Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

If we were to draft him it would be a rookie. If we wanted him we could have grabbed him in delisted free agency for nothing.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Pinion King wrote:If we were to draft him it would be a rookie. If we wanted him we could have grabbed him in delisted free agency for nothing.

OK good point. I actually think Zac Clarke is an OK player who at the Dockers under Lion was stifled. However the same would be the case at the Eagles.

On principle I still don't like drafting an ex docker.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Pinion King wrote:If we were to draft him it would be a rookie. If we wanted him we could have grabbed him in delisted free agency for nothing.

OK good point. I actually think Zac Clarke is an OK player who at the Dockers under Lion was stifled. However the same would be the case at the Eagles.

On principle I still don't like drafting an ex docker.

On principle I'm not a fan of drafting cast-offs from other clubs. If player X is not good enough to play as a fringe player in a bottom club (and is on the downward age spiral) then that player is hardly going to be the next big thing at our club. Generally a recipe for mediocrity.

The obvious exception is the limited time/specific requirement/accept is going to be a filler situation. (Think Mitchell, Petrie ideas, and still not convinced they didn't hamper others by playing)
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

As a rookie he gets paid less.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby qrmewati on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 am

No point recruiting a 27-28 year old ruckman when we already have some backup in Mcinness and Vardy, don't think he'll be anymore serviceable than these two guys.
I would love eagles to draft a young ruckman as a rookie.
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby Streaker on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Cal Twomeys Phantom Draft

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/c ... ntom-draft

Has us taking Oscar Allen (FWD), Ryley Stoddart (HBF) and Callum Coleman-Jones (RUC/FWD) with our 1st 3 picks. Links us with Worpel (MID), McPherson (HBF), Tom North (MID), Starcevich and Ainsworth.

Tim Kelly not in the Top 30 nor is Constable.

Hope he's wrong.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Streaker wrote:Cal Twomeys Phantom Draft

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/c ... ntom-draft

Has us taking Oscar Allen (FWD), Ryley Stoddart (HBF) and Callum Coleman-Jones (RUC/FWD) with our 1st 3 picks. Links us with Worpel (MID), McPherson (HBF), Tom North (MID), Starcevich and Ainsworth.

Tim Kelly not in the Top 30 nor is Constable.

Hope he's wrong.

Seriously?

Worpel, Allen, Starcevich and Ainsworth I know, but the others no idea.

That order looks nothing like any other phantom draft I have seen over the past few days.

There was some talk around that Allen is very similar to Fyfe as a junior. If we take him, put him in the middle and leave him there.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Oscar Allen - just cant see it. Another not quite tall enough key forward. He can go to the Dockers and stand back to back with Kersten and McCarthy..... If we dont take a mid I'd be very surprised.

As a few point out, its time we pick a developing ruck for long term. One of our last picks I'd guess.

I'm keen on Liam Ryan and Schloithe with some late, if not rookie picks. Remind me, is the rookie draft on straight afterwards, or do we have to wait a few days
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:18 am

Perrythegreat wrote:Oscar Allen - just cant see it. Another not quite tall enough key forward. He can go to the Dockers and stand back to back with Kersten and McCarthy..... If we dont take a mid I'd be very surprised.

As a few point out, its time we pick a developing ruck for long term. One of our last picks I'd guess.

I'm keen on Liam Ryan and Schloithe with some late, if not rookie picks. Remind me, is the rookie draft on straight afterwards, or do we have to wait a few days

The rookie draft is immediately after the ND, but is not part of the TV coverage.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 am

Twomey was completely wrong last year. See if he does again.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:22 am

Fat Side wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:Oscar Allen - just cant see it. Another not quite tall enough key forward. He can go to the Dockers and stand back to back with Kersten and McCarthy..... If we dont take a mid I'd be very surprised.

The rookie draft is immediately after the ND, but is not part of the TV coverage.

Not quite.

The main draft is on Friday, the PSD (not that we see it really happen any more) and the rookie draft are on Monday.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Some late talk that we are very interested in Jaiden Stephenson, who they think will be a big slider because of the minor heart issue that was found at the combine.

If he is there then grab him. He has x-factor all over him.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:25 am

Pinion King wrote:Some late talk that we are very interested in Jaiden Stephenson, who they think will be a big slider because of the minor heart issue that was found at the combine.

If he is there then grab him. He has x-factor all over him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-24/d ... recruiters

But Bewick said the drama about Stephenson's health was a gross overreaction and that the forward-midfielder had X-factor and could "win a game off his own boot".

Not sure I take much from Bewick's comments. I don't usually take notice of West Perth people.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby qrmewati on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 am

It seems we are taking lochie O Brien with our first pick, and also committed to pick Liam Ryan with our picks in 30s.
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 am

qrmewati wrote:It seems we are taking lochie O Brien with our first pick, and also committed to pick Liam Ryan with our picks in 30s.

O'Brian is a very good pick. Has what we need. Pace, outsode run and skill.

If there I would still take Stephenson.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading