in the worst possible light. They need to get the fuck over it. They had a chance to do something themselves and failed miserably.

The original study, done years ago, specifically mentioned public transport issues as a reason to not build the stadium at Burswood in the first place. There was a $20million study. And if you look through this very thread, I've been harping on this very point the whole bloody time - in fact, from before Burswood was even chosen. The PTA have been quite forthright that they can't provide sufficient transport for weeknight events at this location.

If the footbridge doesn't eventually resolve the issue (and that 14,000 people will leave to catch buses or use non-existant parking in East Perth seems a bit pie in the sky to me), then we may find that we can't have *any* weeknight events in Perth.

Isnt the PTA saying that the issue they have is directly attributable to them not having enough drivers? That has nothing to do with where the stadium is located.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

Isnt the PTA saying that the issue they have is directly attributable to them not having enough drivers? That has nothing to do with where the stadium is located.

I think they're saying that, on a week night, moving large numbers to the stadium while also moving commuters is too much without a functioning foot bridge. Transperth mentioned yesterday afternoon that they requested the numbers be capped at 40,000 for that reason.

This is all a storm in a tea cup. It's unlikely that the Scorchers will get a crowd of more than 40000 anyway. Besides, unless a BBL semi-final is held next week, the stadium will be open with the (sold out) ODI on 28/1 (Sunday). The crap that some are coming out with that the first event at the stadium should be a sellout, it will be.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Serious question - do you have any experience in crowd and traffic management?
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Fat Side wrote:
farmer joe wrote:Isnt the PTA saying that the issue they have is directly attributable to them not having enough drivers? That has nothing to do with where the stadium is located.

I think they're saying that, on a week night, moving large numbers to the stadium while also moving commuters is too much without a functioning foot bridge. Transperth mentioned yesterday afternoon that they requested the numbers be capped at 40,000 for that reason.

This is all a storm in a tea cup. It's unlikely that the Scorchers will get a crowd of more than 40000 anyway. Besides, unless a BBL semi-final is held next week, the stadium will be open with the (sold out) ODI on 28/1 (Sunday). The crap that some are coming out with that the first event at the stadium should be a sellout, it will be.

Would we even get more than 30,000 on a weeknight?

I would assume that most of the railcars would be in use just for normal peak hour service. They wouldnt have the additional fleet to handle peak hour along with a dedicated event.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

farmer joe wrote:Isnt the PTA saying that the issue they have is directly attributable to them not having enough drivers? That has nothing to do with where the stadium is located.

There is one huge difference between this stadium and the recommended Subiaco stadium that the Libs killed off.

The Subi stadium is (relatively) near the main Joondalup-Mandurah line. The equivalent of Leederville station is the huge missing hole in the transport equation - thought I doubt that Emperor Colin had caught a train to anything in thirty years. This meant that people on that line could catch the scheduled peak hour trains to Leederville for the footy, which were extremely frequent. At the very least, people coming from the north didn't have to change trains to get to Subiaco if they were prepared for a short walk.

Now we suddenly have (with no through trains), passengers from *both* Joondalup and Mandurah lines having to change in the city for the shuttles. Meaning at least a 30% jump in required capacity for them, over a more complex route than the old City <-> West Leederville shuttle.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Mr Q wrote:

There is one huge difference between this stadium and the recommended Subiaco stadium that the Libs killed off.

The Subi stadium is (relatively) near the main Joondalup-Mandurah line. The equivalent of Leederville station is the huge missing hole in the transport equation - thought I doubt that Emperor Colin had caught a train to anything in thirty years. This meant that people on that line could catch the scheduled peak hour trains to Leederville for the footy, which were extremely frequent. At the very least, people coming from the north didn't have to change trains to get to Subiaco if they were prepared for a short walk.

Now we suddenly have (with no through trains), passengers from *both* Joondalup and Mandurah lines having to change in the city for the shuttles. Meaning at least a 30% jump in required capacity for them, over a more complex route than the old City <-> West Leederville shuttle.

I think they have upgraded East Perth station hoping that many heading towards Midland will walk there.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm

The big difference between the Labor proposed stadium is that Colin - like him or not - actually build the fucking thing instead of talking around it for years and years. And McGowan is having a sad about it. I notice since my original post lots of prominent people have started asked why cap the crowd numbers as well, and as well they might. As I sit here on L11 in East Perth I reckon I could walk to the joint in about 15 minutes bridge or no bridge.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm

WCE06 wrote:The big difference between the Labor proposed stadium is that Colin - like him or not - actually build the fucking thing instead of talking around it for years and years. And McGowan is having a sad about it. I notice since my original post lots of prominent people have started asked why cap the crowd numbers as well, and as well they might. As I sit here on L11 in East Perth I reckon I could walk to the joint in about 15 minutes bridge or no bridge.

The Labor Stadium was ready to start when CB got elected. It was expected to be completed for the 2014 season. CB shelved it for the best part of two years before commencing any planning for it.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby ruckroving on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

WCE06 wrote:The big difference between the Labor proposed stadium is that Colin - like him or not - actually build the fucking thing instead of talking around it for years and years. And McGowan is having a sad about it.

It's amazing how conservatives are happy to reinvent history to have a dig at the Labor Party. I'm not sure why they bother. Just give credit where credit is due. Alan Carpenter was ready to rebuild at Subiaco before Colin Barnett was elected and decided to change everything, no matter the cost. We are paying at least a billion dollars more than we need have and all the access issues that were predicted for Burswood have come to pass and are no closer to being solved.
For years in opposition the Liberals fought bitterly against building the railway to Mandurah. But once they got in they wouldn't hear a word against it. If labor hadn't built the line, just imagine the even greater mess Perth traffic would be in right now.
ruckroving
Regular

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pm

ruckroving wrote:It's amazing how conservatives are happy to reinvent history to have a dig at the Labor Party.

Not unique to the conservatives or to Australia.
Politicians of all colours (party colour, not skin) have done it for generations.

On a different issue. Why have they not considered a hybrid grass for the surface? Something like Desso Grassmaster or AirFibr. In Europe virtually every major soccer and rugby stadium uses a version of it. I'm not talking crap municipal stadiums but places like Wembley, Twickenham, Millenium (Cardiff), Old Trafford, Stade de France. In fact, I am struggling to find a 50K plus capacity stadium that doesn't use it. Even hot climate, unroofed stadia such as Barcelona Nou Camp uses it.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Apparently there was a meeting today about the cap and trying to get it lifted. Not sure the result.

Do the aussie sports allow the use of artificial/hybrid turf?
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Pinion King wrote:Do the aussie sports allow the use of artificial/hybrid turf?

There is a huge difference between artificial (not allowed in many pro leagues) and hybrid. When hybrid is mentioned many people automatically think of that old artificial stuff they used on hockey pitches that is basically green plastic and quite horrible. That is totally wrong. Hybrid can be thought of as mainly grass with a binding element of fibre. Some even use a cork element as a softening agent.

As an example of what it can do. The 'new' Wembley had huge problems with its surface when it re-opened. The grass needed replacing 10 times in the first 3 years. In 2010 the FA even budgeted to replace the grass up to 75 times in the next 25 years. (see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -each.html) Or 65 times in 16 years if you believe the guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ace-relaid
They then made the decision to go hybrid in time for the 2012 Olympics and in the 5 years since have not replaced the surface once.

I would argue that if hybrid is good enough for physical sports like Rugby then it should be ok for AFL.

As to whether it is allowed? Don't know. But there has to be a differentiation between artificial and hybrid.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am

If Hobart beat the Scorchers this Saturday, this entire issue will disappear.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 am

Mr Q wrote:

Yeh, I get all that. I have heard it before and understand it. But....the PTA is saying the issue at the moment is ONLY a lack of drivers. Well FMD...sort that out by getting some temps or contract help. The role of government should be to find solutions. Not to run away, spit the dummy and hide in the corner saying it is all too hard? If this is truly how government and the public service operates in Australia we are seriously f..ked.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles