West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

Jack Darling

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Jack Darling

Postby Gizza on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:07 am

This guy could be an absolute monster for us. He might not have done heaps for us tonight but it's been ages since I've seen someone who is such a natural strong mark in our side. Even players like Lynch and Kennedy just don't seem to have that grab strength that he has. If he puts on 10-15kg he could absolutely dominate in our forward line.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but thee future looks quite good with the likes of him up forward and the likes of Gaff and Shuey in the middle.
Gizza
Regular

Re: Jack Darling

Postby Eliot Mess on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:54 am

Can mark, can kick for goal, but the edge on his appetite for the contest, as seen in his tackling is my favourite thing.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby thorne89 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 am

There are few forwards in the modern game with 'aura', in that their mere presence on the ground lifts their teammates and scares the opposition. J. Brown easily the best example.

Darling will have this in spades, IMO. Kennedy could learn lots from him, doesn't seem to have a big enough presence even when he is playing well.
"I’m just a normal functioning member of the human race and there’s no way anyone can prove otherwise"
thorne89
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 am

The next Jonathan Brown.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Buzz on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 am

Should be our tackling coach.
Check the gun
Buzz
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:46 am

DALBY wrote:The next Jonathan Brown.

Hope so dalbs :D :D

Gizza wrote:If he puts on 10-15kg he could absolutely dominate in our forward line.

Maybe not that much...he is a big boy already could lose that agility if he gets too big.. perhaps another 7kg would be better ??? so he keeps that agility

love his hands :D :D
The will to win...we have lost it.......maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Gizza on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

penrith eagle wrote:
DALBY wrote:The next Jonathan Brown.

Hope so dalbs :D :D

Gizza wrote:If he puts on 10-15kg he could absolutely dominate in our forward line.

Maybe not that much...he is a big boy already could lose that agility if he gets too big.. perhaps another 7kg would be better ??? so he keeps that agility

love his hands :D :D

Perhaps you're right. I was just basing it the fact that he is about 12kg lighter than Kennedy. But he is a few centimetres shorter I suppose. But you would probably want him getting to around 95Kg.
Gizza
Regular

Postby Bacardi Babe on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Darling looks good to me.

I was saying to a rellie of mine last night that he's the exact type my grandfather and my great uncles would love. He'd fit straight in at the Newdegate or Lake Grace footy clubs. He's a big boy, nice and strong naturally, and he has a bit of a 'lad' about himself.

Cant wait to see what becomes of him. Dalbs is right...Jonathan Brown mark 2 coming up!
Even heroes have the right to bleed
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Bacardi Babe wrote:Darling looks good to me.

I was saying to a rellie of mine last night that he's the exact type my grandfather and my great uncles would love.
You I can understand, but all your male relatives? :lol:

But yes, I really rate the guy. Funny I wanted us to chase him for over a year. First they thought he would go too early, then they thought we wouldn't waste our 1st round pick, then they thought he was too short...

I wouldn't wnat to see him put on much more weight, if anything would like to see him grow a few cm, and/or improve his leap.
He and Kennedy are the future.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Eagle Boy on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm

A fantastic pick-up in the draft. With him, Shuey, Gaff things are turning around. Took some ripper grabs last night. Like him go back and kick long though rather than play on with the handball. Been very impressed with his performances in his first few games, great signs.
Eagle Boy
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:

I was saying to a rellie of mine last night that he's the exact type my grandfather and my great uncles would love.

But yes, I really rate the guy. Funny I wanted us to chase him for over a year. First they thought he would go too early, then they thought we wouldn't waste our 1st round pick, then they thought he was too short...

I wouldn't wnat to see him put on much more weight, if anything would like to see him grow a few cm, and/or improve his leap.

And then 2 days later you post that you want Darling dropped from the side for this week :lol:
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 am

Total Package wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

And then 2 days later you post that you want Darling dropped from the side for this week :lol:
"You imply disparity where none exists."
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby King Quinten on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 pm

One thing I never got was why people were suggesting this guy isn't big enough to be a key position forward. He's 191cm, only 1 cm shorter than Pav and 4 cm shorter than Brownie.

I agree he only really needs to get to say 95kg to be the right size. Look at Franklin he's 196cm and 95kg. Strong, but still agile and athletic. I hope Jacky boy can keep the agility he's shown so far, and not bulk up too much.

Apparently he wants a run in the midfield in the future :).
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7155/newsid/111739/default.aspx
I reckon we don't have a future Brown, but we may have a future Pav! Mid/Fwd Utility. That would be fantastic :)
2011 Official Sponsor of Josh "The President" Kennedy
2012 Official Sponsor of Scott "Scooter McGavin" Selwood
2013 Official Sponsor of Nic "The Panther" Naitanui
JK now launching rocket drop-punts from the Kennedy Space Centre (about 50m out on the boundary :D).
King Quinten
Regular

Postby WCE06 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank god he played sticky fingers on school camp. Size, Speed, Aggression and Great hands.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 pm

King Quinten wrote:I reckon we don't have a future Brown, but we may have a future Pav! Mid/Fwd Utility. That would be fantastic :)

Geez I hope he is better than Pav... last thing we need is another choker in front of goals!
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles