The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:55 pm

HH wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Let me make this very simple: Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)

No it won't. The VFL has promised to fund part of the cost of the stadium although it's not committed the amount.

The state government isn't just relying on the Eagles and Dockers to bring in rent for the stadium you know. There's cricket, rugby, association football, concerts etc.
:roll:
And again, read what I said:
"Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)"
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
HH wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Let me make this very simple: Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)

No it won't. The VFL has promised to fund part of the cost of the stadium although it's not committed the amount.

The state government isn't just relying on the Eagles and Dockers to bring in rent for the stadium you know. There's cricket, rugby, association football, concerts etc.
:roll:
"Every single extra dollar the government charges for the new stadium will come out of my pocket (and those of other members paying absurd prices.)"

From what I understand is that the Govt want footy to underwrite other events held at the stadium. The clubs are not committing to that.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby HH on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote::roll:

*face palm*

You apparently made such an obvious point that by repeating it twice with a roll eyes I should apparently get it. With respect, I thought I'd refuted it. However, I still don't know what your point is despite this. What is your point?

As I understand it, there are three outstanding points to the recalcitrant WAFC not agreeing to the government's deal.

The first is they think $10m a year guaranteed compensation is not enough. Their own modelling suggests $11m a year. Even if they were to pass on that $1m a year difference to members in terms of seating prices, for a 60,000 seat stadium, that equates to an average of $16.67 per seat that they'd need to pass on. That's hardly an absurd price to pass onto the consumer.

The second point is the government has offered 10 years of $10m a year. The WAFC want a longer guaranteed period. I don't know any other business or industry that has that sort of guarantee for that length of time. If you can't adapt and evolve within a 10 year guaranteed period, then you truly are a farked up incompetent muppet organisation.

The third and final point is the precious dears at the WAFC need funding to relocate their HQ to the WACA if they cede the Subi Oval lease. I've not been able to source how much they want for this in order to determine exactly just how precious this demand is or whether it is reasonable.
We want to move to Perth Stadium.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 am

I've got a good view of the stadium from the 11th floor where I work and this stadium is awesome. They were testing the screens yesterday they are fucking HUGE!! Also the design of the thing - from the outside the colour scheme and texture - looks like an actual Eagles Nest. :D
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm

WCE06 wrote:I've got a good view of the stadium from the 11th floor where I work and this stadium is awesome. They were testing the screens yesterday they are fucking HUGE!! Also the design of the thing - from the outside the colour scheme and texture - looks like an actual Eagles Nest. :D

Yeah I can see it from my desk at work too... I can't wait for next season. The Kitchener Park site could not possibly have been better than where it is now. It's going to be like a Coliseum in there with it filled with 60,000 supporters all cheering for 1 side which potentially will be the loudest crowd in Australia... as most games in Melbourne with big crowds have a 50/50 split.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:51 am

Total Package wrote:
WCE06 wrote:I've got a good view of the stadium from the 11th floor where I work and this stadium is awesome. They were testing the screens yesterday they are fucking HUGE!! Also the design of the thing - from the outside the colour scheme and texture - looks like an actual Eagles Nest. :D

Yeah I can see it from my desk at work too... I can't wait for next season. The Kitchener Park site could not possibly have been better than where it is now. It's going to be like a Coliseum in there with it filled with 60,000 supporters all cheering for 1 side which potentially will be the loudest crowd in Australia... as most games in Melbourne with big crowds have a 50/50 split.

i had a bit of a look a few days ago heading to the city from the causeway. Looks excellent, great backdrop.

Kudos to Barnett for his vision regarding the stadium.

Too bad everything else went shit.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Total Package wrote:

After the initial novelty wears off we will be lucky to see 40000 regular attendees. 60000 will be for finals and derbies. We can't get capacity at Subiaco and that's 43500.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby WCE06 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 pm

Disagree. The only reason Subi isn't always at capacity is our current geriatric membership. IMO 40k+ will be the norm when put teams out like the circa 2010 version or if we are playing shit teams and 50K+ any other time.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 pm

I got a walk through tour of the new stadium a few weeks ago and it's going to be freaking awesome. The outdoor deck with bar and restaurant with views to the city is amazing. Premium ticket experience like sitting next to the coaches box, or outdoor deck underneath the river-end screen will be like nothing else. Views from the third tier are amazing (the angle of the seating tiers is almost scary). The Eagles and Dockers facilities are second to none (massive warm up rooms right before running out onto oval).Visiting team facilities only meet AFL requirements (ie they are much smaller than WCE/Dockers). Standing in the middle of the oval, the stadium is like a massive cauldron. It'll be quite an experience for the players when the stadium is near capacity.
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:20 am

WCE06 wrote:Disagree. The only reason Subi isn't always at capacity is our current geriatric membership. IMO 40k+ will be the norm when put teams out like the circa 2010 version or if we are playing shit teams and 50K+ any other time.

Yeah I am on the waiting list and was praying that my number didn't come up in 2017... because I refuse to pay for a membership to attend that sub-standard shithole at Subiaco. Not to mention getting there is a downright pain in the ass.

I know several people that are Eagles fans and instead attend Dockers games with their kids because its the only chance of getting a membership and a ticket to the footy. If any crowds are going to suffer it will be the Dockers crowd and membership base.

They said the same thing about novelty when the Perth Wildcats were in their first season at Perth Arena... but still its full almost every game.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:27 am

Fat Side wrote:After the initial novelty wears off we will be lucky to see 40000 regular attendees. 60000 will be for finals and derbies. We can't get capacity at Subiaco and that's 43500.

You are one interesting dude sometimes. Are you a 2017 eagles member? If so how long have you been a member?
I can't wait for the new stadium. I first went to Subi, I grew up in the bush, in 1975 when I was 6. I'm pretty sure I used the same toilet block that is still used in the 3 tier stand (but hey, the state was debt free...).
People don't go to Subi cause it's a shithole...going to the footy at the new stadium is going to be a completely different experience.
TP. I like the dig about Subi being hard to get to!
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 am

farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby aquila audax on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 am

farmer joe wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-stadium-in-contention-to-host-2018-afl-grand-final-20170331-gvbb7j.html

You know it is April 1st don't you ?
aquila audax
Regular

Postby farmer joe on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:25 pm

aquila audax wrote:
farmer joe wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-stadium-in-contention-to-host-2018-afl-grand-final-20170331-gvbb7j.html

You know it is April 1st don't you ?

Yep. The construction work at the G was the give-away.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Ahhhh the delicious irony of the WAFC releasing this on April Fool's Day:

http://www.wafc.com.au/news/12028/struc ... a-football

In the review, the WAFC unashamedly says its purpose is to provide leadership, support, resources and funding to ensure Australian football remains the most popular sport in WA. They then commission the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), a top tier consulting firm to do a review to ensure the long term sustainability and success of the game.

For those who can't be bothered reading the full report, let me cut straight to the good bit concerning ownership of the two AFL licences for the Eagles and the Dockers. I'm quoting from page 96 of the report:

"Retain the current legal relationship between WAFC and AFL Clubs

The relationship between our AFL Clubs and WAFC is unusual

- the AFL Clubs are wholly owned subsidiaries of WAFC
- WAFC approves board appointments for AFL Clubs
- AFL Clubs each has a 25% vote to elect WAFC's board
- No other AFL clubs are owned by state's sporting body

Selling licences back to the AFL would more accurately reflect the actual relationship today

But the current arrangement delivers on current needs

- ongoing revenue stream to community football from AFL clubs
- well-balanced skill set on AFL club boards
- ability to remove the AFL club boards in extreme situation
- functional relationships between WAFC and AFL club boards

There is no need to change the relationship

- WAFC would only change it if a new model gave greater security to ongoing funding, which would be challenging - either a large lump sum or secure ongoing payment
- AFL clubs would only want to change it if they preferred an alternative board election mechanism"

What this report, paid for by the WAFC, fails to recognise is the massive conflict of interest in relation to the WAFC's primary goal of promoting grass roots WA footy on the one hand, versus the interests of Eagles and Dockers members on the other hand. BGC recognises that the WAFC is the sole state sporting body left that owns the AFL licences (the SANFL sold the Power and Crows' licences back to the clubs themselves a few years' ago) and that selling the licences back to the AFL would reflect the actual commercial relationship today, but then effective says keep the cosy arrangements as they are because it suits the WAFC to keep the cash cows to fund grass roots footy. Or greenmail someone for a large lump sum.

There is no way that an independent Eagles board, fighting for the rights of its members to have the best game day experience available, would allow a deal to be quashed simply because WA grass roots footy wasn't getting funding. The BGC report actually says "functional relationships between WAFC and AFL club boards". With respect, I would say too comfortable, cosy and conflicted.

In no way has the interests of Eagles and Dockers members been addressed in the BGC report. As an Eagles member, I want my club to be own and run by people who are solely interested in:

1. the Eagles winning as many premierships as possible; and

2. putting Eagles members' interests first.

I'm sure Dockers members would feel the same in relation to their own club. These two objectives should not be conflicted by leveraging us as a cash cow to fund grassroots footy or the interests of a rival football club. As a member, the management of our club should be accountable to the membership base and there is zero accountability or proper representation in this cosy arrangement.
We want to move to Perth Stadium.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles