West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

End of 2017 Clean Out

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: End of 2017 Clean Out

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:59 pm

As much as we do need this clean-out, with Priddis retiring I'm actually a bit disappointed now that Mitchell is going to retire. Assuming we will get more first use of the ball next season, I think his positives would outweigh his negatives. It's a pity his time here didn't coincide with Nic Nat being healthy, because his vision under pressure and ability to deliver the ball could have been quite the weapon.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Total Package on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Yeah I would love to see Sam Mitchell play on next year. He still seems to have his legs under him and can play off half back as well.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Total Package wrote:Yeah I would love to see Sam Mitchell play on next year. He still seems to have his legs under him and can play off half back as well.

Agree 100%. An old fashioned playing coach
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:As much as we do need this clean-out, with Priddis retiring I'm actually a bit disappointed now that Mitchell is going to retire. Assuming we will get more first use of the ball next season, I think his positives would outweigh his negatives. It's a pity his time here didn't coincide with Nic Nat being healthy, because his vision under pressure and ability to deliver the ball could have been quite the weapon.

I didn't think that this was confirmed yet. Would also like to see one year as recipient of NN ruck work.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Bigbird on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Is there any reason why we couldn't formally put him into a player/coach role? i.e. he aims to play a dozen or so games across the year and has fixed "player management" periods where he focuses on coaching in 2-3 week blocks.

I know back in the day there used to be playing coaches - Blight comes to mind, is this something that any clubs actually do? I know 'end of life' players will actively develop players around them, but they are usually still targeting playing through a whole season, and coaching full-time afterwards.

It could even be something like aiming to play the first 12 rounds of 2018, getting a whole pre-season in with our new look midfield brigade - then imparting as much possible in his on-field role, before actively coaching in the second half of the year.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 am

It may be worth keeping mitchell as a player coach next year. Id love to see him robing to a proper ruckman.

He can always transition to coaching full time mod way through the year if needed.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Just read this... which makes for interesting reading. The main takes:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ma ... a83968c0b7

1. Priddis and Simpson had an "emotion charged" meeting on Tuesday where it sounds like Priddis was told he wouldn't be a full time midfielder anymore. This actually made me gain some respect back for Simpson that he had the balls to tell him that... but.......

2. Priddis rightfully admitted he can't play any other spot on the field but midfielder and that you need speed to play as a defender or forward which he admits he couldn't do. MUCH respect for him for firstly admitting that and secondly seeing that. My question is... which West Coast Eagles coach or selection committee member decided that playing Priddis as a forward or defender part time was possibly going to work in the first place??? Are they out of their minds. It doesn't fill me with any confidence to know we have a club who were willing to make a blatantly poor decision like that.

3. Priddis was rested from this weeks game... rather than him having an injury that was going to keep him out.... as I suspected.

4. Priddis had been signed a few weeks back for $500,000 next year..... WOW and WTF. :shock: Am I wrong or is that an absolutely insane amount of money to be paying for a 33 year old part time midfielder struggling to get a kick in his 2nd last year. When you consider Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood get $800,000. That puts Priddis in the top 13% of player salaries in the AFL next year. Was it some sort of golden handshake or do we just have money to literally burn.

We could have been using that money to make a million dollar bid at an out of contract talented young midfielder... like oh I dunno... Josh Kelly who is from WA and looked to leave the Giants? We could have used that $500k and with the retirement of other players easily give him over $1 mill a year. He would have been absolutely perfect. Even a Jacob Hopper from GWS... high draft pick and a quick big bodied midfielder who is only 20. We could have gotten him for $500k under the carrot of playing mid next to Nic Nat.

5. Priddis had been "battling thoughts of retirement for 10 weeks". Again if true... why would we sign him up in June for $500,000 when you have a guy that was already thinking retirement weeks earlier. Awful list management. Now we are faced with either paying out the entire thing or having to negotaite a part settlement. Salary cap we could have used to get a young talent.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:11 pm

If true then that's simply awful list management.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbird on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:11 pm

If the player retires, do they still get paid out? I would have thought not...at least the club would not be contractually obliged if the player decided not to fulfil the terms of the contract.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:
Total Package wrote:Yeah I would love to see Sam Mitchell play on next year. He still seems to have his legs under him and can play off half back as well.

If we are having a clean out, then Mitchell has to go. He will be keeping an emerging young player out of the side.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Mykidsdad wrote:

If we are having a clean out, then Mitchell has to go. He will be keeping an emerging young player out of the side.

Just to play devil's advocate on that point:
If we are having a clean-out, how many players can be acquired in a single off-season that are likely to have an impact?
To me, it seems like the difference between dumping say 7 guys or 8 is minimal benefit, because what sort of quality is the 8th young replacement going to be?
If you keep Sam for one more season, then he gets replaced the following off-season, with his pick being from a smaller and therefore higher-quality pool.
Hope my meaning is clear enough there.

Basically it becomes diminishing returns, the more players you drop in one go. Nothing wrong with a clean-out, but you also need to try to maximise your value from it. Trying to obtain all your picks from a single year's talent doesn't do that.
Secondly, keeping a guy like Sam - who is presumably on decent $$ - for an extra season, is better salary cap management as well. We'll already be freeing up a lot of dollars as it is. Freeing up too much money all at once is counterproductive.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Bigbird wrote:If the player retires, do they still get paid out? I would have thought not...at least the club would not be contractually obliged if the player decided not to fulfil the terms of the contract.

They usually get paid out a portion of the contract, i think.

If they are delisted, i think they have to be paid out at full contract value.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby lazzas on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Bigbird wrote:If the player retires, do they still get paid out? I would have thought not...at least the club would not be contractually obliged if the player decided not to fulfil the terms of the contract.

The article says,

"Priddis was expected to earn about $500,000 next year, but may only receive about half of that. Talks between management and the Eagles over the final terms of his departure are still to take place."

So yes your right.
lazzas
Regular

Postby The Boat on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Clearly pushed. Rumours of unrest in the nest is gathering steam
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Just to play devil's advocate on that point:
If we are having a clean-out, how many players can be acquired in a single off-season that are likely to have an impact?
To me, it seems like the difference between dumping say 7 guys or 8 is minimal benefit, because what sort of quality is the 8th young replacement going to be?
If you keep Sam for one more season, then he gets replaced the following off-season, with his pick being from a smaller and therefore higher-quality pool.
Hope my meaning is clear enough there.

Basically it becomes diminishing returns, the more players you drop in one go. Nothing wrong with a clean-out, but you also need to try to maximise your value from it. Trying to obtain all your picks from a single year's talent doesn't do that.
Secondly, keeping a guy like Sam - who is presumably on decent $$ - for an extra season, is better salary cap management as well. We'll already be freeing up a lot of dollars as it is. Freeing up too much money all at once is counterproductive.

Depends upon where you sit on the ladder, how good your talent identification program is and what you're willing to trade.

Lets say Mitchell, Priddis, LeCras and Butler all retire and we Delist Hill, Wellingham and Lamb

That'd leave us with 7 picks.

At present we'd have picks 10, 28, 46, 64, 81, 99, 117,. The last 3 picks would move up the order due to not every club using 4 or more picks. So potentially we'd have 10, 28, 46, 64 and 3 picks in the late 70's early 80's remembering the last pick last year was 77 which we picked up Waterman.

You'd definitely use your 1st 3 picks as they would be reasonable value. You would also look at upgrading 1 or even 2 rookies as you could give them a one year contract and delist at the end of the year. You could trade next years 2nd round pick for a 2nd rounder this year but next years draft is supposedly better than this year. As you say, the deeper you go the more chance of a dud especially with the way we've been drafting lately.

Do we pick up a Free Agent? Someone like Tom Rockliff.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading