9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby Fat Side on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:29 am

HH wrote:If the WAFC was a big corporate like McDonalds or Starbucks, I suspect a lot of the views defending them, would be quite different. There would be calls to sack management for their absolute mismanagement, incompetence and inability to run a profitable business outside of a duopoly with cozy arrangements for their greatest cost (rent).

But because the WAFC is supposedly the guardian of WA grassroots footy, they are now miraculously justified to rely on their very own incompetence, reject a $100m compensation deal and still use members as leverage under the catch cry that they're defending our interests, to get an even better deal. Or, if an even better deal can't be extracted, we continue to rot in Subi so that the good guys at the WAFC didn't have to pass on the costs to us.

Oh and VFL where's your promised funding in all of this?

Any funds handed to the WAFC (WCE/Frem) will be banked and supporters/members will never see a cent of it. The key problem for the WAFC is the capacity of the stadium means they will need to offer better value memberships instead of using supporters/members as cash cows. FFS what other club charges supporters to be in the memberships queue? Is disgraceful.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:52 am

HH wrote:If the WAFC was a big corporate like McDonalds or Starbucks, I suspect a lot of the views defending them, would be quite different. There would be calls to sack management for their absolute mismanagement, incompetence and inability to run a profitable business outside of a duopoly with cozy arrangements for their greatest cost (rent).

But because the WAFC is supposedly the guardian of WA grassroots footy, they are now miraculously justified to rely on their very own incompetence, reject a $100m compensation deal and still use members as leverage under the catch cry that they're defending our interests, to get an even better deal. Or, if an even better deal can't be extracted, we continue to rot in Subi so that the good guys at the WAFC didn't have to pass on the costs to us.

Oh and VFL where's your promised funding in all of this?

The problem I have with the WAFC is that they were gifted Subi Oval and its lease. They, the footy commission, have not put a cent into the ground and any upgrades have come from Federal and State funds. Subi is a disgrace to this state and it being rundown is what has really funded the WAFC, its hierarchy (and jobs for the boys) and the rest of its expenditure.
The government has called their bluff. About bloody time I would argue. If the AFL takes over footy in this state, and the WAFC disappears, then I, as a WCE member, couldn't give a rats. It has been a long time coming but it also has been inevitable.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:28 pm

The man is reading my mind (or my posts):

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/time-f ... b88380388z
We want to move to Perth Stadium.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 pm

HH wrote:The man is reading my mind (or my posts):

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/time-f ... b88380388z

It's one thing to say to the AFL need to cough up some money for the stadium... but there is a very good reason they put in $5 million to the Adelaide Oval redevelopment and have not given a cent to Perth Stadium.

The WAFC refuse to hand over the license to the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle... their cash cows that they have been leeching off.

The SANFL handed over their license to the Crows and Port 3 years ago... and were paid handsomely for it.. including a $45 million AFL payment for grass roots footy.

Meanwhile... we over in WA rely on our 2 AFL clubs to not only feed the bloated WAFC... but to use that money for grassroots footy... whilst charging both clubs ridiculous amounts of rent for Subiaco Oval... rent they are about to lose.

So basically.. fuck the WAFC now. AFL are under no obligation to give them a single cent... until they relinquish the 2 AFL licenses they have.... which both AFL clubs here are desperate to have happen.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:20 pm

But because the WAFC is supposedly the guardian of WA grassroots footy, they are now miraculously justified to rely on their very own incompetence,

No, you just don't get it.

The WAFC OWNS the Eagles. And that's not going to change. End of story.

I would be dancing if every single incompetent, over-paid toady in the employ of the WAFC (including their puppets running the Eagles) was sacked tomorrow. But again, aint going to happen.
Nor is the WAFC going to absorb one cent of any increased costs.

Those increased costs will be born 100% by members and ticket-buying fans.

Eventually enough people will die, that I would get seats at Subi, And whilst it is a shithole, I can always byo cushion, thermos, and pickle sarnies.
Buggered if I am going to pay twice as much (as the already outrageous prices) to sit in the back-row of the new stadium, with no allocated seating, no access to GF tickets, and an appalling transport clusterfuck.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Total Package wrote:The WAFC refuse to hand over the license to the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle... their cash cows that they have been leeching off.

The SANFL handed over their license to the Crows and Port 3 years ago... and were paid handsomely for it..

But that's not really correct.

Port has always been a basket case. Several years ago they were completely bust, and the SNAFL had to step in and bail them out. Effectively for years after that, the Crows were subsidising Port. Eventually the SNAFL decided to get rid of them altogether, but that threatened to piss all over Andy's parade (and his TV deal) so the AFL agreed to step. Giving up the Crows, was part of the deal. The Crows effectively bought themselves out from under the SNAFL for $12M, and the AFL agreed to prop up the Bogans, plus chip in the money to return to Adelaide Oval.

What the AFL has proposed to the WAFC is laughable by comparison.
Both their teams are cash cows now, they don't need to sell.
Once they're gone, that's it, they aint never coming back. Talk about selling your cows for the proverbial handful of magic beans.

And what would we end up with with? Still the same bunch of monkeys running the Eagles, with their snouts so far into the trough all you can see is their arses, and responsible to nobody. And you think it would stop them bilking members for all we're worth? As it is, they roll over far to easy to the AFL. The extra money would simply be spent on executive salaries and paying more taxes and levies back to the AFL.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:No, you just don't get it.

Actually Dazz I am acutely aware that the WAFC owns the Eagles (and the Muppets). And what is your conclusion based on this fact? That the mere fact of ownership of these two clubs (their duoploly as I've characterised it) entitles them to do whatever the hell they want with zero accountability?
Last edited by HH on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:21 am

Total Package wrote:It's one thing to say to the AFL need to cough up some money for the stadium... but there is a very good reason they put in $5 million to the Adelaide Oval redevelopment and have not given a cent to Perth Stadium.

The WAFC refuse to hand over the license to the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle... their cash cows that they have been leeching off.

The SANFL handed over their license to the Crows and Port 3 years ago... and were paid handsomely for it.. including a $45 million AFL payment for grass roots footy.

Meanwhile... we over in WA rely on our 2 AFL clubs to not only feed the bloated WAFC... but to use that money for grassroots footy... whilst charging both clubs ridiculous amounts of rent for Subiaco Oval... rent they are about to lose.

So basically.. fuck the WAFC now. AFL are under no obligation to give them a single cent... until they relinquish the 2 AFL licenses they have.... which both AFL clubs here are desperate to have happen.

Back in June 2015, Gil promised that the AFL would make a financial contribution to the cost of the stadium without committing to quantum:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-25/a ... um/6573772

I'm not sure whether that promised funding was conditional on taking over the AFL licences of the Eagles and Dockers which are owned by the WAFC. But in principle, and I cannot believe I'm saying this, I'd rather the AFL strip the WAFC of the licences and allow a commercial operator to bid for each of them. I've always felt it was a conflict of interest that our owner also had a vested interest in making sure the Muppets were financially viable. We should have one owner whose sole interest was the interests of the mighty West Coast Eagles and its members, without that interest being diluted by worrying about a competing club (the Muppets) and grass roots WA footy as well.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:34 pm

HH wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:No, you just don't get it.

Actually Dazz I am acutely aware that the WAFC owns the Eagles (and the Muppets). And what is your conclusion based on this fact? That the mere fact of ownership of these two clubs (their duoploly as I've characterised it) entitles them to do whatever the hell they want with zero accountability?
Sigh.

No, as I've said, rant and rave all you want against the WAFC (and windmills) its not going to change.

Let me make this very simple: Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Let me make this very simple: Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)

No it won't. The VFL has promised to fund part of the cost of the stadium although it's not committed the amount.

The state government isn't just relying on the Eagles and Dockers to bring in rent for the stadium you know. There's cricket, rugby, association football, concerts etc.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Gee it was ironic enrolling for noteholder seating at Perth Stadium with no done deal yet because of the recalcitrant WAFC.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Hamburger on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 am

The lack of any information about seating and prices for Eagles members at the new stadium continues to worry. I suspect it is a consequence of ongoing haggling over just how much more can be wrung out of the fans for a ticket. We already pay way more than anyone else except the Dockers fans. There are a lot of vested interests involved....the club, the government, the managers of the venue and the WAFC. I cannot in all honesty say I believe any of those interests has our benefit at heart. We are cash cows.
I am being asked to supply details of who I want to be seated with? - something in which I have no interest.
What I want is a clear statement on where you might get to sit and how much it will cost.
The cynic in me suggests I am going to have to pay a lot more to sit in a similar position relative to the action on the ground. I don't see so well anymore. If I am going to be seated in the boondocks for more than I pay now and will need to be constantly referring to the big screens to see what happened then I may as well watch the game at home.
There is also the problem of me getting to and from the ground using the Midland rail line - I simply do not believe the modelling about numbers and time frames.
So at this point I am very much of the view this will be my last year as an Eagles seated member.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 am

Hamburger wrote:There is also the problem of me getting to and from the ground using the Midland rail line - I simply do not believe the modelling about numbers and time frames.
So at this point I am very much of the view this will be my last year as an Eagles seated member.

For those who need to get to / from the stadium cant you get there via clairesbrook?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:11 am

Hamburger wrote:We already pay way more than anyone else except the Dockers fans.

Happy to be proved wrong but I thought we paid more than the purple freaks.
Anyway I am excited. The stadium is going to be the best thing that has happened to this state for a generation. Will put us on the map as a sporting destination. In 20 years time I fully expect to be going to the stadium with my grandkids reminiscing about the doomsayer's who predicted the end of the world.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Hamburger wrote:The lack of any information about seating and prices for Eagles members at the new stadium continues to worry. I suspect it is a consequence of ongoing haggling over just how much more can be wrung out of the fans for a ticket. We already pay way more than anyone else except the Dockers fans. There are a lot of vested interests involved....the club, the government, the managers of the venue and the WAFC. I cannot in all honesty say I believe any of those interests has our benefit at heart. We are cash cows.
I am being asked to supply details of who I want to be seated with? - something in which I have no interest.
What I want is a clear statement on where you might get to sit and how much it will cost.
The cynic in me suggests I am going to have to pay a lot more to sit in a similar position relative to the action on the ground. I don't see so well anymore. If I am going to be seated in the boondocks for more than I pay now and will need to be constantly referring to the big screens to see what happened then I may as well watch the game at home.
There is also the problem of me getting to and from the ground using the Midland rail line - I simply do not believe the modelling about numbers and time frames.

The WCE has commenced canvassing members to ensure they get seats in their preferred groups at the new stadium. Until the two WA clubs come to an agreement with stadium management regarding the deal with them, we won't know what seats cost or what is available. We don't know how many seats the Stadium management want to quarantine for general admission etc. Until the deal is done, we will remain in the dark.

Nisbett did say that the WCE want it all wrapped up by the end of July 2017. I'm sure once the deal is done, offers will be made. Until then, we wait patiently. We must expect that the overall experience will be better than Subiaco Oval so it is likely we will be asked to pay more.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles