West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby HH on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 pm

The owners of The Camfield and any other nearby pubs and clubs will be happy with this mid-strength decision.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 am

HH wrote:The owners of The Camfield and any other nearby pubs and clubs will be happy with this mid-strength decision.

That Camfield looks awesome. I'm sure it will be well patronised.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mead on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 pm

The mid-strength rule is one of those things which is patently ridiculous.

Why at the football? Why not implement a mid-strength rule on streets in northbridge? Could it be because the public can vote with their feet everywhere except a stadium which they have to go to anyway?

How come you can get a full strength beer at Perth Arena without the world ending? How come a 100k strong crowd at the MCG can get full strength drinks without killing each other?

The truth is it is not at all about public safety. It is completely about-
- forcing a captive public who are stuck there for three hours at a time to spend more on beer than they otherwise would (because all other things being equal an average drinker might buy 2-3 mids rather than 1-2 standard full strength drinks.
-adding 'value' to the corporate box experience, because you are permitted to do something there that you can do everywhere else in WA except the rest of the stadium.

At the end of the day I struggle to get upset about it because its just so obviously ridiculous and petty, but truth be told it's a contemptible scam, and the only reason stadium management get away with it is because AFL going public in WA have become desensitised to the stupidity of it. It is a money grab pure and simple.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Yep. I personally go to the footy live to watch the footy and not to get pissed.

This mid-strength decision is all part of this nanny state mentality but guess what dudes. If people wanted to get drunk and cause trouble they could easily pre-load before the game and have a crack regardless of whether the stadium sold full strength beer or not to normal punters. So don’t pretend it’s on policy grounds or social class division.

The Camfield and other licensed venues in Burswood are loving the decision though.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:36 am

I heard recently that Armadale, Fremantle and Joondalup trains will all have straight throughs to the new PS Station.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WC Aquila on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Half strength beer but full strength wine will be sold. Personally I don't care because during the whole season I might drink 1 beer.
WC Aquila
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Pinion King wrote:I heard recently that Armadale, Fremantle and Joondalup trains will all have straight throughs to the new PS Station.

Well the stadium is on the armadale line lol
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby ruckroving on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:13 pm

I also read where gosh, the new station will move 28,000 people an hour! If the stadium is full, what do the other 32,000 do after the game? Hang around for an hour or try to walk?
ruckroving
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Pinion King wrote:I heard recently that Armadale, Fremantle and Joondalup trains will all have straight throughs to the new PS Station.

Yeah.

There's one massive gap in that - the Mandurah line, aka the busiest line in Perth. Of course, Subi had direct trains to/from Mandurah, but was also walking distance from the Joondalup line.

Oh, and through trains won't operate before weekday matches, as all rolling stock is tied up in servicing normal peak hour services. The most you'd get is shuttles from the city.

I really hope this isn't a public transport disaster, as the cost to remediate it would be similar to the cost of the stadium itself.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Mr Q wrote:

Yeah.

There's one massive gap in that - the Mandurah line, aka the busiest line in Perth. Of course, Subi had direct trains to/from Mandurah, but was also walking distance from the Joondalup line.

Oh, and through trains won't operate before weekday matches, as all rolling stock is tied up in servicing normal peak hour services. The most you'd get is shuttles from the city.

I really hope this isn't a public transport disaster, as the cost to remediate it would be similar to the cost of the stadium itself.

After the game at Subi, only Midland and Mandurah had straight through. Joondalup/Armadale/Thornlie had changeovers or walks. Before the game, only Midland had straight through.

I've got tickets to the trial T20 match in a couple of weeks and they are testing out the public transport system.

Will be interesting.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 am

Mr Q wrote:

Yeah.

It is going to be fascinating, particularly early in the season when the footbridge isn't there.

With footbridge, I suppose the logic is a lot of people heading west to east will just use the fairly ample bus options from the city to east perth, or even park at the WACA, and walk across. For people working in the CBD I think it will be fine, in fact in some ways better than the horrific crawls to subi in peak hour, because you don't have a major north-south road like Thomas road impeding west-east traffic. My plan from a city office is just going to be to bus/uber to claisebrook cove.

Without footbridge, hm. I'm expecting there will be some fairly mad flailing early in the year.

Without getting political about it, in 1931 it took 5 years to construct the Hoover dam, at the time the largest concrete dam in the world, with spillways, road access, tunnelled river diversion and an inbuilt hydroelectric power station. It has been 6 years since the stadium was announced at this location, and during that time two successive WA government hasn't been able to design and construct a light foot bridge, over a medium sized body of water, for people to walk across.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 am

There was talk that they may use the ferries as well in the future.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Pinion King wrote:There was talk that they may use the ferries as well in the future.

If they do it right (basically sufficient volume of ferries and no more than 15-20 min from Elizabeth quay) that would be amazing.

Hop off the train at EQ, beer at Reveleys or the lucky shag, then straight up the river arriving at the stadium's doorstep.

I don't think Transperth has the boats to do that at the moment but that would be the best way to go to football in Australia.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Mead wrote:
Pinion King wrote:There was talk that they may use the ferries as well in the future.

If they do it right (basically sufficient volume of ferries and no more than 15-20 min from Elizabeth quay) that would be amazing.

Hop off the train at EQ, beer at Reveleys or the lucky shag, then straight up the river arriving at the stadium's doorstep.

I don't think Transperth has the boats to do that at the moment but that would be the best way to go to football in Australia.

The tender has gone out for the construction of a third ferry
Last edited by Fat Side on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

Yeah.

After the game at Subi, only Midland and Mandurah had straight through. Joondalup/Armadale/Thornlie had changeovers or walks. Before the game, only Midland had straight through.

I've got tickets to the trial T20 match in a couple of weeks and they are testing out the public transport system.

Will be interesting.

The bit you're missing is that most people on the Joondalup line would walk to Leederville directly, so no changing trains. There's no equivalent for the Mandurah line from Burswood.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles