9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

End of 2017 Clean Out

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: End of 2017 Clean Out

Postby Bigbird on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:15 pm

The Boat wrote:Clearly pushed. Rumours of unrest in the nest is gathering steam

That's a good thing IMO. Change creates conflict and vice versa. We all know that something needs to give and maybe this will drive something positive for the club - even if we don't see the benefits immediately.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Signing Priddis when they did is just utterly unforgivable.

Whether it is 200k or 500k, that is still money we are paying someone to not play football, just when the likes of Brandon Matera or Mitch McGovern are on the free agent market. That is a pretty amazing blunder, reminiscent of some of the off field decisions made by freo in the 90s when they were a complete shambles off field.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/s ... -on-petrie

It looks like Petrie could stay for another year
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/second-serving-for-the-dish-eagle-could-play-on-petrie

It looks like Petrie could stay for another year

I see no problems with this. Petrie more than held his own in the team. He certainly contributed in a few games.

He will be insurance again if Natanui, Lycett or Vardy are injured for extended periods.

Probably means McInnes will be delisted.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 am

Petrie playing on for another year would be fantastic news. Capable of playing in several positions on the field and showed this year he still has it in his legs. Very good mark and excellent kick for goal.. I could see him spending even more time forward next year.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 am

Total Package wrote:Petrie playing on for another year would be fantastic news. Capable of playing in several positions on the field and showed this year he still has it in his legs. Very good mark and excellent kick for goal.. I could see him spending even more time forward next year.

i've done a 180 on this. he has done remarkably well however we just need to look to the future.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 pm

This is a simple assessment of out list. Basically putting players into 1 of 3 catagories for next year: Improving, Peaking, Declining

Sam Mitchell Confirmed retiring
Mark LeCras Declining
Andrew Gaff Peaking
Dom Sheed Improving
Brad Sheppard Peaking
Elliot Yeo Improving
Chris Masten Declining
Jack Redden Declining
Nic Naitanui Peaking
Tom Lamb Improving
Matt Priddis Confirmed Retiring
Sharrod Wellingham Declining
Luke Shuey Peaking
Liam Duggan Improving
Jamie Cripps Peaking
Eric Mackenzie Declining
Josh J. Kennedy Peaking
Daniel Venables Improving
Nathan Vardy Improving
Jeremy McGovern Improving
Jonathan Giles Declining
Lewis Jetta Peaking
Luke Partington Improving
Shannon Hurn Peaking
Sam Butler Declining
Jack Darling Improving
Thomas Cole Improving
Scott Lycett Improving - just
Jackson Nelson Improving
Will Schofield Declining
Josh Hill Declining
Mark Hutchings Declining
Josh Rotham Dont even know who this is, Improving
Tom Barrass Improving
Kurt Mutimer Improving
Malcolm Karpany Improving
Matthew Allen Improving
Willie Rioli Improving
Jake Waterman Improving

9 players in Decline
8 Players at their peak
18 players Improving or developing
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Total Package wrote:Petrie playing on for another year would be fantastic news. Capable of playing in several positions on the field and showed this year he still has it in his legs. Very good mark and excellent kick for goal.. I could see him spending even more time forward next year.

i've done a 180 on this. he has done remarkably well however we just need to look to the future.

I agree. He's been terrific. You know with Petrie that he will give 100% effort 100% of the time.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Mark Hutchings Declining

Most of your list seems reasonable, but I'm wondering on what basis you make this call?
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Mr Q wrote:

Most of your list seems reasonable, but I'm wondering on what basis you make this call?

Sorry, Hutchings should be "Peaking" i cant see any room for improvement/developing his skill sets / taking his game to another level.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Mr Q wrote:

See you corrected this.
The only other one that stands out out is Cripps - Declining, not peaking.
Otherwise a reasonable assessment that gives a different viewpoint of the same problem.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Knobert Walls adds his two cents. Its no secret he absolutely hates West Coast.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast/west-coast-should-cull-eight-to-10-players-from-its-list-at-seasons-end-says-robert-walls/news-story/f522f97eb78cd7b51c9ff2c83f9d7d34

Unfortunately you cant present an opposing argument to his opinion based on our performances..
“If I’m Adam Simpson, I get rid of eight or 10 on the list and bring in younger blokes who want to work hard. Certainly look for speed, but look for effort too,” Walls said.
“They’ve got too many players who like to be forward of the ball to get the easy take, the easy receive.”

“They’re not prepared to work hard enough, the Eagles. And as a result they lost a game that, on talent, they should have won.”
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:55 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Knobert Walls adds his two cents. Its no secret he absolutely hates West Coast.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast/west-coast-should-cull-eight-to-10-players-from-its-list-at-seasons-end-says-robert-walls/news-story/f522f97eb78cd7b51c9ff2c83f9d7d34

Unfortunately you cant present an opposing argument to his opinion based on our performances..
“If I’m Adam Simpson, I get rid of eight or 10 on the list and bring in younger blokes who want to work hard. Certainly look for speed, but look for effort too,” Walls said.
“They’ve got too many players who like to be forward of the ball to get the easy take, the easy receive.”

“They’re not prepared to work hard enough, the Eagles. And as a result they lost a game that, on talent, they should have won.”

Eagles deserve all the bad publicity they are getting at the moment, but this is purely bandwagoning. If you are saying that the team needs to move on 8 to 10 players at season end, you should have the guts to at least name some (and don't take the easy option naming Priddis and Mitchell who are already retiring).

Pointless article just jumping on the bandwagon.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Knobert Walls adds his two cents. Its no secret he absolutely hates West Coast.

Eagles deserve all the bad publicity they are getting at the moment, but this is purely bandwagoning. If you are saying that the team needs to move on 8 to 10 players at season end, you should have the guts to at least name some (and don't take the easy option naming Priddis and Mitchell who are already retiring).

Pointless article just jumping on the bandwagon.

He must be reading these forums (or contributing to them). He's stating what many on here have said.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby lazzas on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Fat Side"[quote="domo_the_eagle wrote:Knobert Walls adds his two cents. Its no secret he absolutely hates West Coast.

Pointless article just jumping on the bandwagon.[/quote]

He must be reading these forums (or contributing to them). He's stating what many on here have said.[/quote]

Your not suggesting that the walls have ears are you?
lazzas
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading