Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm

With Wellingham, Hill and Lamb gone, we will be using 6 picks in the draft.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Pinion King wrote:With Wellingham, Hill and Lamb gone, we will be using 6 picks in the draft.

Unless we go with an additional rookie. Given Cat A rookies can play from round one, there are more options.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:With Wellingham, Hill and Lamb gone, we will be using 6 picks in the draft.

Unless we go with an additional rookie. Given Cat A rookies can play from round one, there are more options.

Sorry, 6 picks for the main list draft.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:20 am

Having a look at various "Phantom Drafts" and listening to the "experts" on Fox Footy, it seems that a lot of people expect the Eagles to draft a tall player in the first round. However, having lost two of our most experienced inside midfielders (Priddis and Mitchell), it makes more sense to me to go for a strong, inside mid who can win the ball and ditsribute it accurately. What do others think ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 am

sydney eagle wrote:Having a look at various "Phantom Drafts" and listening to the "experts" on Fox Footy, it seems that a lot of people expect the Eagles to draft a tall player in the first round. However, having lost two of our most experienced inside midfielders (Priddis and Mitchell), it makes more sense to me to go for a strong, inside mid who can win the ball and ditsribute it accurately. What do others think ?

I think we need to start thinking about a Kennedy replacement- so a tall makes sense

as a general rule, teams seem to be leaving talls until a bit later because they know they take time to develop - plus free agency makes it easier to get them one they're developed.

My hope is we get Allen at our second rounders
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

I can't see us taking a tall with our 1st pick given the lack of outstanding quality in the talls available this year. There just aren't any standout Key Position Forwards in this draft that would make us pass on a quality midfielder at 13.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 am

I like Ben Miller who will be around later. Sounds very JK like. More versatility with his rucking ability as well.

We have already had an interview with him.

BEN MILLER | SUBIACO | 196CM | 98KG
If there was an MVP for the National Combine, Miller would have been a contender for it. He won the goalkicking test with 30 out of 30, the agility test (8.10 seconds) and finished 3rd in the 20m sprint (2.91 seconds). When in full flight, the Kalgoorlie product is incredibly hard to stop as he outmuscles his opponents to win hit-outs and take contested marks, but he is also very good at the ground level. This was evident in his performance against Vic Metro when he accumulated 15 possessions, won 28 hit-outs, laid five tackles, won three clearances and kicked a goal, while his direct opponent Sam Hayes finished with 17 possessions and 12 hit-outs. For a key position player, Miller is incredibly quick, his skills are neat, his athleticism is something to be admired and his desire to pressure the opposition is elite.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 am

Pinion King wrote:I like Ben Miller who will be around later. Sounds very JK like. More versatility with his rucking ability as well.

If there was an MVP for the National Combine, Miller would have been a contender for it. He won the goalkicking test with 30 out of 30, the agility test (8.10 seconds) and finished 3rd in the 20m sprint (2.91 seconds). When in full flight, the Kalgoorlie product is incredibly hard to stop as he outmuscles his opponents to win hit-outs and take contested marks, but he is also very good at the ground level. This was evident in his performance against Vic Metro when he accumulated 15 possessions, won 28 hit-outs, laid five tackles, won three clearances and kicked a goal, while his direct opponent Sam Hayes finished with 17 possessions and 12 hit-outs. For a key position player, Miller is incredibly quick, his skills are neat, his athleticism is something to be admired and his desire to pressure the opposition is elite.

Sounds like the sort of player we could use. What round is he expected to go?
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:I like Ben Miller who will be around later. Sounds very JK like. More versatility with his rucking ability as well.

Unless someone does one of those take a player way earlier then expected, 3 round onwards, maybe even rookie.

We can grab him with 37 or wait and hope he slides to 69. His combine testing may have brought him up the order a bit.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 am

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

Unless someone does one of those take a player way earlier then expected, 3 round onwards, maybe even rookie.

We can grab him with 37 or wait and hope he slides to 69. His combine testing may have brought him up the order a bit.

I wouldn't object to that strategy, but I want at least one strong inside midfielder taken earlier.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:46 am

CouchPotato wrote:
sydney eagle wrote:Having a look at various "Phantom Drafts" and listening to the "experts" on Fox Footy, it seems that a lot of people expect the Eagles to draft a tall player in the first round. However, having lost two of our most experienced inside midfielders (Priddis and Mitchell), it makes more sense to me to go for a strong, inside mid who can win the ball and ditsribute it accurately. What do others think ?

I think we need to start thinking about a Kennedy replacement- so a tall makes sense

as a general rule, teams seem to be leaving talls until a bit later because they know they take time to develop - plus free agency makes it easier to get them one they're developed.

My hope is we get Allen at our second rounders

That might be okay, but not with our first pick please.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 am

sydney eagle wrote: I wouldn't object to that strategy, but I want at least one strong inside midfielder taken earlier.

Hunter Clark and Aiden Bonar will both be good choices for #13. Both are Inside/Outside big bodied mids that can break away.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Pinion King wrote:
sydney eagle wrote: I wouldn't object to that strategy, but I want at least one strong inside midfielder taken earlier.

Hunter Clark and Aiden Bonar will both be good choices for #13. Both are Inside/Outside big bodied mids that can break away.

I'd like Clark , but I thought that Bonar was purely a key position player. Does he actually have any experience in the midfield ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Does play through midfield. Big body, athletic and pace. Had 20 odd touches in the All Stars game on GF day.

His hair would fit in with Nic Nat nicely.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:07 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/c ... er-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading