Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby sydney eagle on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:33 am

qrmewati wrote:Picking him wouldn't be a bad option at all, we need some outside run especially with Gaff becoming Free Agent.
Couple of inside mids like Ainsworth, Starcevich, kelly will be available for our second round picks.

Starcevich is an interesting case. He is frequently touted as a first round option in phantom drafts, but just as often falls to the second or even third round.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 am

Just thinking generically I would like the Eagles to get the following : Two inside, ball winning midfielders, one speedy outside midfielder, one crumbing, goal kicking small forward and (in a perfect world) they would all be good kicks AND good decision makers as well ! (Not much to ask for) :)
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am

There are still strong links to Oscar Allen.

Apparently, he moved into the midfield for West Perth at the end of the year.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby qrmewati on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:43 am

AFL's Mock draft has us picking Oscar Allen at pick 13 and Lochi'o Brien at pick 21, if we pick Kelly at pick 27, and then pick Liam Ryan later. This would be a good draft.
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm

sydney eagle wrote:
qrmewati wrote:Picking him wouldn't be a bad option at all, we need some outside run especially with Gaff becoming Free Agent.
Couple of inside mids like Ainsworth, Starcevich, kelly will be available for our second round picks.

Starcevich is an interesting case. He is frequently touted as a first round option in phantom drafts, but just as often falls to the second or even third round.

Apparently WCE, Sydney & Brisbane are looking at him.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby lazzas on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

Champion data have a different way of ranking the top 20 draft prospects. Based on recent performance rather than historical or clubs needs. Not the order they think the players will go however interesting.

1: Jack Higgins (Vic) – midfielder/forward
“No player has averaged more Champion Data ranking points in their junior career than Higgins. “

2: Cameron Rayner (Vic) – midfielder/forward
“Rayner has more X-factor than any other player from the 2017 draft.“

3: Jaidyn Stephenson (Vic) – midfielder/forward
“Stephenson exploded in the TAC Cup after the Championships.”

4: Andrew Brayshaw (Vic) – midfielder
“Brayshaw was one of the most consistent performers in the TAC Cup … reliably able to impact the scoreboard.”

5: Luke Davies-Uniacke (Vic) – midfielder
“Davies-Uniacke is a big ball-winner who impacts the scoreboard.”

6: Paddy Dow (Vic) – midfielder
“Dow stormed into focus with his performance at the 2017 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.”

7: Adam Cerra (Vic) – midfielder
“(Cerra) is a ball-winner who can go forward, ranking elite in disposals, contested possessions, goals and score involvements.”

8: Lachlan Fogarty (Vic) – midfielder
“Fogarty’s fantastic pressure numbers and ability to impact the scoreboard suggest he would be the ideal modern small forward.”

9: Dylan Moore (Vic) – midfielder/forward
“Moore could not have done any more in his draft year … ranking elite in contested possessions, ground ball-gets and goals.”

10: Oscar Allen (WA) – key forward
“Allen was one of the top two key forwards at the Championships for disposals, marks, contested marks and score involvements.”

11: Aaron Naughton (WA) – key defender
“Naughton epitomises a modern key defender, as a ball winner and fantastic interceptor.”

12: Hunter Clark (Vic) – midfielder/half back
“When Clark played in the midfield he averaged 129 ranking points.”

13: Charlie Constable (Vic) – midfielder
“The higher the stakes, the better Constable performed in 2017.”

14: Nick Coffield (Vic) – midfielder/half back
“Coffield is a genuine utility, playing as a half-back, half-forward and midfielder through his junior career.”

15: Brent Daniels (Vic) – forward
“Considering Daniels shared his time evenly between forward and midfield, his TAC Cup average of 112 Champion Data ranking points was impressive.”

16: Jordan Houlahan (SA) – forward
“Houlahan has been a reliable source of goals as a junior, kicking 91 goals from his 52 matches covered by Champion Data over the last three years.”

17: Sam Hayes (Vic) – ruck/forward
“Hayes was the top-ranked ruckman of the TAC Cup, performing in every key area you want from a ruckman.”

18: Oscar Clavarino (Vic) – key defender
“The intercept king of the 2017 draft class.”

19: Grian Myers (Vic) – forward
“A big-game performer, Miers kicked seven goals in a best on ground performance in the TAC Cup Grand Final.”

20: Harrison Petty (SA) – key defender
“Petty was voted as South Australia’s best player at the 2017 NAB AFL Under 18s Championships as their rock in defence.”
lazzas
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm

qrmewati wrote:AFL's Mock draft has us picking Oscar Allen at pick 13 and Lochi'o Brien at pick 21, if we pick Kelly at pick 27, and then pick Liam Ryan later. This would be a good draft.

Whether it's a good draft will be seen in about four-five years, regardless of who we take.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Brisbane will probably take Rayner at number 1. I know I would. He is ready made for AFL at only 18.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:09 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88665590z
Simpson said Friday’s draft was a balancing act for the Eagles between specific needs, best available talent and taking local talent where possible.
Most would argue the Eagles need an impact midfielder but Simpson pointed out: “I think everyone is looking for an X-factor midfielder. It is a combination of what is best available as well. Pick 13 represents a really good opportunity but those picks in the twenties as well we are excited about.”
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Kim Hackdorn was saying that the WCE are looking to draft Zac Clarke.

Coming from Hackdorn with the usual accuracy of info, we will probably take Suban
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby qrmewati on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Great, We'll have two Chris Mastens :)
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Fat Side wrote:Kim Hackdorn was saying that the WCE are looking to draft Zac Clarke.

Coming from Hackdorn with the usual accuracy of info, we will probably take Suban

It's not just from Hagdorn that this rumor is getting about.

The mere idea that we would look to pick up an ex docker reject shows just how far this football club is falling with the current coaching structure.

I'm not even sure why Clarke would want to come to the Eagles and be forth in line as a ruck - unless any job is better than no job. I hope we would not pick him up as more than a rookie! I would rather we picked up someone young like Ben Miller and hope that he was going to keep on growing while we put some strength and conditioning into him for a few years.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Kim Hackdorn was saying that the WCE are looking to draft Zac Clarke.

It's not just from Hagdorn that this rumor is getting about.

The mere idea that we would look to pick up an ex docker reject shows just how far this football club is falling with the current coaching structure.

I'm not even sure why Clarke would want to come to the Eagles and be forth in line as a ruck - unless any job is better than no job. I hope we would not pick him up as more than a rookie! I would rather we picked up someone young like Ben Miller and hope that he was going to keep on growing while we put some strength and conditioning into him for a few years.

Yep. I agree. We need a young developing ruckman.

The other take on it could be that either Hackdorn has no clue (most likely) or we are not confident of the recovery of Naitanui and/or Lycett.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Fat Side wrote:Yep. I agree. We need a young developing ruckman.

The other take on it could be that either Hackdorn has no clue (most likely) or we are not confident of the recovery of Naitanui and/or Lycett.

It would seem a like for like replacement for Giles. Except that Clarke would be better than Giles.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Yep. I agree. We need a young developing ruckman.

It would seem a like for like replacement for Giles. Except that Clarke would be better than Giles.

Yep. There are much worse options floating around than Zac Clarke.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading