The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

End of 2017 Clean Out

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 am

domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: End of 2017 Clean Out

Postby Mr Q on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

That's the most speculative article with a headline that means nothing that I've read in a while. Listing a few rookies to make up the numbers is a bit ridiculous.

I'd expect a few departures, but unless it was a great draft, why would you offload a useful player who might play on for a season for a kid who'll never make the grade on a two year contract? It's not like the 90s where there were a few amazing late picks.

I *would* be interested in seeing a few overlooked state level players (ie the 22-24 year old bracket) taken on late in the draft to see if they actually have what it takes. That might be an interesting experiment.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby aquila audax on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am

I know many on this site have been critical of Priddis's one year extension , but if he does retire and is given the extra year's salary on departure , I for one think it is a justly deserved bonus for the many years service he has given in a physically tough role , not to mention the Brownlow medal he brought to the club . Certainly the Eagles can afford it .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am

It would massive clean out if 12 players are gone and would fill a massive void.

I think masten, wellingham, priddis could be kept as depth/injury cover.

McInnes and Tunbridge kept retained via the rookie list if possible.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 am

There's 4 or 5 definite changes going to happen at the end of the year - Mitchell, Petrie, Brophy, Giles and maybe Butler

The others - Hill, Lecca, Tunbridge, Priddis, Wellingham- will probably depend on who we get at the draft / FA table.

If we get Matera, for example, your expect we'd give up both Hill and Lecca and run with Karpany, Matera, Rioli and cripps as our small forwards.

I think we'd keep Mackenzie on the list as depth - he's shown enough this year that he is starting to 'get' Simpson's game plan. What we do a few other list cloggers (Lamb, for example) is an interesting question.

Beyond that, we really need 3 things in the draft:
- a young ruckman to develop
- a quality Key Position forward to develop to replace Kennedy
- Mids, Mids, Mids, midfielders and more mids.

If we pick up another half backer or half forward who can 'run through the midfield', I will buy a hat and eat it.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Total Package on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm

aquila audax wrote:I know many on this site have been critical of Priddis's one year extension , but if he does retire and is given the extra year's salary on departure , I for one think it is a justly deserved bonus for the many years service he has given in a physically tough role , not to mention the Brownlow medal he brought to the club . Certainly the Eagles can afford it .

Yup we already made the mistake of giving him that extra year contract. I have no problem keeping him on the list next year as long as he plays every game as East Perth. Do a Sam Mitchell with Priddis... make him a part-time assistant.

I'd keep others on the list too like Wellingham... for no other reason than you can't logically dump 8 guys in 1 year. All you are doing is replacing them with end of the draft talent. You want to make sure you have enough players on your list to delist in 2018, 2019, 2020 to make way for draft picks.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Masten is under contract until the end of 2019. He won't be going anywhere
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 pm

I actually said in another topic that we could do worse than make 8-10 changes off the main list.

Do it by using 4-5 picks in the draft and promoting our current rookies. Then top up the rookies with a mix of 18 year olds and a few mature 22-24 year old WAFL types that may turn out like Priddis. And we may get a promoted rookie that turns out like a couple the scum got from their drug induced coma (I mean year off followed by the reward of pick one and keep any unearthed gems).
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:18 pm

A mate just rung me...said his mate had rung him about his "eagles insider" mate having rung him to say that Matt Priddis will hold a press conference before the end of the week and announce his retirement.

I called bs.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:30 pm

farmer joe wrote:A mate just rung me...said his mate had rung him about his "eagles insider" mate having rung him to say that Matt Priddis will hold a press conference before the end of the week and announce his retirement.

I called bs.

that does seem highly unlikely.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:McInnes and Tunbridge kept retained via the rookie list if possible.

I don't disagree with that. They are rookies now.

Mackenzie must be kept on unless he is made an F/A offer. He has been okay this year (injury aside) and Schofield has been in and out. With Barrass developing, the depth would be useful. I think we need to see Wellingham off. We have a plethora of young running half back types (Nelson, Cole, Rotham, Watson, Gorter) in addition to Sheppard and Hurn. Develop the youngsters.

Giles has to go along with Petrie and we should draft a good mature age (20-22 years) rookie ruckman from a second tier comp. Keep McInnes as back up. Keep Tunbridge and decided what we are doing with Lamb. If he isn't getting a game as a forward, why not experiment with positional changes. At 194cm he is the same size as Bontempelli and a bit bigger than Mundy...maybe run on a wing?
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm

farmer joe wrote:A mate just rung me...said his mate had rung him about his "eagles insider" mate having rung him to say that Matt Priddis will hold a press conference before the end of the week and announce his retirement.

I called bs.

Now that is serious chinese whispers.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Fat Side wrote:

I called bs.

Players only hold conferences for that sort of thing at start/middle of week not after selection night.

I agree with BS.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Fat Side wrote:

I called bs.

Priddis is going to retire purple monkey dishwasher?
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

I called bs.

Players only hold conferences for that sort of thing at start/middle of week not after selection night.

I agree with BS.
And the not named, sudden injury situation will feed that little chinese whisper! I'll eat my retirement slipper if true.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading