Advanced  

Latest Result

Semi Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 1 Perth Stadium
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus



2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Mr Q on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Another interesting point for 2018 is that Cat-A rookies are now eligible for selection at any time, not just when elevated for an LTI. So in terms of proving yourself at AFL level, it's no harder than if you're on the main list. At the moment, we have definitely extended McInnes, and moved Francis Watson from Cat-B to Cat-A (I think Bayok is retained as Cat-B).

With Petrie retiring, Tunbridge delisted and Brophy heading home, we've definitely got a couple of rookie spots available, which could mean offering Lamb a spot there, from where it's not really any more difficult now to prove himself than on the main list. We may even have a couple more spots depending on where Tom Gorter and Jordan Snadden stand. I can't recall hearing much about either of them all year, suggesting they've not made much of an impact, but I could be completely wrong.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Mr Q wrote:Another interesting point for 2018 is that Cat-A rookies are now eligible for selection at any time, not just when elevated for an LTI. So in terms of proving yourself at AFL level, it's no harder than if you're on the main list. At the moment, we have definitely extended McInnes, and moved Francis Watson from Cat-B to Cat-A (I think Bayok is retained as Cat-B).

With Petrie retiring, Tunbridge delisted and Brophy heading home, we've definitely got a couple of rookie spots available, which could mean offering Lamb a spot there, from where it's not really any more difficult now to prove himself than on the main list. We may even have a couple more spots depending on where Tom Gorter and Jordan Snadden stand. I can't recall hearing much about either of them all year, suggesting they've not made much of an impact, but I could be completely wrong.

Gorter is a first year, Snadden a second. Both were in and out of league unable to hold a spot. Gorter had a couple of injuries I think.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm

penrith eagle wrote:Far out

Nicnat has a degenerative knee condition

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coas ... z4u3l.html

The club knew this and we have just traded away our first rounder for next year :( :(


http://weather.watoday.com.au/local-forecast/wa/perth

Medium chance of showers and thunderstorms


Oh My God! They have forecast thunderstorms over the weekend and we gave up our first rounder for next year???? What were they thinking??
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:15 pm

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/ ... ting-calls
West Coast pours plenty of resources into its recruiting department, making it one of the competition's biggest teams.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Mr Q wrote:Another interesting point for 2018 is that Cat-A rookies are now eligible for selection at any time, not just when elevated for an LTI. So in terms of proving yourself at AFL level, it's no harder than if you're on the main list. At the moment, we have definitely extended McInnes, and moved Francis Watson from Cat-B to Cat-A (I think Bayok is retained as Cat-B).

With Petrie retiring, Tunbridge delisted and Brophy heading home, we've definitely got a couple of rookie spots available, which could mean offering Lamb a spot there, from where it's not really any more difficult now to prove himself than on the main list. We may even have a couple more spots depending on where Tom Gorter and Jordan Snadden stand. I can't recall hearing much about either of them all year, suggesting they've not made much of an impact, but I could be completely wrong.

Gorter is a first year, Snadden a second. Both were in and out of league unable to hold a spot. Gorter had a couple of injuries I think.


Gorter is a composed, skilled young player who will beef up after another preseason and possibly be our best player ever!
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Pinion King wrote:http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-10-20/who-makes-our-recruiting-calls
West Coast pours plenty of resources into its recruiting department, making it one of the competition's biggest teams.


And then we go and put North Melbourne in charge.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Pinion King wrote:http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-10-20/who-makes-our-recruiting-calls
West Coast pours plenty of resources into its recruiting department, making it one of the competition's biggest teams.


And then we go and put North Melbourne in charge.

You really don't like North Melbourne, do you?
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 am

Mr Q wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:
Fat Side wrote: I expect that we may slide a few spots next year,


Then why did we trade away our first rounder for next year in the supposed super draft :roll:

I don't know I just think this is going to hurt us

I hope this team of 2nd rounders we are building are going to be good in the future


I guess it depends on how next year's draft is shaping up. It may be that the Eagles recruitment team see that there's likely little difference in the quality of player you get at 9, 19 and 29 - if so, trading backward reduces choice, but possibly not quality. It may that the Eagles have certain players that they're interested in that look (at this distance) like slipping a little - like how we wanted Sheed a couple of years ago, but correctly judged that he would be just as available at eleven as at six.

It may even be that we think that this year's draft crop is better than the general consensus.

Any of these guesses being wrong could hurt. If they're right, then it's a bold plan to regenerate the list this year.

What seems definite is that we're taking a pile of draft picks this year, including 13,21,26,32 and 37 and so we'll need at least five places free on the list, plus one for Ah Chee. Priddis, Mitchell, Giles and Butler are four, so we'd definitely be looking at two more - however after that we at 69, so might not be quite so enthusiastic there, which might give a lifeline to one of Hill, Lamb or Wellingham - but it would appear two are definitely gone from the main list at least.


Exactly! Is it a super draft in that the top 10 picks are all better than Dangerwood? Or is it a super draft in that pick 50 would be taken at pick 20 in other years?

Most of the times a super draft generally means we are looking at a large talent pool, so to move down 10 spots next year may mean we get an 8.5 player at 20 instead of getting a 9.25 at 10. But this year we get to also pick up players who would be say 7 instead of keeping our underperforming players or selecting in the arse end and ending up with 5's.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 69f0e27117

It looks like there are a few good midfield/small forward prospects within the top 30. With picks 31 and 37 as well we should replenish our list with some good talent.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 am

Aiden Bonar's would be an interesting get.

Two ACL's already are a little worrying. Mind you the 2nd one was because the first one didn't work correctly.

Chances are he will be gone before he reaches us though, but he could be that slider you get every year.

Aiden Bonar
Inside Midfielder/General Forward (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 188.6cm | 86.5kg
Build like a brick sh!thouse. After recovering from two knee surgeries after his first ACL graft didn’t take, Bonar has presence about him around the ground, mostly playing up forward as a third tall – but has pushed into the midfield for longer periods with each game he plays. His pressure is very good and he can lay bone crunching tackles. Has a good burst of speed and is strong overhead. Suggestion is he’ll end up a full time midfielder. Possesses a big upside.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Pinion King wrote:You really don't like North Melbourne, do you?


OK, I'll admit to that.

In this instance it's because I hate to see our club settling for their mediocrity.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby moogadah on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Excuse my ignorance but why - at this point in time - is next years ("super")draft considered superior to this next one?
Is it the mechanics of the 2018 draft, or do the pundits know that the quality on offer will be better this time next year? And if the latter, how is this determined?
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
User avatar
moogadah
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Block 106

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm

moogadah wrote:Excuse my ignorance but why - at this point in time - is next years ("super")draft considered superior to this next one?
Is it the mechanics of the 2018 draft, or do the pundits know that the quality on offer will be better this time next year? And if the latter, how is this determined?

Recruiters start eyeing prospects at a very young age nowadays.
They will have looked at last years 2016 u16 championship (next years draft) and assessed it as better than the year before. They would have looked at the same players in this years u18 games and compared the under age ones (next years draft) to the upper age ones (this years draft).
I think they have a very good idea as to the quality and depth of a draft years before it occurs.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm

West Coast’s decision to trade heavily into this year’s draft at the expense of the 2018 edition is a “dangerous” move, says list guru Chris Pelchen.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88637354z
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
West Coast’s decision to trade heavily into this year’s draft at the expense of the 2018 edition is a “dangerous” move, says list guru Chris Pelchen.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88637354z

Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DALBY, Google [Bot] and 1 guest