West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Trade Targets 2017

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

FORMER Melbourne speedster Dom Barry is back on the AFL radar after an impressive first season with Glenelg.

The 23-year-old's blistering pace down the wing and outside run will be enough to get clubs taking a second look.

Barry has made an immediate impact at the Tigers, averaging 21 disposals per game to go with 10 goals.

Dom Barry (Glenelg)
Played two seasons with Melbourne before leaving the Demons at the end of 2014 to move to the APY Lands in far north South Australia to reconnect with his family's culture. The 23-year-old has been a revelation in his first season with Glenelg with his blistering speed on the wing. Has attracted the attention of a couple of AFL clubs.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
FORMER Melbourne speedster Dom Barry is back on the AFL radar after an impressive first season with Glenelg.

The 23-year-old's blistering pace down the wing and outside run will be enough to get clubs taking a second look.

Barry has made an immediate impact at the Tigers, averaging 21 disposals per game to go with 10 goals.

Dom Barry (Glenelg)
Played two seasons with Melbourne before leaving the Demons at the end of 2014 to move to the APY Lands in far north South Australia to reconnect with his family's culture. The 23-year-old has been a revelation in his first season with Glenelg with his blistering speed on the wing. Has attracted the attention of a couple of AFL clubs.

Is he a midfielder or half back? 21 possessions a game in the midfield in a second tier team, won't cut it as a mid in the AFL.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

The difficulty in recruiting young talent is difficult to do in large numbers. If Masten, Wellingham, Hill, Butler, Mitchell, LeCras, Giles and McInnes go, they will need to be replaced on the senior list (Petrie and Tunbridge are rookies). I don't see any rookies worthy of elevation for next year.

That means we need to recruit eight players by either trading or drafting. Mitch McGovern might be a target - is there anybody else? If we trade in two players, that leaves six for the draft. If we finish tenth, our draft selections would be: 9, 28, 46, 64, 72, 90 (unless we get a draft pick for LeCras going as an FA). What quality player will we get for picks 71 and 90? - What Father/Son selections are available?

Food for thought and discussion.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Whatever we do, we need to keep our first rounder.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Fat Side wrote:The difficulty in recruiting young talent is difficult to do in large numbers. If Masten, Wellingham, Hill, Butler, Mitchell, LeCras, Giles and McInnes go, they will need to be replaced on the senior list (Petrie and Tunbridge are rookies). I don't see any rookies worthy of elevation for next year.

That means we need to recruit eight players by either trading or drafting. Mitch McGovern might be a target - is there anybody else? If we trade in two players, that leaves six for the draft. If we finish tenth, our draft selections would be: 9, 28, 46, 64, 72, 90 (unless we get a draft pick for LeCras going as an FA). What quality player will we get for picks 71 and 90? - What Father/Son selections are available?

Add to that, it's considered a shallow draft. I think only 3 players will drafted. Isn't Giles a rookie? I think Masten and wellingham won't be delisted as they don't need the spots and they are depth
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:Isn't Giles a rookie?

Giles is on the main list. Our rookies are Petrie, Gorter, Snadden, Tunbridge and McInnes, with Brophy, Watson and Bayok as Cat B rookies.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Fat Side wrote:The difficulty in recruiting young talent is difficult to do in large numbers. If Masten, Wellingham, Hill, Butler, Mitchell, LeCras, Giles and McInnes go, they will need to be replaced on the senior list (Petrie and Tunbridge are rookies). I don't see any rookies worthy of elevation for next year.

I think we could see us delist/retire Butler, Mitchell and LeCras. Hill might be a roughie to be delisted, but with lecras going and Rioli injury plagued they probably see some value there. Masten is someone who could still hold some late round value in a trade, maybe an extra 3rd/early fourth for him, I can see him being valuable to a team that already has a solid midifled and he can just be their des headland in brisbane type player. Wellingham doesn't deserve a new contract but I feel they won't swallow that pill and admit they made a mistake so they will give him a "prove it" contract. As Q said, McInnes is a rookie so it wouldn't be a main list spot we are needing to fill if we dropped him, so all in all it is probably about 4 picks in the draft we will take, maybe 5 if we drop Giles aswell. We get a pick for Masten and we would still be picking replacements in the mid fourth round, not ideal but not horrendous. We just need to make sure that our scouts are actually clued on and our development coaches can bring them on (and the quicker the better please)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 am

I think that there is every chance we will lose Lamb as well.

And that list from Fat Side is the problem crunch we have created as a club by stacking up on old guys in a false belief we were on the verge of a premiership.
Now our existing oldies are at the end as part of the natural cycle, but so are all the old add-ons. We are suddenly in the situation where we have 8-10 guys who should retire or get de-listed. And some will have to stay, possibly for more than a year.

We could actually do worse than accept an 8-10 list turnover by using 4-5 selections, elevating 4-5 rookies and then stocking up on new rookies. Some of the elevated rookies might do a MacDonald-Tipungwuti (or however you spell it) and turn out to be solid AFL standard.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:47 pm

MrWoollie wrote:I think that there is every chance we will lose Lamb as well.

And that list from Fat Side is the problem crunch we have created as a club by stacking up on old guys in a false belief we were on the verge of a premiership.
Now our existing oldies are at the end as part of the natural cycle, but so are all the old add-ons. We are suddenly in the situation where we have 8-10 guys who should retire or get de-listed. And some will have to stay, possibly for more than a year.

We could actually do worse than accept an 8-10 list turnover by using 4-5 selections, elevating 4-5 rookies and then stocking up on new rookies. Some of the elevated rookies might do a MacDonald-Tipungwuti (or however you spell it) and turn out to be solid AFL standard.

I think that is the better way of doing a big list cull too. Even if it means some rookies get elevated when they don't deserve it. By elevating the rookies and bringing more players in via the rookie list it means that they can be brought in on one year deals, so if it doesn't work they can be moved on next year, bringing in draftees especially when they are about the same as what we would get in the rookie draft means they are locked on the list for longer (is it 2 or 3 year minimum for a spot on the main list for a draftee?)

I don't know whether we will lose tom lamb though. Lat year he wanted out did he not? And he ended up having to sign a new deal with us coz nobody was interested?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Mr Q wrote:

Giles is on the main list. Our rookies are Petrie, Gorter, Snadden, Tunbridge and McInnes, with Brophy, Watson and Bayok as Cat B rookies.

I'm also pretty sure that Giles came with a three year contract so has another year to go.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that Giles came with a three year contract so has another year to go.

He does have another year, but apparently he has a chronic knee issue and could retire. There has been a bit of talk about Tim Kelly at South Fremantle. Is he a player we should look at? He's just turned 23 so has plenty of footy left in him.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:41 am

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/we ... 3842df763a

With our supposed War Chest and our desire to get Mitch Mcgovern the biggest problem lies with what we would have to give up for him.

What do you think it'd take?

Others on the radar to consider would be

Sam Reid - Sydney Swans
Kurt Tippett - Sydney Swans
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 am

Streaker wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-eagles-build-war-chest-for-trade-period-in-list-shakeup/news-story/3816bd1f018e262fcfb4e43842df763a

With our supposed War Chest and our desire to get Mitch Mcgovern the biggest problem lies with what we would have to give up for him.

What do you think it'd take?

Others on the radar to consider would be

Sam Reid - Sydney Swans
Kurt Tippett - Sydney Swans

Hackdorn was reporting yesterday that McGovern is having a re-think about the WCE because of the Priddis treatment during the week. If there is any truth to it (and I doubt it) it's a bit sooky lala.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby keagle on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:09 am

Anybody mentioned Charlie Cameron...?
keagle
Rookie

Postby Fat Side on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 am

keagle wrote:Anybody mentioned Charlie Cameron...?

Is he coming out of contract?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading